Common nicknames that weren't/aren't really used after all

People in the program referred to the SR-71 as "the SR" or "the jet". Lockheed used the term Blackbird in some of their propaganda as in the films, "The Blackbirds Are Flying" and "The Blackbirds Are Operational". Both of which were classified SECRET when they were produced and only declassified after the program was ended in 1990. The term, "HABU" was supposedly invented by Japanese/Okinawans plane spotters and eventually picked up by the USAF folks who usually used it to refer to the crewmen rather than the aircraft itself.

Darwin

Edited by yardbird78
What makes you think most of them know... or care?

My girls boss flew Sukhoi in Chechenya, he didnt have a clue what a "frog foot" was, but knew exactly what a "Flanker" is.

There no different to us really, "Blackjack" isnt what they call the Tu-160, despite the fakt it isnt an 'insulting' name.

I didnt get the full story on what names they use for our jets (I mean western)...

I know that they widely embraced both "Flanker " and "Fulcrum" as names for the Su-27 and MiG-29.

It is my understanding that the Su-25 was called "Rook" by the Russians. The presence of a fair bit of artwork incorporating the rook on Su-25s would seem to back that up.

I also understand that the Tu-160 is frequently refered to as "White Swan" or just "Swan" by the Russians. I don't know how true that is, but bearing in mind theaircraft are painted overall white and their wings flex up a fair degree once flying; you can see where that name would come from.

Growing up in Canada, I heard quite few nicknames tossed about for aircraft in Canadian service; some turned out to be factual and others nonsense:

The CF-104 was often refered to as "Widowmaker" though the two or three former pilots of the type I met cringed at the mention of it. They said that the press made up that term and the public ran with it. They NEVER used it themselves.

I heard a similar story about the CF-101 being refered to as the "Maytag" or "Washing Machine" as it was said that the engines made a particular sound on takeoff that remined someone of a washing machine starting up. The couple of ex Voodoo guys I met, both former ground crew, told me that nobody in the CF-101 community ever called it such things, it was simply the "Voodoo" or "One-Oh-One"

The CH-146 Sea King was said to be refered to, "Sea Thing" or "Sea Pig" by both air crew and ground crew from about the late 80s due to high maintenance requirements and reliability issues. I met more than a few Sea King crew members and they said nobody in the community used such terms on it.

On the other hand:

The Avro CF-100 was quite often refered to by crews as the "Clunk" owing to the loud noise the landing gear made when it retracted and locked into the wells.

The DeHavilland DHC-6 Twin Otter was, with some regularity refered to as the "Twotter" by crews

Outside of Canadian service aircraft; here's a couple of other observations I've made:

Tornado crews NEVER call their aircraft the "Tonka". To them, occaisionally they will call it "The Fin" other wise it's simply the Tornado.

F-15E crews don't use "Mudhen" for their aircraft

What's even more amusing is that previous wars, service persons, not as enthusiastic generally over such meticulous study of military hardware, tend to run things together, especially when discussing enemy equipment.

Just like for Joe Public every WarPac jet was a "MiG" and every Luftwaffe fighter a "Messerschmitt"...

Cheers,

Andre

:D, I know that the Japanese did actually call the Beaufighter 'Whispering Death' and that was because of its sleeve valve engines, much quieter than poppet valve types. Apparently they couldn't be heard until they were right on top of you, regardless which side you were fighting for. My Dad and his mates told me that many years ago and it was especially so at low altitudes. I started going to the Williamtown airshows towards the end of the Beau's service life when they were being used as target tugs and I seem to remember that Dad and his mates were right about that one. There used to be a man at the end of our street who had a Willys Knight car with a sleeve valve engine and I can remember seeing it often as I walked to school and I remember it being the quietest car on the road around these parts, certainly a lot quieter than Mum and Dad's FJ Holden which wasn't exactly the noisiest car on the road back then.

:),

Ross.

Edited by ross blackford
Fish,

You would also have to distinguish between official names and public/media names versus what's generally used by the troops. An example of the former is the AIM-7. The official name was "Sparrow," but I have never heard anybody use that; it was always "AIM-7." Same way with "Fighting Falcon" versus "Viper." ..................

Regards,

Murph

So the F-16 crews do use "Fighting Falcon" vice 'Viper'? I had heard that the Generals decided on Fighting Falcon while the people who flew them thought Viper sounded more cool and used that. But that could just be another example of what the OP is about.

Interesting thread!

