Japan Ground Self Defense Force TYPE 90 MBT

Japanese Type 90 is the third generation MBT entering service in 1990. 120mm smoothbore gun, YAG laser range finder, passive infrared. Like soviet tanks this MBT has an autoloader for the cannon and so has a crew of 3 instead of the usual 4. The tank also has a 7.62mm coaxial MG and a 12.7 mm MG on the turret roof.

The long turret is due to that area being used for ammo stowage and the autp load mechinism. The MBT is powered with a V-10 by Mitsubushi producing 1,500 hp and giving the 50 t tank a speed of 70 km/h.

a few pics of the box contents

Vinyl tracks but still very nicely detailed

apr17_15.jpg

Hull is very nicely textured with anti-slip

apr17_14.jpg

some of this area will be improved with the PE parts

apr17_13.jpg

apr17_10.jpg

drive sprocket details

apr17_12.jpg

Main parts

apr17_06.jpg

One piece hull

apr17_08.jpg

extra pieces for the ammo loading which includes interior detail of the tank turret

apr17_07.jpg

Eduard PE detail set

apr17_16.jpg

some pics of the usual start of the build

apr21_12.jpg

Dry fit of upper hull

apr21_08.jpg

details very well done by Tamiya

apr21_11.jpg

Starting to fit PE details

apr21_10.jpg

apr21_09.jpg

Work on the hull

november21a_02.jpg

Note the pioneer tools on this shot - I was about to super detail them - but they are actually covered by a hatch.

november21a_03.jpg

some of the super detailed parts using the Eduard set

november21a_05.jpg

november21a_06.jpg

work on the turret

november21a_08.jpg

november21a_09.jpg

the etch parts for the sighting optics cover is a nice addition as are the covers to the WP launchers

that open section is the auto loading compartment for the gun rounds. That will be quite fun to paint

november21a_11.jpg

Basic construction complete and dry fits

november21a_14.jpg

november21a_17.jpg

november21a_19.jpg

This stuff is very handy for masking the optics

november21a_20.jpg

This after the final PE went on, I pre-shaded the running gear with NATO black to spray into all the shadow areas.

Then a case of painting the 2 tone camo using Tamiyas custom paints - JGSDF Green and Brown. Both paints were sprayed straight onto the plastic primer is not required. I then sprayed the same colours lightened with Tamiya Sky to create tones and shading in the panels. Finally post shade with highly thinned NATO black. A coat of acrylic sealer, decals and seal the decals.

So this is the result of the initial paint steps :-

11March206_21.jpg

11March206_22.jpg

11March206_8.jpg

11March206_9.jpg

11March206_20.jpg

Markings are Hokkaido 7th Div. 73rd Tank Rgt. 1st Co.

11March206_17.jpg

11March206_16.jpg

I spent more time painting the ammunition than the camo of the tank if i include the amount of time masking -

some very rough extra detailing added to the auto-loader, a lot of which cant be seen.

11March206_12.jpg

Ammo details - a lot of prep work required polishing the plastic, base coat with gloss black for a mirror like finish when using the ALCLAD II High Shines. The bases of the shells are in Gunmetal.

11March206_13.jpg

11March206_10.jpg

11March206_15.jpg

Optics still covered with mask fluid

11March206_18.jpg

grills shaded with NATO black

11March206_23.jpg

11March206_19.jpg

cheers Mark

weathering will be the next part

A really big thanks Guys for the interest and support ! I will try and detail the weathering steps as best I can. I have ordered some tank crew which should make this a bit interesting.

cheers

Mark

Great job! :) Jolly well done!

Also have that kit in the stash, albeit in the mine-roller version. Heard this kit hailed as quite possibly the closest thing to perfection in armour modelling.

Big thanks Holmes :)

Jeff - I will try and detail the weathering as best I can. A lot of new techniques have emerged. But I am still very much in favour of washes and drybrushing. If I can help you at all - just ask :o Best to enjoy process - and accept a few mistakes along the way as it is all just learning through practice :D

Moritz - I really like the mine roller version - I wish I had it ! Also look at Tamiya LAV kit that is one of the best they made I hear.

you will like this photo -

Type92MR-01.jpg

this camo very inspiring !

Type90winter04.jpg

I started weathering in the usual format. First the application of pin wash using the MiG product dark wash - it flows into the panel lines as can be seen in photos below-

11March12_1.jpg

11March12_2.jpg

11March12_5.jpg

Then the next part is scratching and chipping of the paint. Not so necessary on Modern armour it has to admitted. However, these tanks have been in service with the Japanese Armed Forces for 20 years now. So I want to depict something with a long service life. It was difficult to find ref photos. But looking at a lot of MBT photos you will see that they do scratched and scraped a lot especially on the armoured skirts. I also wanted to depict wear around crew access areas.

11March12_3.jpg

A couple of techniques used. First a light green colour dabbed in areas using a sponge. Then also scraped quickly across the skirts to depict scratching.

11March12_4.jpg

I also used a very dark grey/black paint to depict a more chipped look on theareas of the turret where paint can be worn off by the crew. This time applied with both a sponge and a fine brush.

11March12_6.jpg

11March12_8.jpg

At the same time I painted and added weathering to the Auto loader mechanism.

11March12_7.jpg

more soon... cheers Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Big thanks Guys - it takes a few weeks for oil paints to dry.

Sorry a long delay ! I use oil paints and pigments for weathering. You will notice it is a lot more faded and matt in appearance now.

11March29_32.jpg

11March29_31.jpg

11March29_33.jpg

11March29_34.jpg

11March29_30.jpg

11March29_29.jpg

note that camnet needs Paint, fading and blending. It is glued in place with white glue to give a good sit.

still some more work required on road wheels and some washes, but I wont get it more worn out than what you see here.

Work on the crew -

11March29_25.jpg

11March29_24.jpg

I have used decals for the camo Jgsdf summer patter from Meister Chronicle Decals

11March29_26.jpg

they are glossy and will need some shading and of course a matt finish.

cheers

Mark

• 1 month later...

I was rather sceptical regarding the camo decals for uniforms, but this looks pretty darn impressive! :thumbsup:

How were these to work with? I reckon loads and loads of decal softener had to be used?

What patterns did you cut for the parts? How many parts did you break the uniforms down to?

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...