Hello all...

I've had this decal set from Arrow Decals in my stash for ages, so I thought I'd pick up a kit and get to work... I picked up a 1/72 Fujimi NA Sabre kit... Now I wasn't too sure about whether it was the right wing, because as you can see the decal pack calls for a Mk IV. However found a photo on the internet of a 422 with a 6-3 wing so the Sabre F30k. Moreover I was worried about doing this subject because I saw that Ax365 did one, however this has a slightly different scheme and (I think) a different scale... so here goes.

Here is the kit and decals. I bought it with a Edward photoetch set, but I realized the kit's details are pretty fantastic so I decided not to use them. I've got a 1/72 Heller early mark Sabre coming and that might be a better place to use it.

3S1.jpg

The Decal details. It depicts a deployment scheme from 1953, where the 422 squadron relocated to Germany.

3S2.jpg

The control panel: my camera doesn't really focus in on details that well, but I used dials from Mike grant decals that I sealed with future to give it that glass dials look.

3S3.jpg

The cockpit itself. Black overall. I used some rub and buff to simulate wear. The seatbelts were made out of tape, with metal foil and fuse wire for different bits.

3S4.jpg

3S5.jpg

Finally I added some extra bits to the wheel bay to enclose them and add some details like framing.

3S6.jpg

Well that's that... I put all the assemblies together this evening but didn't take any pictures... I also painted the bays in a shade of Olive drab. Tomorrow I'll probably put the rest of the assemblies together and put the gloss black primer on. Hopefully I can start putting alclad down by the weekend. After that I might do a Banshee in an RCN scheme.

Edited by -Neu-
  • 2 weeks later...
Moreover I was worried about doing this subject because I saw that Ax365 did one, however this has a slightly different scheme and (I think) a different scale... so here goes.

Neu,

So I built one. Who cares. Nothing to say nobody else can build a 422 Sqn Sabre. Build away, my good man! The one I built was the 1/48 Hasegawa Sabre 4 boxing of their line of Sabres.

I like the detail in the your cockpit. Well done for 1/72 scale. Any more progress since these first photos?

Good luck with the finish.

Keep it up.

Mike

Neu,

So I built one. Who cares. Nothing to say nobody else can build a 422 Sqn Sabre. Build away, my good man! The one I built was the 1/48 Hasegawa Sabre 4 boxing of their line of Sabres.

I like the detail in the your cockpit. Well done for 1/72 scale. Any more progress since these first photos?

Good luck with the finish.

Keep it up.

Mike

Thanks Mike for the kind words... I just didn't want to step on anybody's toes.

I've got the plane all constructed but I've basically put it aside for now. I discovered with the help of another member that the scheme isn't correct for the MkV. So I'm sort of looking for some decals and waiting for a heller kit to come in so I can build the 422 scheme. In the mean time I'll probably start on a RCN Banshee.

Edited by -Neu-
Neu,

So I built one.

Mike

Hearing Mike say "I built one" when referring to a Sabre is like hearing Guy Lafleur saying "I scored a few goals".

Master of the understatement!

This one is looking good, Neu.

ALF

So a little update...

I basically got the model to this:

4e1408be.jpg

Looks okay... though the headrest broke off so I made a new one out of styrene. I also ordered this 427 Squadron set from Canmilair. I liked it because the photo shows a good panel differentiation, which I wanted to do for this model. Finally I received the heller kit in the mail... looks pretty good so maybe I'll start on it in the meantime.

Edited by -Neu-
  • 3 weeks later...

So... sorry for the delay in posting, but I've been busy. I received the Canmil decals this afternoon so this project moving forward... finally. While I was waiting for my Canmilair decals, I started on the Heller 1/72 F-86F Kit... done as a Sabre IV. I used a Eduard Zoom kit for the cockpit, and rescribed the entire plane. I'll have a few more photos later tonight but... here's a terrible photo of the cockpit with some PE.

b7fa0169.jpg

Some weight added to the model.

