Brass parts vs. Thinner

I have a Badger 350 airbrush and there is some dry paint that is stuck inside some of the brass parts. I was wondering if I was to soak those parts in thinner for an hour or two to soften up the paint would it mess up the brass parts?

(The thinner is Testors enamel thinner)

Edited by jetmodeler

No, it won't affect the brass. That's why they use brass—it resists corrosion from most corrosive agents except acids.

The thinner may affect rubber (including synthetic) gaskets, packing, and seals. It is best to disassemble and soak only those parts that need it.

I have a Badger 350 airbrush and there is some dry paint that is stuck inside some of the brass parts. I was wondering if I was to soak those parts in thinner for an hour or two to soften up the paint would it mess up the brass parts?

(The thinner is Testors enamel thinner)

Enamel thinner should be fine.

Watch out for acrylic thinner which may have ammonia in it. Ammonia etches brass

Watch out for acrylic thinner which may have ammonia in it. Ammonia etches brass

True, strong bases will also attack brass. However, unless you are using straight ammonia, there is little danger of damage unless you leave it for days. Of greater concern is that ammonia will also attack many natural and synthetic rubbers, so again, taking the airbrush apart and soaking only the affected parts is a good idea.

Also, an acrylic thinner will not touch the enamel.

• 2 weeks later...

Remove the teflon and rubber rings. You can even use lacquer thinner, and "your brass will be safe." That is, unless you soak it for days. Lacquer thinner will get rid of just about anything, including acrylics.