Engines for 1/144 707

JT-3C's to depict an early 707-1xx if that helps

You can't build a -120 series 707 from the Airfix kit. The wing is totally wrong, the fuselage is too long, and the wing/body fairing is completely different. The Airfix kit is a 707-420 Intercontinental. You want the Revell kit (any boxing, no matter what it says on the box). OOTB it's a 707-120/120B depending on the engines it has. The non-fan versions (including the fairly recent United "720" boxing) give you the JT3C engines.

J

Edited by Jennings
You can't build a -120 series 707 from the Airfix kit. The wing is totally wrong, the fuselage is too long, and the wing/body fairing is completely different. The Airfix kit is a 707-420 Intercontinental. You want the Revell kit (any boxing, no matter what it says on the box). OOTB it's a 707-120/120B depending on the engines it has. The non-fan versions (including the fairly recent United "720" boxing) give you the JT3C engines.

J

Bugs PM sent.

I'm not strictly going for 100% accuracy on this one :) its just a quick build to hone my skills before I move onto some particularly expensive kits within the stash (Airfix Nimrod or Airfix 1/72 Concorde). Taken a few months off building and just want to get this 707 and the accompanying decal sheet out the way as it has been on the desk for nigh on 3 years and has lost its engines to either the dreaded carpet monster or the bin when I was decorating a few months back. However Jennings thank you for making me aware of the differences even after reading several 707 related articles I was still a little confused as to the different variations, the 707 is somthing of a minefield.

James

Edited by Jcarr162000

Got your addy and will get the engines crated up and shipped to you. Glad I could help and I am glad to see another modeler that doesn't always go for 100% accurate as I doubt that will ever happen. Always something wrong for some body. Any way, glad to be of help to a fellow modeler and enjoy.. Happy modeling.

Frank

ATL

after reading several 707 related articles I was still a little confused as to the different variations, the 707 is somthing of a minefield.

There's always my article, the most complete one there is. IMHO. :thumbsup:

http://airlinercafe.com/page.php?id=72

But in short---a 707-420 posing as a -120 is about as wrong as it gets, frankly. It's like Hornet vs Super Hornet. Look a lot alike, but almost everything is different. Just swapping engines will get you a -320 though if you want a different airine etc. Note, not the far more common -320B or -320C. (A big problem is that many photos etc labeled as "-320" are really the -320B--the original basic -320 isn't very common)

I would someday like to have nice, big, clear, overhead shots of all the main 707 variants to help show the "overall" appearance/differences, rather than just focusing on small bits and details one at a time. But heck, it's hard to find nice, big, clear overhead shots of planes that are current and common.

Edited by David Hingtgen