Anigrand 1:72 Firefox

Anigrand has posted a parts shot of their new MiG-31 Firefox kit. From initial impressions, I'm worried about the shape of the nose and the exhaust surrounds. I'll hold off on buying one until I see it from different angles, and especially if it's built or dry-fitted.

I'm forgiving with regard to Anigrand's track record, but if they don't get certain details right on this model, I might pass on it.

I don't know one way or another if it's narrow in planform, but it certainly looks foreshortened compared with the miniatures used in the film. On the other hand, it may be more of a match for the full-scale mock-up, which diverges from the miniatures in a number of details. It's annoying, though it could be worse. The Imperial Shuttle from Return of the Jedi is a far worse offender on that topic.

I did up the 1/48 Studio 2 one a few years back. (heres the link: http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Fea1..._Holmes/00.shtm )

I always thought there was a slight "flare" from the top view looking down on the nose. The kit I did had the basic shape right, as far as I could tell. This kit you guys talk about here looks pretty good, IMHO.

The kit I did had the basic shape right, as far as I could tell.

It's not, unfortunately. There are some significant shape and proportion issues with the Studio 2 and Planet X kits. For example, the 1:48 kit's engine nacelles are too boxy, with the intakes poorly shaped compared with the aircraft in the film. I also suspect that the nose and windscreen are too narrow in planform.

The nose shape does appear to be off, but I think I'll pick one up if i can find it for a reasonable price.

BTW, I have found the best reference for the Firefox is Cinefex # 10, a special-effects oriented magazine. It has tons of excellent pics of both the miniatues and full-size mock-ups. it can be found insome comics stores, sci-fi conventions and occasionally on ebay.

• 4 months later...

Time to dredge up this topic. I caved and bought the kit, which arrived less than a week ago. Since I found time today to take photos:

Compared with 1:72 HMMWV and F-15C

Rear end

Looking down on the (tiny) cockpit

Lower fuselage half, showing cockpit floor and nose wheel well opening

Lower rear fuselage, showing main wheel wells

The critical nose comparison

Overall I have mixed feelings about it. I'm certain people will be happy with it, but I'm going to go further to correct some of the errors, in particular the spine shape, upper nacelles, and exhausts.

Also, does anyone know where I can find some white metal F-4 Phantom landing gear legs in 1:72?

What's the bet that the studio miniatures and the full-sized mock-up differed from each other? This'd make it pointless to argue over the accuracy of the Anigrad kit.

Is there another model of the FIREFOX out?

George, out.............

What's the bet that the studio miniatures and the full-sized mock-up differed from each other? This'd make it pointless to argue over the accuracy of the Anigrad kit.

If you'll note, it was pointed out in this post. That said, you can argue over its accuracy, sure. If you intend it to look like the plane from the movie, then the different models and mock-ups provide constraints on how you present your details. The Studio 2 and Planet X kits do not fit.

Is there another model of the FIREFOX out?

None at present, apart from what's been mentioned. William Babington (Migmaker) is planning to release a 1:72 kit based on extensive research of the movie and movie production materials.