Now, now! We musn't have any comparisons of colours of any particular bombers. Underneath their paint scheme, they're still beautiful Flying Fortresses like any other USAAF Flying Fort.

We need to get along in this day and age. The days of segregating these old B-17's based on paint scheme, or place of manufature, or small differences that make them one of a kind... we need to be able to fly together in the same formations whether one has a longer nose or not, whether one has a chin turret or not. Even if they've got... unstaggered... waist positions - they are all still Forts.

Maybe some day we will be able to fly together without this... segregation and bickering of "My 100th BG was tougher than your 91st" and "My Bomber can kick your bombers butt" or making fun of a Fort because she may have storm window frames... someday.

*sigh*

Mark.

So thats two models of Tondelayo in this GB right?...i'm thinking of doing sister B-17G 'Channel Fever Baby' from the same unit...between us and the RAF Fortress III's who knew black B-17's would be so popular...lol

Man! There goes one of two choices for my Y1B-17. One option I was looking at is natural metal uppers with black lower surfaces from camouflage tests. Actually I have other idea, but the half black camo was a consideration.

Anyway Darren, welcome aboard and its good to see another 1/72 bird.

Jeff

Ok so I've started cutting plastic on the fort with the Navigator's position, and the flight deck underway:

Picture001-21.jpg

Picture002-19.jpg

A question does anyone know if the floor of the fort was wood? Or metal?

Edited by darren

They used as much plywood as possible in construction, one for wieght reasons, and also for cost as well as using the best resources available to feed the war industry, not to use aluminum in a place that wasn't abosultly needed. In the refernce photos I've found for my F, the cockpit and bombadiers floors were wood, while the navigators floor was aluminum. Looking good so far!

Mark, your are the Andrew Dice Clay of the group build :bandhead2:

Edited by rightwinger26

Something doesn't look right with the bomb bay... The center bomb rack should reach from the bottom of the frame of the catwalk to the ceiling of the bomb bay...

Here's a quick link from Collings Foundation Bombers at Santa Barbara May 7 - 9, 2007 Static Display,, and a great shot showing top to bottom:

_BEL9920%20B-25J%20NL3748G%20Tondelayo%20interior%20bomb%20bay%20l.jpg

The rest is looking great though. As for the floors... what Rightwinger said. Google image searches show quite a large variety of what was painted, what was left exposed metal, what was covered with rubber mats, and what was wood. Some G's in the nose have both the navigators and portions of the bombardiers section (covered) in wood... others don't... so it all comes down to trying to find pictures of the bomber you're making, on in this case, one with similar block numbers. Then again, making it all wood up front, and painting your floor a green in the back wouldn't be too far off the mark I don't think. Mine for example, wooden underneath with metal frame sections, and painted the lovely bluish green up front and will either be covered by wooden mats at the back or be left as plywood under the upper turret... maybe. I'm not sure yet... I need to get a coffee and wake up...

Hope this helps a bit,

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by Kostucha

To be more clear on the cockpit... going through my notes (ya, I keep build notes on a zip drive)... From talking with Karl, and looking in as much as I can with it... my build right now is a bit on the wrong side... mind you, the "wooden floor" has yet to be actually glued in, and I got a bit carried away with the dark green... the way it'll be done when finished:

The portion of the floor with the large cut out (under the seats, extending aft, under the top turret, right up to the bulkhead) is wood. Whether covered with a rubber mat or not, what was below it was still wood.

The floor that the pilots feet could touch (that being, the raised portion) was metal. This would either be bare metal, or yeah, painted green.

Hope this answers your questions.

Cheers,

Mark.

Ok so the last of the fort for today.

And I've installed the waist gun ammo boxes and feeds, and the Cheyenne tail:

Picture011-16.jpg

Picture012-19.jpg

And a question are the ammo feeds OD? or as Revell says Brass?