I am about ready to start me next build. I have collected a ton of aftermarket over the last two or three years and I will be using a bunch for this build. I am still thinking about doing a Wolfpack flap set on this one, but it will have to wait for the time being. I want to have it done in time for Nationals in Omaha!

Using:

Hasegawa RF-4B 1/48th

Cobra Company J-79 cans

True Details resin cockpit (mostly for the sidewalls)

Eduard photo etch

G-factor landing gear

Eduard Wheels and Ejection Seats

Microscale 155th decals

IMG_7840.jpg

IMG_7841.jpg

Anyone have any idea how much stenciling were on these SEA aircraft? I have no good refs.

Thanks

T

If you can be more specific, I might be able to help. Are you modeling the RF-4C with the blue and yellow stripe down the side of the fuselage? If that's not it, give me a tail number and time frame and I'll see what I've got in my collection.

Scott W.

If you can be more specific, I might be able to help. Are you modeling the RF-4C with the blue and yellow stripe down the side of the fuselage? If that's not it, give me a tail number and time frame and I'll see what I've got in my collection.

Scott W.

I had not decided between 64-0050 and 65-0828. I kind of like 828 myself, even though I did it in 1/72nd.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Anyone have any idea how much stenciling were on these SEA aircraft? I have no good refs.

Thanks T

Like most other things concerning aircraft markings, the stenciling varied from one airframe to the next. Some were just completely covered in stencils, while others had practically none. If you can find pictures of the specific plane you are modeling, then you are good to go, at least for the time frame of the photo. Lacking photos, a judge at a contest would be hard pressed to say you are wrong, either way.

I had not decided between 64-0050 and 65-0828. I kind of like 828 myself, even though I did it in 1/72nd.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Maybe you just don't know... F-4s were repainted fairly regularly, perhaps every five or six years. During the years that they were in the SEA scheme the stenciling and markings changed a few times, not to mention the insignia going from bright to subdued and the tail numbers and codes going from white to black, as well as the camouflage going from white belly to wraparound. I think it was toward the mid 1970s they started putting a lot of info by each panel number to tell what was inside each panel. For a very short time, I believe around 1976 to 78, that info was painted in white on the green areas and black on the tan. Since not every airplane was repainted during that time only a few got that treatment. By 1978 or 79 whoever directed that the black and white stencils be applied must have retired and saner heads took over, and they began just putting the panel numbers on with no info about what was inside, along with a few caution and warning stencils. There was no real reason to waste all that time and money putting all that effort into stenciling so much info by the panel numbers. If you didn't know what was inside the panel, you had no business opening it. Tech orders told you which panel you needed to remove to do a particular repair anyway.

So if I scan the couple of slides I have of the tail numbers you mentioned, they may or may not be relevant to the model you are planning. I need you to spend the time to write more info about the markings you are planning to use, so I can see if what I have is pertinent. If you want me to take the time to scan and post my photos, you need to take the time to give me a good detailed description of what markings you are using so I can tell if my photos are what you need. If my photo is from ten years prior to the markings you are using, it won't be pertinent, trust me.

Scott Wilson

Edited by Scott R Wilson

Thanks for the help. I think that the jets in question are from the 81-82 timeframe right when they moved from the white belly to the wrap around. I have done some research of my own and I think these guys had minimal stenciling, but it was not totally clear to me. The Superscale sheet comes with a bunch of stencils and I was just wondering if I needed them all. Here is the 1/72nd sheet instructions but the jets are the exact same on the 1/48th sheet. Thinking about doing the wrap around. I kind of like the "Lincoln" on the tail.

Superscale_SS72-369_02.jpg

Thanks for the help. I think that the jets in question are from the 81-82 timeframe right when they moved from the white belly to the wrap around. I have done some research of my own and I think these guys had minimal stenciling, but it was not totally clear to me. The Superscale sheet comes with a bunch of stencils and I was just wondering if I needed them all. Here is the 1/72nd sheet instructions but the jets are the exact same on the 1/48th sheet. Thinking about doing the wrap around. I kind of like the "Lincoln" on the tail.