-Mike

Then there's always: scan0109.jpg

M-706/706/pig/rubber duck

scan0102.jpg

M-113/113/track

scan0155.jpg

scan0114.jpg

USAF Security Police/Air Police/APES/cops/Skycops/pigs/them and several others that can't be printed

Edited by ikar
So the F-16 crews do use "Fighting Falcon" vice 'Viper'? I had heard that the Generals decided on Fighting Falcon while the people who flew them thought Viper sounded more cool and used that. But that could just be another example of what the OP is about.

Interesting thread!

-Mike

In my long experience working at an F-16 base I never hear the pilots call the F-16 anything but Viper. Ever.

Sorry, I was trying to point out, evidently not very clearly, that the official name of "Fighting Falcon" is never used by the individuals in the F-16 community; it's pretty much "Viper." Same as the "Sparrow" and AIM-7 example I mentioned. In fact, the pilots from other weapon systems will use "Fighting Falcon" just to annoy them.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph
Sorry, I was trying to point out, evidently not very clearly, that the official name of "Fighting Falcon" is never used by the individuals in the F-16 community; it's pretty much "Viper." Same as the "Sparrow" and AIM-7 example I mentioned. In fact, the pilots from other weapon systems will use "Fighting Falcon" just to annoy them.

Regards,

Murph

This makes me wonder where "Sparrow" ever came from.

I suppose this stuff happens outside military hardware, too. Cars and engines, at least among automobile enthusiasts, acquire these kinds of names. In railroad enthusiasm, there are designated names for different patterns of steam locomotives (i.e. "Mikado," and "Berkshire"), and then alphanumeric names for diesel locomotives, together with some generalized nicknames ("Jeeps" for four-axle "GP" locomotives," "F-units" for EMD's F-3/F-7/F-9s, "U-boats" For GE's old line of "U-" locomotives). Again, however, I don't know how many of these nicknames are products of real railroad employees or model railroaders!

I suppose this stuff happens outside military hardware, too. Cars and engines, at least among automobile enthusiasts, acquire these kinds of names. In railroad enthusiasm, there are designated names for different patterns of steam locomotives (i.e. "Mikado," and "Berkshire"), and then alphanumeric names for diesel locomotives, together with some generalized nicknames ("Jeeps" for four-axle "GP" locomotives," "F-units" for EMD's F-3/F-7/F-9s, "U-boats" For GE's old line of "U-" locomotives). Again, however, I don't know how many of these nicknames are products of real railroad employees or model railroaders!

The term "Sparrow" is what either the Sperry Corporation or Douglas Aircraft Company referred to it during the development process way back in the late 1940's (yes the missile is that old). The data is conflicting on who started with it first.

The AIM-9 was refered to as Sidewinder by one the engineers at Naval Ordnance Lab China Lake that was helping to develop it, primarly based on the fact the missile acted just like a Sidewinder snake seeking a heat source and it danced all over the sky.

My father regularly referred to some USN aircraft as:

"Deucey" or "Beast" for the SB2C/SBF/SBW Helldiver series (usually Deucey)

"Beechcraft" for any variant of the JRB/SNB/C-45 series

"AD" for the Skyraider, even after it was redesignated A-1 (Never heard him use Spad, probably because he flew them in the days before they were considered antiques. First AD flight in DEC 1947)

"Stoof" for the S2F Tracker, regardless of later redesignation

"Willie Fudd" or simply "Fudd" for the WF-2/E-1B

"Willie Victor" for the WV-2/EC-121

"COD" for any aircraft used for Carrier Onboard Delivery, be it a TBM-3R, TF-1/C-1A or C-2)

In my squadron, our planes were simply P-3s, regardless of model, with two exceptions. One was the "Iron Bomber," a P-3A that never received any avionics upgrades. Another of our planes received the name "Twisted Sister." The forward fuselage was out of kilter. Up in the cockpit, looking at the horizon, you would swear that you were in a gentle bank, but the gyros and compass indicated straight and level flight. An odd sensation for this tube dude, but the aviators quickly adapted.

Cordially,

Bruce

Edited by Bruce B

I never could figure out how they could officially name an air to air missile that. Five hundred lbs of missile with a 60 lb warhead, and they name it after a sparrow? What were the rejected alternatives that made that the best name for a missile designed to kill? The AIM-7 Fuzzy Bunny? The AIM-7 Cute Squirrel?

Regards,

Murph

I never could figure out how they could officially name an air to air missile that. Five hundred lbs of missile with a 60 lb warhead, and they name it after a sparrow? What were the rejected alternatives that made that the best name for a missile designed to kill? The AIM-7 Fuzzy Bunny? The AIM-7 Cute Squirrel?

Regards,

Murph

:thumbsup: I hadn't thought about that. At the very least, it does sound rather harmless. Like the AIM-7 "just-part-of-the-scenery." Interestingly, the Navy officially calls the RIM-7 (the AIM-7's shipboard cousin) the "Sea Sparrow." Which makes even less sense to me.