414a77c8.jpg

I'll try to take a photo of the assembled model before I hit it with the black gloss. I've also put the gloss paint the Fujimi Sabre IV so I'll get some photos of that too tonight. With this project moving along I'll also start posting photos of my next project too.

Edited by -Neu-
As promised...

Here's the Heller Sabre....

ebde1002.jpg

Here are both of them after I gave them a good coat of Alclad Gloss Black... They sit in a cool dry room I know has very little dust at all.

7385573c.jpg

How do you like the Heller Sabre? I'm currently building the new Airfix (See Airfix Group Build) and am having such a blast that I was thinking of getting the Heller kit so I can do Mig Mad Marine. If its not so hot then maybe I'll just get another Airfix and try to find the decals elseware.

I really like what you're doing here. I'll be following from here on out

How do you like the Heller Sabre? I'm currently building the new Airfix (See Airfix Group Build) and am having such a blast that I was thinking of getting the Heller kit so I can do Mig Mad Marine. If its not so hot then maybe I'll just get another Airfix and try to find the decals elseware.

I really like what you're doing here. I'll be following from here on out

(excuse any errors in this message; I wrote it while on a bus while going to a meeting)

Thanks! I'll go check out your build.

The heller kit is interesting. If you ignore the raised panel lines it actually looks a bit like the fujimi kit. Certainly they are indistinguishable in the three, five or whatever foot test. Still the fujimi one to me is one of the nicest kits you can buy. The heller kit's cockpit is rudimentary, and even with photo etch it only equals the fujimi one. The molding is cripser and has better detail. The biggest plus is heller's price; I got mine for like $4.50 off of eBay. However the fujimi one's msrp in japan is 680Â¥ so it might be worth checking out some online retailers first. Overall however I can easily recommend the heller kit, with the provisio that it needs a little tlc to get it looking great. Then again if you are a long time airfix guy, this should be nothing new.

If you decide to go down the Airfix route, you are welcome to my fujimi decals for mad marine. I'll use some of it's stencils but all of the key bits will be there.

(excuse any errors in this message; I wrote it while on a bus while going to a meeting)

Thanks! I'll go check out your build.

The heller kit is interesting. If you ignore the raised panel lines it actually looks a bit like the fujimi kit. Certainly they are indistinguishable in the three, five or whatever foot test. Still the fujimi one to me is one of the nicest kits you can buy. The heller kit's cockpit is rudimentary, and even with photo etch it only equals the fujimi one. The molding is cripser and has better detail. The biggest plus is heller's price; I got mine for like $4.50 off of eBay. However the fujimi one's msrp in japan is 680Â¥ so it might be worth checking out some online retailers first. Overall however I can easily recommend the heller kit, with the provisio that it needs a little tlc to get it looking great. Then again if you are a long time airfix guy, this should be nothing new.

If you decide to go down the Airfix route, you are welcome to my fujimi decals for mad marine. I'll use some of it's stencils but all of the key bits will be there.

I should have guessed the kit would have raised panel lines. :doh: The new Airfix kit is killer. I might have to go that route. Send me a PM and let me know what you want for your MIG MAD MARINE decals. :yahoo:

Edited by Dirkpitt289
  • 3 weeks later...

A bit of a teaser... I'm going to be done in the next couple of days and will take some photos with a better camera. The Mk V is complete but the Mk IV is progressing along... I got it decaled and the first glosscoat down. Next is to weather it, put a semigloss on it and call'er done.

d0243967.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well after a long delay I finally got a camera to take some nicer photos. Actually I took photos from my Nikon SLR a few weeks ago, but I can't find a cord so I borrowed a point and shootand took some photos.... here they are. They were fun kits, caused some issues but overall they were nice. Hope you enjoyed the photos. Now onto the Banshee!

4B5.jpg

4B4.jpg

4B3.jpg

4B6.jpg

4B7.jpg

4B9.jpg

Neu: Very nice looking Swords..and they look even better in RCAF markings. One item that many modellers miss is that raised panel at the forward tip of the dorsal fin...Canadair Sabres did not have a raised panel but there was a flush vent in that position.

Now on with the Banjo!

Barney