Hey guys,

I'm doing a CF-188B for this GB

I think I saw a picture on a site of a B loaded with HARMS, and the name Balkan Rats in the picture title ?

--I'm I dreaming ? - if so I may go another route on this subject.

Yup, what Charlie said. To carry/fire the HARM, a little black box called the HARM CLC (Command Launch Computer, I think it means) must be installed. CF-18s don't have those. When we were in Doha Qatar during Gulf War 1, the USAF units there offered to give us HARMs, but we had to decline (couldn't launch them).

Is it possible the pic you saw had Maverick Gs installed? They were carried in the Balkans, as were Laser Guided Bombs.

ALF

-Thank you Charlie and ALF,

great background info - love it.

I may do somthing with BSU-49/B's or GBU-16's ?

Charlie

While the 'balutes' (don't know how to spell that one!) have been tested in Canada, I don't think they were ever deployed - and they certainly weren't commonly loaded.

We used to fly with 2 types of Mk 82. Low drag with conical fins, or the optional high/low drag snake-eye fins. Most common were snake-eye (SE).

Mk 83s were rarely used, but would be mostly low-drag, as were Mk 84s. I've never planned to use Mk 84s high drag - too much frag to worry about!

For GBUs, it's better to go with any of the GBU-12 (2000 lb), GBU-10 (500 lb), or GBU-24 (2000 lb). Those were most common in the inventory. Latest weapons can now include the Enhanced Paveway 2 (EP2) LGBs.

Canada has not had a large variety of A/G weapons. Although the F/A-18 can carry all sorts of stuff, the Canadian Forces has been famously reluctant to authorise it, yet alone procure the weapons.

ALF