Tamiya F-51d Mustang in 1/48

Hello all,

Here is my recently finished Tamiya F-51 Mustang. This was my first try with a NMF (even if it was just silver paint on the original) and first time using a riveter. Because these kits are such a good deal from Hobby Lobby, I plan to build several of them in the future, so please feel free to offer any and all criticism or information that might be of service in future builds. Having said that, there are a couple of inaccuracies with this bird I'll state right off:

There is supposed to be a metal tube extending out a bit on the starboard side, a little behind the radiator cover. It's supposed to help prevent oil from smearing all over the side of the fuselage, but...I'm lazy and wanted to wrap this build up.

Also, this plane is supposed to have the ARC-3 radio instead of the SCR-22, but I only found a reference photo of this mustang halfway through the build. In the future I'll attempt to scratch build the correct radio, something that for some reason I haven't seen anyone do before--if anyone has a link to a model with the ARC-3, please let me know! I'm curious to see how it turned out.

I think everything else is fair game! Thanks for looking, and thanks especially to Christian for all his help with the radio information and in the cockpit. On to the terrible pics!

DSC_0357.jpg

DSC_0360.jpg

DSC_0361.jpg

DSC_0363.jpg

DSC_0364.jpg

DSC_0365.jpg

DSC_0367.jpg

DSC_0370.jpg

Looks good I couldn't find any mistakes.

The only thing that stood out to me was that you can see the edges of the windscreen transparency, one trick to kill that affect is to paint that edge of the glass black before it's glued in.

Great build.

Curt

DSC_0361.jpg

nice job! every thing looks great to my eye but you may want o set the canopy down on the sills. and one other point to note would be that you only have two lower cowling panels on the "D" not three (the joining of the wing to fuselage needs to be filled).

nice job! every thing looks great to my eye but you may want o set the canopy down on the sills. and one other point to note would be that you only have two lower cowling panels on the "D" not three (the joining of the wing to fuselage needs to be filled).

Thanks for the input! I was a little disappointed when I set the canopy down and it didn't sit on the ledges properly, but I'm not sure the best way to fix it other than permanently gluing it down. I'd prefer not to do that if I could avoid it, but am open to other suggestions. I wonder if my canopy brace is to blame by pulling the sides in slightly more than they should be.

As for the cowling panels, I'm not sure exactly what you mean but will look at some plans--is this an error with the kit, including an extra panel line that shouldn't be there?

Thanks for the input! I was a little disappointed when I set the canopy down and it didn't sit on the ledges properly, but I'm not sure the best way to fix it other than permanently gluing it down. I'd prefer not to do that if I could avoid it, but am open to other suggestions. I wonder if my canopy brace is to blame by pulling the sides in slightly more than they should be.

As for the cowling panels, I'm not sure exactly what you mean but will look at some plans--is this an error with the kit, including an extra panel line that shouldn't be there?

the extra panel line comes from not filling a join line seam, it is where the bottom wing meets the fuselage halves on the underside aft cowling, just forward of the main gear bays.

HTH. Greg.

The only thing that stood out to me was that you can see the edges of the windscreen transparency, one trick to kill that affect is to paint that edge of the glass black before it's glued in.

Great build.

Curt

Or easier still is to run a black marker around the edges of the clear parts. I find that easier to do than apint them.

Other than that very hard to pick up any issues with it.