Shipping problems from Starfighter Decals

Posted to my web site this morning:

"Due to the rash of orders being placed with incorrect postage rates, if I see this is a repeat offence, your order will be cancelled, money refunded and an e-mail sent explaining the reason why your order was rejected. Orders will not be shipped until the correct postage rate is applied."

If this practice continues I will be forced to drop the flat rate shipping for decals in the USA.

I just find it unbeliveable that as a fellow modeler who hates paying $7 or more for a sheet of decals and $12 for a resin set delivered via Banana Boat (USPS Parcel Post), finds it that his fellow modelers are unwilling to pay my very reasonable rates for postage. Come on, guys, would you rater pay the $12 others charge or the $3 I charge? Mindblowing.

Never ordered any Starfighter decals but considering others like TwoBobs, Afterburners (which don't charge any shipping within the US) and Fightertown that charges mostly around $2, perhaps folks have gotten accustomed to really low shipping rates for decals. Got to say though that $3 isn't a lot but, again, considering some other manufacturers....

Just my opinion here, of course.

Rob

Edited by TOPGUN

I don't understand what you're trying to convey.

If YOUR cart isn't correctly charging the appropriate mode and collecting the right amount, why is it the customers fault if that is what you are trying to say?

Sounds to me you need to spend some time debugging your cart until it is functioning properly to your satisfaction...if it doesn't have the capacity to do what you want it to do...then find an alternative. If the cart is charging the wrong rate for the mode selected, then it is a problem with your cart and its interface with the USPS. USPS has recently done some updates to their system which required cart vendors to add patches to facilitate proper functionality. BTDT.

If customers are selecting a mode which is more expensive than what the cart is collecting...you again need to debug the cart.

Many of my customers will elect to pick Priority Mail over First Class because it in some cases is faster and more reliable.

When you check out the cart gives you have the option of choosing between decal only orders (lower shipping rate), and orders including kits and parts. I'm guessing he is getting people who order kits and parts, who select the lower decal only rate.

It is a fairly obvious option when you check out.

When you check out the cart gives you have the option of choosing between decal only orders (lower shipping rate), and orders including kits and parts. I'm guessing he is getting people who order kits and parts, who select the lower decal only rate.

It is a fairly obvious option when you check out.

Well then that is a problem with his cart and the way he has it setup not the customers. Don't know much about Yahoo's cart...but it might not be the right fit for his business. I know we have investigated several options for my business and those for our clients who also have a retail presence on the web. Sometimes a cheap solution works, sometimes one has to invest more to get a properly functional one. The more you want them to do, the more it costs.

Well then that is a problem with his cart and the way he has it setup not the customers.

I would have to disagree. Like Aaron said, it's an obvious option, and good for Starfighter to offer it. The customers need to simply read and press the right button.

You don't give such options unless you want issues like this. Let them select between rate classes such as first class or priority and be charged accordingly, asking a customer to pick the right rate for the item is just asking for frustrations. Do you know of any other vendor who does this?

You know when someone orders a model kit and there is a choice between a $3 shipping fee and a $12 one they're going to take the cheaper of the two even if it doesn't cover the vendors shipping costs. Asking consumers to put the round peg in the square hole isn't asking much...its asking everything!

A vendor should know what the weight is of every item they stock (packed and ready to go) and how much it costs to ship that item whether it be a decal sheet or a model kit. Again you charge by weight (including oversize fees if applicable), distance and selected mode (Charge accordingly for each option). So if a guy orders a decal sheet you know that it cost on average $3 or less to mail anywhere CONUS. If someone else purchases a resin set that requires a box not a flat envelop the vendor knows how much the item weighs in said shipping container and the cart charges accordingly. If they want faster service, then the cart provides the option for expedited means and charges accordingly whether it is a decal sheet or a kit. The information is already known, entered in the system and waiting for a customer to make their product and selections as to how fast they want to receive it.

Sorry boys and girls, I and others in this business agree that this is a self inflicted wound. We've had to deal with these same decisions when we setup our own shopping carts. Hopefully we learned from our mistakes.

Edited by Hawkeye's Hobbies
You don't give such options unless you want issues like this. Let them select between rate classes such as first class or priority and be charged accordingly, asking a customer to pick the right rate for the item is just asking for frustrations. Do you know of any other vendor who does this?

:huh:

I've worked in e-commerce for the last 7 years and seen a lot of goofy cart settings......that is just inviting trouble.

Let's see here... DECALS ONLY or RESIN/KITS & DECALS. Yeah, I can see how there would be confusion. B)

I guess I expect too much.

Now THAT'S funny! Good one!

Seriously, there are valid points by everyone. I looked at the checkout process and can see that someone who was in a hurry or had been sipping too much coffee might not notice all the choices in the pull-down menu for shipping. With 'decals only' being at the top, first choice, I can see it happening. But it doesn't look like something someone would do intentionally.