Bombs in Progress

P1060418_zpse99a3ef1.jpg

I have done the first round of light grey FS 36375 Hu 127 on the AIM-7's. All have been worked on and made cableducts on them each and every missile. After that airbrushed them white, after that brush painted them yellow 12 of Revell and Humbrol 119 and left them for some time. Now I did the missiles of the F-15 found the energy to tape them all up for the grey. Took me several nights to carefully have the tape at the same place. I used 2mm tape to get them all the same size. They are looking fine now, and second round I do them again to be sure its fully covering grey the way they should be.

After the second round I will brush paint the vanes with a home made mix consisiting of humbrol paints, as I did do a test with Revell paints, but that did not work out the way I wanted it. The mix was ok, but nightmare to paint with it even heavy thinned paint the thinner was out of the paint in few minutes, making it hard to make speed while painting in series production. So I dropped using the Revell paints and go for humbrol and hopefully that goes much better.

The vanes are black with a shine of metal on them like the paint seen on the F-22

comments welcome biggrin.gif

Edited by Eric2020
  • 3 weeks later...

P1060457_zpsc72d42bd.jpg

I made progress on the next series of weapons. Painted all over white humbrol 34 and after drying time airbrushed the yellow revell 12. Next will be the brown bands for which I use humbrol 119. One missile on this picture remains white and is a AS-37 which will be Green.

I am not sure on the bands on the AGM-45 Shrike I can find pics of it, the yellow is alright, but I am not certain on the other colour bands behind and between the vanes of this missile. Much apriciated if someone can help me on that.

Edited by Eric2020
  • 1 month later...

I have done the second run of grey on the aim-7's. Checking now for small errors due to masking them. But then have to paint all the vanes. Question running now is what colour should I paint them? On pics they look not black but close to it with a metalic shine on them.

What are most doing?

I painted them black?

I painted them very dark grey?

Did create a goodlooking mix?

I prefer humbrol for brush painting

Edited by Eric2020

Hi Eric, for the wings and fins (vanes) on the AIM-7 paint them a flat gunmetal for AIM-7F and later versions, they were white on the earlier Sparrows. For the AGM-45 Shrike this pic should help:

http://www.aviacionargentina.net/foros/attachment.php?attachmentid=12206&d=1379261528

some pics do show the light green bands but most just had the yellow and brown bands.

Jari

Thanks Finn and Crackerjazz. I have been looking for paints for the vanes. Like you say Finn, that could be done. I was thinking to use Revell 9, but i cannot make speed in series production. Reason is that one keeps thinning the paint. So now turn to humbroll 201 metalic black. Do one first to see how it looks and if looking good proceed painting them all in that colour. Keep in mind they all will be matt varnished when dry.

Here you see them unpacked from the masking tape.

P1060741_zps73948752.jpg

Here a look at how I work on them. pointing upwards are corrected and checked. downward pointing have to be done.

P1060757_zpsd9c6b680.jpg

Edited by Eric2020

The tails and vins of the sparrow have been done. Left to do is the head of the AIM-7's. As the base is white as primer for the other colours. The Head is perfect base for hand painting the head of the missile. This I do with Vallejo white. Not Tamiya as that is not handsome with the brush. Vallejo does a better job with the brush.

P1060961_zpsdthdprq8.jpg

Edited by Eric2020
  • 8 months later...

AIM-120A

This is the A version of the AIM-120. This version does not have a cableduct. Sanded away all the detail, engraved the top of the missile and drilled hole between the forward wings. At this point it will not be vissible when added to the model like the F-16 or F/A-18

.P1070254_zpshzy1hojc.jpg

comments welcome

Edited by Eric2020

After being cleaned getting last dust of, they are painted White Humbrol 34. This white serves as a primer and better to get the yellow comming out nice after 2 runs.

P1070258_zpsyyp1fsh2.jpg

AIM-9B after the first run of yellow Revell 12 is the most yellow I have seen. Airbrushing is just fine instead of brushpainting it.

P1070255_zpsztzoiyyb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi Eric,

I followed up on your suggestion to check out your "Bombs in Progress" page. I had no idea you were that much working on aircraft weapons. You must have a big load of this stuff by now. In my humble opinion you have done a very professional job on these weapons. I think it is very impressive, what you have done. :worship:/>

Sietse

Edited by Sietse