Ford GT40 colors

I've seen debates as to the color of this car between black with silver or navy with white. Anyone have a definitive answer?

Any other 1966 circuit winners, placers would also be of interest.

Phil Marchese

Back around 1976 when it (probably a clone) was in the Harrah's Automobile Collection, it was without a doubt black with silver. I know Ford repainted a couple of other GT-40s to look like #2 for promotional tours, but they all had the same black/silver scheme as the original.

Phil

Back around 1976 when it (probably a clone) was in the Harrah's Automobile Collection, it was without a doubt black with silver. I know Ford repainted a couple of other GT-40s to look like #2 for promotional tours, but they all had the same black/silver scheme as the original.

Phil

Thanks Phil,

That is the more informed conclusions I ve seen too. What made me ask is many sources just a few years after the race oddly are less accurate.

Phil

• 9 months later...

Through 1965 the Ford Gt40s wore the American racing colors of white and blue. In 1966 Ford chose to paint their GT40s with their available factory colors as used on Ford assembly lines. The #2 at LeMans was black with silver stripes. Bruce McLaren painted a silver fern leaf and the letters N. Z. on the right front fender in honor of his home country of New Zealand.

DSC00148-vi.jpg

Dan Gurney's car at Sebring was Guards blue with white stripes and many people assume that was a LeMans scheme. There was a GT40 at LeMans in Guards blue and white stripes but it was the Andretti/Bianchi car.......

DSC00150-vi.jpg

Poor pics I know, I really need to reshoot these.

Here's a photo of the 1966 winner before it was loaded on a plane and shipped to France. The silver/black/white roundels stand out well.

Ford-GT40-Mk-II.jpg

Now, the Dan Gurney #2 at Sebring in 1966 was blue with white stripes. That may be where the confusion lies.

Sebring-1966-03-26-002.jpg

Edited by junkman3353