Superscale_SS72-369_02.jpg

Sorry I was kind of crabby when I replied to you this morning. I wrote that just after getting up at 4:15 AM and my coffee hadn't kicked in yet... Anyway, you're in luck. I have a slide of 64-1050 (not 64-0050 by the way, you're right not to completely trust Superscale) taken by Brian C Rogers on January 25, 1983. It has the markings you have on your decal instructions. I also have a shot of 65-0828, but it was taken in 1980 and doesn't have the same markings you have, but I scanned it for you anyway. I may have other tail numbers in those markings though, but I don't have time to go through my collection and check right now.

Here's what I scanned (both slides are a bit underexposed, this is the best my scanner will do):

64-1050January251983BrianCRogers.jpg

65-0828Dec1980.jpg

Big Thanks Scott! :) I am ready to build! Thanks Again! Which one do you guys like? I can't make a decision.

My vote is for you to build 64-1050 for two reasons:

1. If there are two NEANG Phantoms being built here, two different airframes and designs would be nice to see since I'm doing 65-0828.

2. I couldn't handle it if you did 828 because yours would turn out so much better than mine, leading me to feel woefully inadequate and insecure in my modeling skills and abilities. B)

Justin

Whatever Justin, yours will be awesome. 64-1050 it is. Have you checked out the walkway situation on these guys? Black outline? Is that what we have going on?

My vote is for you to build 64-1050 for two reasons:

1. If there are two NEANG Phantoms being built here, two different airframes and designs would be nice to see since I'm doing 65-0828.

2. I couldn't handle it if you did 828 because yours would turn out so much better than mine, leading me to feel woefully inadequate and insecure in my modeling skills and abilities. :crying2:

Justin

Whatever Justin, yours will be awesome. 64-1050 it is. Have you checked out the walkway situation on these guys? Black outline? Is that what we have going on?

I don't have any clear pictures that show NEANG jets with walkways. I see some SEA Camo Phantoms had them, some didn't. I'm checking with my uncle who was a maintenance guy in the Nebraska Air Guard back in the late 70's to see if he has any pictures or if he can remember. I'll let you know.

Justin

Your using a RF-4B model to model a RF-4C model. IMMSMR your going to have an inaccurate kit. I think the wings are incorrect for the C variant. REMEMBER the B's were built for the USMC, so they were made for the carrier environment. The C models were made for the Air Force so that is not the case.

there are issues with the B no doubt. Most are fixable. the reinforcement plates on the wings will be sanded off and it needs new rear stabs, but finding a C kit out there is damn near impossible and most of them cost an arm and a leg. As you can see i have already spent that on aftermarket. I will have to do my best but I am taking suggestions on modifications!

I think that B kit will not have too many problems.

If I remember correctly you can only model one of the last 6 B's built with that kit, it has the wing with larger wheel wells and a different nose shape than the rest. I dont have my refs to hand as I am at work.

Julien

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is an update. Having fun with this one. I really enjoyed doing the metal work. Sorry that the pic is not very good. I have started working on the camo and I am really taking my time. I decided that the medium needle on my Badger 155 was just not giving me the control I need for the demarcation between camo colors. This being the case I ordered a fine needle. I will be using that one to make those demarcation lines finer and then fade the panels a bit to add some depth. But here is what I have so far:

IMG_8193.jpg

IMG_8195-1.jpg

IMG_8198.jpg

Excellent work! The exhaust area looks great and seeing some color on there really makes it look the part. Can't wait to see the finished product. I think you're about a week ahead of me with your progress. Keep it up!

Justin

Excellent work! The exhaust area looks great and seeing some color on there really makes it look the part. Can't wait to see the finished product. I think you're about a week ahead of me with your progress. Keep it up!

Justin

Well I am hoping to lay down more camo soon. I hope to make more progress. Look forward to seeing your Phantom too!