Skunkmodels HH-60J and H are in stock at Luckymodel

I'll wait on a good review before I get one. The built-up models on the pages look pretty poor and are missing finer details.

I still plan on going the Italeri SH-60B/Cobra Company conversion set/ Fireball Modelworks decals route to get an accurate HH-60J.

I'll wait on a good review before I get one. The built-up models on the pages look pretty poor and are missing finer details.

I still plan on going the Italeri SH-60B/Cobra Company conversion set/ Fireball Modelworks decals route to get an accurate HH-60J.

+2

I'm curious, but not ready to spend the money.

mason

It doesn't appear that they captured the folding type rotor head that's common to these variants. I also noticed that the left side windows are undersized and the frames are installed upside down and the front frame is on the rear and vice versa for the front. It remains to be seen if all of the rear cabin details are provided too. They look a little soft all the way around but a good modeler spending adequate time can probably build a reasonable looking model out of it.

Chris M

It doesn't appear that they captured the folding type rotor head that's common to these variants. I also noticed that the left side windows are undersized and the frames are installed upside down and the front frame is on the rear and vice versa for the front. It remains to be seen if all of the rear cabin details are provided too. They look a little soft all the way around but a good modeler spending adequate time can probably build a reasonable looking model out of it.

Chris M

Considering that you made the conversion set I will be using to make a HH-60H you would know! Thanks for weighing in, do you think they are using the Italiera molds? It sure looks like it to me. Everett

It's difficult to tell without holding one for comparison. They may have purchased kits from Italeri and added their own short run new tooled sprues for parts that are specific to the models. Right out front I can see that most of the engraving is a match and the way the windshield goes together is a match. But the pilot doors/windows are different. It's just my opinion but I think it's an Italeri kit with new sprues added.

Chris M

It's difficult to tell without holding one for comparison. They may have purchased kits from Italeri and added their own short run new tooled sprues for parts that are specific to the models. Right out front I can see that most of the engraving is a match and the way the windshield goes together is a match. But the pilot doors/windows are different. It's just my opinion but I think it's an Italeri kit with new sprues added.

Chris M

I think so too. But anyway would be good!

I received both kits yesterday, the majority of the plastic in the box is from the Italeri HH-60H kit.There are a couple of extra sprues for the updated parts and an (Eduard?) colour etched set with seatbelts,instrument panels etc.

The HH-60H has two extra sprues with parts for the FLIR turret/pylon and parts for the extended portside pylon.The additional pylon for the AGM-119 Penguin is also included but there is no missile for it.Thats not a great loss as the HH-60H doesn't carry it.The other sprue has the remainder of the extended pylon parts and two drop tanks and new cockpit doors.This sprue is moulded in clear plastic.

IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

The decal sheet is designed by Crossdelta and printed by Cartograph there are two options included

HS-14, CVW-5 ,USS George Washington 2009

HS-3,CVW-8 USS Theodore Roosevelt 2009

IMG_0344-1.jpg

Also included is a printed card facsimile of a helicopter landing deck as might be found on a frigate/destroyer/cruiser which is quite a nice touch.

IMG_0343.jpg

The HH-60J kit is as described above except that the FLIR turret/pylon is not included instead there is a sprue which contains parts for the radome and a part which replaces the top of the fuselage where the IR jammer would be located on an HH-60H(I don't know what that would be called).The etched set is also included and contains parts to build a rescue basket.

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

The decal sheet gives options for four aircraft based at the following locations

Clearwater FL

San Diego

Kodiak AK

IMG_0338.jpg

There is also a card base with a helicopter landing pad marked on it.

IMG_0337.jpg

I'll make no comment on the accuracy as it looks like an HH-60H/J to me and there are better qualified people than me to pass judgement on it.What I will say is that this is a nice upgrade to the Italeri kit especially as the alternative is to use the relevant Cobra Co detail sets (which are not available to me in the UK)

Stephen

Edited by Stephen

Luckymodel are fine,just be aware when you order anything that if the item shows as "available" with a blue circle it does not mean that it is in stock.Items that are in stock show as "In stock" with a green circle beside it.There has been some confusion over these terms before.

Stephen

Agree with what's been said about Luckymodel! I've never had a problem. Only problem right now apparently is Hong Cong post, that have had somewhat of a backlog, but it is still fairly quick as opposed to other areas... HAs an aside, had a package take EIGHT weeks from Alabama to Ontario, Canada...

Anyways, back to the HH-60J. Does the box contain the "D" sprue as well? the one with the guns on it?

I need a spare set of the extra bumps for mu SH-60F so I need those two bumps...

Cheers

H.

Stephen,

I saw on LuckyModel site that the 60J had markings for the 3 you mentioned but also for Elizabeth City ... but I don't see them on the decal sheet. Is there an insert with the 'Elizabeth City' name somewhere in the kit?

regards,

Gary F

• 2 weeks later...

I have one coming from Lucky Models, hoping it will show up in the next couple of days since i ordered it way back on the 7th of March. Appreciate the pics posted. I already have the HH-60H conversion intended for the SH-60B kit from Italeri. Which I will leave it as a Bravo, and just use the set on the Skunkworks kit. I'm hoping to build it as an early version, when we flew

them in the 1st Gulf War in 1991, with HCS-5, have the 72nd kits, but I really want to do a major project, (the 2 year kind project) in 48th. Wish we had FLIR pod back then, but that det showed the need for it and was a mod that would be implemented on all the aircraft in the squadron. Hate that feeling when that dune wasnt there yesterday comment is made.

Chuck

Fly Navy

-Got mine (HH-60H) from Lucky' on Wednesday. First time I've used them - exelant BTW !

I have used the "extra" bits (FLIR and extended pylons) to upgrade my Revell SH-60B to this

Main20Logo.jpg

These 'bits' are in my opinion in equal to the AM, I would need to do this upgrade any way -and I seem to have a quite usefull Oceanhawk ? out of the remainder..... so for me its a Win-win !--And there is a spare fuel tank for my SH-70B !