1/32 F/A-18B(D!) VFA-125 "RED AIR"

Inspired by the 1/32 F/A-18 Twin-seats that have been posted on this forum, this was started as a "D" with every intention of copying MARCEL's excellent BENGALS (VMFA-225) model. I had even got hold of the 'holy grail' of Hornet decal sheets (MAW32-001)........what could go wrong?

Well a combination of car journey, decal sheet stored in same box of bottle of thinners (lid not fully secure) put paid to that. What was I to do?

Two Bobs (and in 1/48 both Two Bobs & Fightertown) came to the rescue with their excellent VFA-125 Rough Raiders sheet. Unfortunately, the construction (cockpit & vertical stab's) was too far progressed for my limited skills. So what you see here is a "D" painted as a "B" (albeit with some of the "D" lumps & bumps left off).

Painting was achieved using Halfords Appliance White (UK auto repair dealer paint, decanted & sprayed), testors Medium Green & humbrol Vietnam Dark green. The contrast was too stark (something in me screaming that Hornets just don't look right in "green"). ARC to the rescue with an excellent article back on 13 Dec 2010 "Weathering with Dullcote by David Rapasi. The article explained how to put some matt white into the 1st coat of matt varnish. Whilst I’m pretty sure that the real machines aren't that faded, it's my model & i like the look!

Aircraft configure as 'Red Air' with a training AIM-7 Sparrow (Fox-1), 'winder and an asymmetrical 'bag' fit to actually give this legacy hornet some legs.

IMG_4138-1.jpg

Edited by FIGHTS ON

Now, that is cool. I like the color scheme a lot. Reminds me of my Arctic Hawg...:) So, you add few drops of white to your clear coat...interesting. I'll have to try and find that article you mentioned. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

• 5 months later...