Fantastic Plastic SA-43 Hammerhead in 1/72, Done!

Enclosed some pics of my SA-43 Hammerhead.

Assembly of the fuselage was quick and easy. I used a Pattex 5mins epoxy glue. By doing so I still could make some minor adjustments.

I decided to fill the gaps for the underwing pylons and to create a "clean" Hammerhead. The pylons need to be placed in the bend of the wing (if you decide to use them).

The size of the kit can be compared with a 1/72nd scale F-16.

The following colours were used:

Preshading met Xtracolor black X404.

Fuselage Xtracolor X131 FS36231. Wing leading edge Xtracolor X318 West Pac Security Service Blue.

I've added some weathering. Used the airbrush and some drybrushing to do this. I hope you can see it on the pictures.

The wheels from the kit are replaced by spare parts. Front wheel from a 1/72 Apache and the 4 wheel from main landing gear from 1/72 F-16C Revell kit.

Hope you like it.

DSCN2485.JPG

DSCN2486.JPG

DSCN2487.JPG

I've been a fan of the SA-43 since it first appeared on the TV screen. I've tried all types of kits, from the wretched Spacemam kit and its even crappier recasts to the not too bad, but still needs some work MMI kit. But the Fantastic Plastic one seems like the best of the lot. Although if I do one, I'll need to find a pilot to stick into it (and mod the helmet for).

Very nice job there!

great to see one on wheels for a change.

how did you like the build yourself? i have a resin 1/48 one and its been nothing but headaches and a part time project over the past 5 years... :thumbsup:

The build was quick and easy. The only tricky part is the landing gear. The fron landing gear is quite fragile. Take care when removing and glueing it into its place. First put the main landing gear and then the landing gear doors. I did not glue the main landing gear. It fits so tight that no glue is required.

This project took 2 weeks on and off to finish.

How is the quality of the kit? Any issues like air bubbles, or wonky part asymmetry?

The quality of the kit is quite good. I only noticed some tiny air bubbles in the canopy. Once it was painted you don't notice them any more.

Personally I did not like the wheels, the pylons and the missiles.

That is why I replaced the weels to give it more a fighter like look. Missiles and pylons are the poorest parts of the kit; however when you look at pics of the real thing they quite adequately look like the real thing.

That's reassuring. I had bought their 1:144 UD-4L dropship, and was very disappointed by the kit's inappropriate asymmetry, as well as the softness of the details. (It was patterned by Alfred Wong, mind you.) I've been looking forward to a 1:72 Hammerhead for quite some time.