L'ultima Diana, the last Diana, F-16 ADF MM7236

Sorry to bother you Paolo,but I got just one question and then I will try to shut up :)

This part (marked red),does it contains light? Do I put clear part here or just paint it somehow?

b5KM4Qm.jpg

BTW

I painted tail with Antrachit Gray - Model Master 2101,as per instruction from TwoBobs decals.

Then I painted some top fuselage with Gunship Gray - Model Master 1723 as per instruction from TwoBobs decals and Eduard kit.

Well,just to all be alerted,those two paints are almost identical. I bet someone will not notice dofference at all.

I think Model Master got it all wrong with that AnthracitGray ,RAL 7016.

No way I want to buy another paint at the moment,so what will be best to do now,add a little black in that Anthracitegray ?

Sorry to bother you Paolo,but I got just one question and then I will try to shut up :)/>/>

This part (marked red),does it contains light? Do I put clear part here or just paint it somehow?

b5KM4Qm.jpg

yes, that is a light but a rear facing light, bulb is almost invisble made just to light the refuelling boom, paint as top fuselage and forgot it is a light! Only in 1/24 scale you can think about reproducing the rear facing small bulb!

More interesting is the antenna to the left of that bulb: the rear part of the dark area around the cokpit started from this antenna to go up to the pitot tube.

Here Eduard made a big mistake since in their painting guide the dark area starts at the bulb.

In this photo I think you can see the cotton wire we put before painting the dark area, also note the bulb and how much faded was the gunship gray

25jfmol.jpg

Edited by Paolo Maglio

BTW

I painted tail with Antrachit Gray - Model Master 2101,as per instruction from TwoBobs decals.

Then I painted some top fuselage with Gunship Gray - Model Master 1723 as per instruction from TwoBobs decals and Eduard kit.

Well,just to all be alerted,those two paints are almost identical. I bet someone will not notice dofference at all.

I think Model Master got it all wrong with that AnthracitGray ,RAL 7016.

No way I want to buy another paint at the moment,so what will be best to do now,add a little black in that Anthracitegray ?

Well, I have to say I don't have Model Master paints handy (I use Gunze's)so cannot give any suggestion without a photo of your model. But I can guess you forgot about Haze Paint! All Italian ADF Vipers got Haze Paint before delivery; to simulate this paint you need to add around 5% of aluminium paint to the two camouflage grays. That way the Gunship Gray will appear much lighter while the Light Gray for lower surfaces and front fuselage will appear darker. Mind no Haze paint should go on the radome and on the Anthracite Gray areas painted by me.

This photo I made in the shelter minutes before the first take off shows the top fuselage faded colour quite well:

audp50.jpg

audp50.jpg

Edited by Paolo Maglio

Thank you again :)

Ok,I will try with Haze paint for sure ,but for now I got a nightmare to deal with sanding whole intake (on this kit is visible all through the end ), and another nightmare to

implement wheel wells area to fuselage (everything seems to align wrong) :)

Before you need to much slivovic, make a FOD cover on the intake! :cheers:

Viper modelling means to fill and sand intakes! I know...and it s always the same, even with Tamiya! Oh and maybe do not follow the kit instruction, first glue the 2 upper halfs of the fuselage, then build intake and wheel wells, that all now in the bottom fuselage and NOW connect upper and lower fuselage! ofc always do proper dry fitting and correcting before glueing. That is the key to success when making a kinetic viper. Using liquid cement too, and I had to fill only small gaps with superglue. No putty was needed! (sanded superglue is much better when it comes to rescribe lost panellines!). When remember your jayhawk I would say: keep up the good work! Živjeli! :cheers:

Paolo,if I may ask,what is the color of that edge of intake on Diana? (marked red on image)It seems darker than light gray of rest of under fuselage.

Also,that stick inside intake,is it black or some other color?

Thank you in advance mate.

M7iBPJOl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Paolo,if I may ask,what is the color of that edge of intake on Diana? (marked red on image)It seems darker than light gray of rest of under fuselage.

Also,that stick inside intake,is it black or some other color?

Thank you in advance mate.

M7iBPJOl.jpg

Thank you Holmes for the "up" I was missing this, sorry.

On all Italian F-16 the intake lips was actually same colour as lower fuselage. But, that said, you must mind the lips were covered with some kind of RAM. This material was some sort of soft plastic, gummy and a little sticky when you touch it, so it was prone to collect dirt and dust much more than the rest of the fuselage. Sometimes it was also added to the whole cutting edges of wing and tail planes since it is good also to avoid paint chipping and corrosion. My suggestion is to paint the area with standard gray to which you can add a drop of black or you can add some black pigments when the grey is dry. :rolleyes:

Beautiful work Paolo,nice collection :)

Must say your references and help is esential to me ,for my build,and for that,big big thanks.

About fuel tanks,300 and 370 gallon,are they also painted in Haze paint,or they just normal gray ? Btw,in Eduard kit it says they are Light ghost gray,but on pictures it seems that they are

same color as lower fuselage,which is neutral gray.

About fuel tanks,300 and 370 gallon,are they also painted in Haze paint,or they just normal gray ? Btw,in Eduard kit it says they are Light ghost gray,but on pictures it seems that they are

same color as lower fuselage,which is neutral gray.

Same as lower fuselage, Haze paint, lot of dirt especially to the rear, some zynch chromate yellow was visible where the paint chipped out but I respried a quite similar gray over it. Note that the point of each fuel tank was covered with a two componet very dark gray resin to prevent furthere chipping.

Lovely line-up Paolo, you just need to add a 1/144 Viper to complete the line-up ;)/> Or maybe someone will release a 1/24 Viper one day....

Let's hope in 1/24 so I will be able to paint Diana myself ! :woot.gif: