So with the books I have and several others have it's interesting to see all the differences in paint and other nuances of the 17.

Post up some profiles or links to profiles to share some of the ones you like. I'd love to see these built. It's a shame there isn't a good cheap 1/72 17 out there.

Profiles

This guy has some awesome profiles of a ton of planes but his 17 profiles are sweet. And there's a ton of them.

Here's some scanned from my books. Not all the scans are very good cause of the bindings but you get the idea.

Nice color!

B17s008.jpg

Terrible to see it in German hands but looks freaking sweet painted like this.

B17s008_1.jpg

Jap

B17s007.jpg

Who's brave enough to do this one?

B17s005.jpg

Jap 2 - They weren't very creative.

B17s004.jpg

German capture. Would be cool to do two of these one before and after the capture.

B17s002.jpg

That website is great - but - be careful... some profiles are completely wrong. As always, actual photo's or accounts should at least suppliment the profile illustrations.

That's for the link though - and I'll say this much... no way it h*ll am I brave enough to try that B-17E... good golly Miss Molly

That website is great - but - be careful... some profiles are completely wrong. As always, actual photo's or accounts should at least suppliment the profile illustrations.

That's for the link though - and I'll say this much... no way it h*ll am I brave enough to try that B-17E... good golly Miss Molly

That may be but they're still cool.

It gets harder and harder to find actual photos of these things anymore.

With reading my grandfather's accounts of things and his statement that their ship they flew on the Memmingen mission was the most shot up ship to return to the group I am astounded there's not photos of it. It had to be just bludgeoned.

Come on you can do stripes!

This is probably going to be my next offering.

BirmBlitz1.jpg

BirmBlitz2.jpg

I was going to do this one but I haven't been able to get hold of the person who was going to make me the poke-a-dot masks

SpotCow1.jpg

You could get a drawing stencil to do the polka dot mask. Would take a bit.

What program are those from?

To do the "Spotted Cow" I would have to cut out over 400 poke-a-dots by hand. :D

The colorized photos were found on a website (I think its a gaming site or something) but I also have original black and white photos of each.

To do the "Spotted Cow" I would have to cut out over 400 poke-a-dots by hand. :D

The colorized photos were found on a website (I think its a gaming site or something) but I also have original black and white photos of each.

Not so, just would take one stencil and a lot of tape and time. Just keep moving the stencil to where you wanted the next dot and go from there. Would constantly be re-taping areas though.

Not so, just would take one stencil and a lot of tape and time. Just keep moving the stencil to where you wanted the next dot and go from there. Would constantly be re-taping areas though.

I used that method years ago when I build a 1/48 scale replica of the B-24 "Big *** Ape"

There's 3 or 4 period pics of the Spotted Cow online,aswell as Nigel Julian's 1/72 Academy build just search Google images with B-17F Spotted Cow

Yes there are. I followed Nigel's build very closely. The gentleman that did the masks for his burd was going to do a set for me also.

To do the "Spotted Cow" I would have to cut out over 400 poke-a-dots by hand. B)

You could try a piece of brass or aluminum tube to stamp out either masking tape for stencil or decal material of appropriate size. I have used this method for larger circles in a variety of materials where I did not have a punch to match. I just took a file and sharpened the end of the tube to cut the material. I have a light hammer to provide energy. Don't forget some eye protection.

Jeff

good golly miss molly... and I thought framing the interior would have been tedious.

One question though - these look like formation aircraft - and if so, would they have been armed?

Mark.

Mark,

The formation aircraft stayed over England and normally were stripped of unnecessary equipment and had minimal crew. I understand most were high-combat hour aircraft, that could still fly but weren't up to the stress of combat missions. One of the few things I know about the B-17 compared to the rest of this group! I really shouldn't be so surprised about the knowledge here, it is just not my area of greatest interest. I am getting a fast education, thanks all.

Jeff

Mark,

The formation aircraft stayed over England and normally were stripped of unnecessary equipment and had minimal crew. I understand most were high-combat hour aircraft, that could still fly but weren't up to the stress of combat missions. One of the few things I know about the B-17 compared to the rest of this group! I really shouldn't be so surprised about the knowledge here, it is just not my area of greatest interest. I am getting a fast education, thanks all.

Jeff

For the most part thats true, there are acouple of cases during the pre D-Day maximum effort raids on the French coast were 2nd AD B-24 assembly ships were bombed up and went all the way to the target with their Groups.

Apparently they were just fitted with waist MG's or no guns!

I doubt this would have happened with the B-17's....not that many of their Bomb Group's had Formation Assembly Ship's