It's times like these when I imagine what went on: some underling in an office had to come up with some sort of "Press release" name. Something for the few reporters/journalists who followed military and aerospace markets, possibly Hollywood, and the model kit companies. But it was 2:00pm on Friday, and if he came up with something in the next several minutes, he could beat the rush-hour jam. Well, so he was looking out the window....

On that note, has AIM-120 ever had an 'official' name ?

AMRAAM and Slammer I've taken as a development designation and a nickname ...

Gregg

Gregg,

No, it was never named. "Slammer" is used but is less common than referring to by its number and the variant, like "120B" or "120C". The AIM-9 is the same way, it's a "9 Mike" or "9X".

Regards,

Murph

Let's see here....

HUMVEEs were also reffered to as "Hummers"

Never heard anyone call a humvee a "hummer", that was always what civilians always called them.

Infantry were typically just called "grunts", backpacks were called "rucks", sleeping bags were referred to as "fart sacks", M-113's and Bradleys were referred to as "tracks", Bradley's were also just called "brads". Kevlar helmets were "k-pots" and anyone besides armor and infantry fell into the despised category of "REMF", which stands for Rear Echelon Mo-Fo's (or something like that...). I understand that nowadays, REMFs are also known as "FOBitts".

Special ops guys were known as "snake eaters", air-assault troops were known as "dopes on ropes". The old M-60 machine gun was called "the pig", Night Vision Goggles were just called "NODS" or refereed to by their model number (ex - PVS-7's). Naval personnel were "Squids", Marines were "jar-heads". If you took the time to set up an elaborate shelter while in the field, it became a "hooch". Rain gear was simply called "gortex". Most helos were just called by their names (Huey, Apache, Chinook, etc.). In the early 80's when they were crashing all the time, Blackhawks became "Crashhawks". Most weapons and gear were just called by their model numbers (-16, -240D, -60, etc). The PRC-77 radio became the "prick 77" or just "the prick". Any extra gear you brought into the field to make yourself more comfortable (such as extra clothing, socks, etc) was called "snivel gear".

Lieutenants were simply called "ell-tee". MRE's were called many unprintable things (after a while, they actually got pretty good IMHO) and it joked that MRE really stood for Meals Rejected by Ethiopians.

Edited by 11bee
Gregg,

No, it was never named. "Slammer" is used but is less common than referring to by its number and the variant, like "120B" or "120C". The AIM-9 is the same way, it's a "9 Mike" or "9X".

Regards,

Murph

Ah, thanks Murph ...

Never heard anyone call a humvee a "hummer", that was always what civilians always called them.

Infantry were typically just called "grunts", backpacks were called "rucks", sleeping bags were referred to as "fart sacks", M-113's and Bradleys were referred to as "tracks", Bradley's were also just called "brads". Kevlar helmets were "k-pots" and anyone besides armor and infantry fell into the despised category of "REMF", which stands for Rear Echelon Mo-Fo's (or something like that...). I understand that nowadays, REMFs are also known as "FOBitts".

Special ops guys were known as "snake eaters", air-assault troops were known as "dopes on ropes". The old M-60 machine gun was called "the pig", Night Vision Goggles were just called "NODS" or refereed to by their model number (ex - PVS-7's). Naval personnel were "Squids", Marines were "jar-heads". If you took the time to set up an elaborate shelter while in the field, it became a "hooch". Rain gear was simply called "gortex". Most helos were just called by their names (Huey, Apache, Chinook, etc.). In the early 80's when they were crashing all the time, Blackhawks became "Crashhawks". Most weapons and gear were just called by their model numbers (-16, -240D, -60, etc). The PRC-77 radio became the "prick 77" or just "the prick".

Lieutenants were simply called "ell-tee". MRE's were called many unprintable things (after a while, they actually got pretty good IMHO) and it joked that MRE really stood for Meals Rejected by Ethiopians.

I guess Kojima-San does his homework ...

345673-mgs3box_large.jpg

Gregg

I've actually heard "Ronson" from several US WWII armor vets. The name came from the Ronson brand cigarette lighter tag line: "one strike and it lights", very similar to a Sherman when met by a Panzer. Not sure the Germans were familiar with that.

HTH

Spongebob

One name the Germans had for the Sherman was "Tommy cookers" I have this first hand from an ex Panzar Grenadier.

Julien

Regards,

Murph

Coolest name for a missile to me has to be the AGM-142 "Have Nap"

There has been worst names then sparrow for missiles/rockets etc. Heck there was even some with rank, one was even called Skipper.

AGM-62 Walleye :)

Edited by Wayne S