Hi All

Well, since this Group Build starts tomorrow, and I'm a mod, I figured I'd get my in-progress thread up today. I don't normally do in-progress threads, but I'm going to try it on this one.

I'm going to be building Tamiya's excellent 1/48 F-16CJ as the Wing King jet from the 52nd Fighter Wing. I'll be doing the 2006 version off of the Afterburner Decals Wing King History sheet.

After the kit is built, I'm going to be auctioning it off on E-bay. The money raised from the auction will be donated to Matt's wife and kids.

The requisite pre-build shots:

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

List of sets used:

Tamiya Block 50 F-16CJ

Shull24 Combo #1 BRU-57 and GBU-38's

Shull24 Combo #2 Sniper ATP and left-hand HTS pod

Shull24 GE engine nozzle

ABD 48-056 USAF Smart Weapons stencils

ABD 48-055 USAF Missile and Pod stencils

ABD 48-024 52nd FW Wing King History

Royale Resin Block 50/52 wheels (may be doing this as an in-flight display, so these may not get used)

And of course, the "Scriptures" of F-16 building...the Modern Viper Guide by Jake Melampy and the Scale Viper: A Modeller's Guide to Building the F-16 by Pig Fleischmann.

I have to send a big Thank You to Shawn Hull, Scott Brown and Doug Smith for helping out with this project. All of the sets used in this build were donated by them in order to help me out with this build. It would not be possible without the help of these great men. Thank you guys for your help. It is very much appreciated. Mike Reeves has also volunteered to help out with a base for this project, he too deserves a big pat on the back.

Well, since work can not officially begin on this build till 12:01am tomorrow, I'm going to go ahead and sign off for now.

Aaron

Edited by strikeeagle801

Some progress from last night. I got the cockpit parts painted Dark Gull Gray. As you can see, I decided to make this a double build. I'll be using one kind of as a "guinea pig" for the other. I'm scared to jump right into an in-flight display, which is the reason for the other build. If it goes well with that one, I'll try it with the other. If not, then Matt's build will be wheels-down.

IMG_0526.jpg

Aaron

Edited by strikeeagle801

Aaron, I'm building my Block 30 with the wheels down but I have the main gear bay doors in place right now while Im in the painting and decaling stage, and they fit absolutely perfectly. Same goes for the canopy.

BTW, I managed to buy a block 25/32 kit here locally, if you need that Litening pod back, let me know.

Charlie

I've got one or two more lying around here, so don't worry about the pod. Either keep it for another project, or pass it on to someone else who needs it. As far as the doors are concerned, that is the main reason why I'm looking into an in-flight display. One of the things I absolutely dread about the Tamiya kit is the gawd-aweful ejector pin marks in the doors, gear and bays. By doing the model wheels-up, you eliminate the need for taking care of all of them...and the fact that Tamiya did such a good job at getting the dimensions right on the Viper only helps you to do that.

Aaron

Looking good so far bud, If you want to do an in-flight bird, have you thought of your method on displaying it rod,plaque etc?

Thank's Wayne. I've got square brass rod I'm going to be using for the in-flight display. I'm thinking that I'm going to have it in a climbing turn, that way it will hide the rod some when looking at it. As for the base, I have to talk to Mike about that still. I'm thinking about doing a plaque with the squadron/wing badge on it with a little name plate saying what type of plane it is, what squadron it is from, etc as well as a tribute of some sort to Matt. Mine's just going to be on a piece of stained wood with the squadron badge and a printed name plate on it.

Aaron

Thank's Wayne. I've got square brass rod I'm going to be using for the in-flight display. I'm thinking that I'm going to have it in a climbing turn, that way it will hide the rod some when looking at it. As for the base, I have to talk to Mike about that still. I'm thinking about doing a plaque with the squadron/wing badge on it with a little name plate saying what type of plane it is, what squadron it is from, etc as well as a tribute of some sort to Matt. Mine's just going to be on a piece of stained wood with the squadron badge and a printed name plate on it.

Aaron

Sounds like a plan bud :monkeydance:

I like the idea of square tubing.

• 2 weeks later...

No pics to this update. After being sick all week, I finally sat back down to the bench last night and sprayed Model Master chrome silver enamel in the intakes and let them sit for 24 hours, before trying the pour and dump method one last time. I was hoping that the chrome would help the latex cover/grip a little better, but much to my surpise, it did not. So, both intakes are sitting in some Bleach White at the moment, and I'll be cleaning them out again tomorrow. I'm about ready to give up on doing an in-flight display because of this. For whatever reason, this "simple" method is not working for me.

I'm under a lot of self-imposed pressure to make this project look good, and I feel like if I can't get the intake right, then the whole project is going to go down the drain. I'm really at a loss of what to do here. A part of me is considering giving up the entire thing, and passing the kit, decals, etc on to someone who can actually do a good job of it.

Aaron

EDIT:

I kind of had an epifiny last night/this morning on this project. Matt himself stated many times that he was a three-foot modeller through and through, and cosidering that I am a mod of this GB, and the rules state that three-foot modelling is highly encouraged, I've decided to just do the best I can on the intake and move on. Even though I want to sell this model at the end of the GB and get a good price out of it, I'm going to state that it is NOT a pro-built model, and since no one is really going to look down the intake with a flashlight anyways, it does not have to be perfect. So, I'm going to continue on with the intakes tonight, get them done the best I can, and move on.

Edited by strikeeagle801
EDIT:

I kind of had an epifiny last night/this morning on this project. Matt himself stated many times that he was a three-foot modeller through and through, and cosidering that I am a mod of this GB, and the rules state that three-foot modelling is highly encouraged, I've decided to just do the best I can on the intake and move on. Even though I want to sell this model at the end of the GB and get a good price out of it, I'm going to state that it is NOT a pro-built model, and since no one is really going to look down the intake with a flashlight anyways, it does not have to be perfect. So, I'm going to continue on with the intakes tonight, get them done the best I can, and move on.

That is the spirit bud :wave:

Nice start, need more pics!

The intake is a bother, I haven't done a F-16 before, so I am not dealing with it on this build. I am making a cover, which doesn't going to help you at all if you are doing an in flight build, sorry. :banana:

mason

• 1 month later...