1/48 NF-14D VX-9 VANDY 254

Without doubt, you have made an outstanding model here, and what I am about to say isn't so much a critique as a question.

A lot of builders of F-14's go for the same sort of weathering pattern (give or take) as you have done here, and when I look at photo's of the real thing, it is certainly there (to an extent anyway) but do you happen to know WHY?

It seems particular to the F-14 and I have often wondered why it happens. Is the paint finish on the real deal particularly naff and prone to discolouration in that pattern?

Anyway, yours is an awesome build and it is far far better than anything I could hope to acheive, so big kudos and massive thumbs up from me.

:bandhead2:

matt

When I first saw it, I thought the weathering was a little bit too much. But after looking at some pictures and reading others' explanations on some other sites, I understand it is very accurate. Congratulations! The only thing I was curious about (and this occurred to me when I first saw the pictures) is that for some reason I cannot articulate, the paint seemed a little too thick around some places like the glove vanes. Nonetheless, it is extremely subtle and perhaps now even the case in reality (just my misperception from the image). Overall, a superb job. I wish I had half the skills and the courage to try attempt something like this and create a beauty...

Edited by Janissary

WOW...she is really beautiful...I have just one question....how do you make the nose-cover for the sidewinder?? I may be a stupid question, but I have plans to make some for my Barak...

Finn-Ove

WOW...she is really beautiful...I have just one question....how do you make the nose-cover for the sidewinder?? I may be a stupid question, but I have plans to make some for my Barak...

Finn-Ove

Thank you!

The Sidewinder head seeker cover is a resin bit as well the missile. But the covers are also produced by Doctorpepperesin.com

Simone.

I have used the Tamiya Polyester Putty with zimmerit coating. The color is a very dark grey.

Best regards, Simone.

Freakin great weathering!!! What was your technique? How did you do it?

Amazing...speechless...maybe the best F-14 I've seen for years. To be honest I thought with your F-18 that you "lost it " somewhere and it was not that "realistic", but with that model I can promise you that I'll keep it for reference for my Tomcat. Once again...BRAVO... :monkeydance:

His weathering is 100% accurate! I have seen this jet in person, he got it exactly right. He worked from over 30-40 pics. Question for you, have you seen this jet in person or any Tomcat for that matter? How do you know it's too splotchy? :(

Great job again Simone!

Mike

With splotchy I mean a pattern that to me says it's artifical. Not natural. But I really depends on the angle or side you look at it. Like I said, the top is absolutely stunning. 100% for sure. The bottom isn't, but not by much. It's just a tad less natural. Something in the pattern. Can't put my finger on it, which is why it's so difficult to make in the first place. And there's also the chance the real yet invokes the same plotchy feeling. I wouldn't know for sure until I see it, but without having seen it I would guess less splotchy, or less pattern.

But by no means does this mean the builder f'ed it up. On the contrary, it ranks as one of the best Cat's I've ever seen. I couldn't get anywhere near this amount of realism. But remember, this forum is also a place to discuss where improvements can be made. Wouldn't make much sense if everyone would just vent the same opinion, regarless of the actual quality of the build, or any room for critique.

No I haven't seen any VX jets up close, and yes I have seen a number of Cats in real life. None flying unfortunately :(. No 2 look the same, and some look pretty worn and dirty, which opens up a range of possibilities for us to create.

Edited by THX1138
No I haven't seen any VX jets up close, and yes I have seen a number of Cats in real life. None flying unfortunately ;). No 2 look the same, and some look pretty worn and dirty, which opens up a range of possibilities for us to create.

Fortunately, Mike and I both have seen our fair share of fleet jets and Simone's weatering looks very natural. I will agree that no 2 F-14's weather alike, but Simone's interpretation was based on a number of photos provided to him by Mike.

Mike's pretty much the resident VX-9/VX-30 guru, and he knows those jets like the back of his hand.

Holy @#!! That is some amazing work! I like seeing models that depict an aircraft with major corrosion control work done to it! Looking at the tires/hubs, the touch up painted areas around panels and hinges, you have absolutely brought this aircraft to LIFE!!! Well done! I think you have inspired many (including myself)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

BEST 1/48 F-14 I'VE SEEN....EVER!!!! Spectacular work!!

Are you writing that book (or is it a DVD) any time soon? Please do as I'll be first in line!

Rob

Thanks Rob,

yes, I'm recording the videos for a DVD...

Cheers, Simone.

• 4 months later...

I have lost count of the number of F-14s in 1/72 and 1/48 that I've seen (and marvelled at) online; most of them have awesome weathering from a little to a lot, and many are detailed to infinity. I have to say this is absolutely the best I have seen in all departments, and can only echo piper19, gonzalo et al -if you PhotoShopped a real-life background into some of those pics, no-one would know it wasn't the real deal! Top turn! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited by ChippyWho