The first one was the Matchbox Tempest which I built as a Mk.V with the help of my father. There were no decals, or we lost them, in any case I brushed the markings on... with gouache paint - lots and lots of it as it would not stick.

The second one was an Airfix F-5 with instructions that had you attaching the air intakes upside down.Thirty years later, I saw a review of the same kit on SAMI - with the air intakes upside down. Nostalgia...

My 'serious' start was some ten years later with an Airfix F-15, painted with oils as the shop didn't stock enamels.

Edited by Bonehammer73

1980, 4-years-old, 1/48 Monogram Hawker Typhoon and 1/72 Revell F-4E that I built with my grandfather. I still have them both, unpainted though decalled. These were gifts of appreciation given to me by a friend of my dad's for taking him to the air show in Everett, WA. The friend is a Vietnam veteran who was a conscientious objector that signed on as a corpsman. While out in the field, the guy in front of him stepped on a mine, killing that soldier and the shrapnel shredding the friend's legs, thus requiring the near-constant use of a wheelchair ever since.

Edit: I've actually found boxings of both kits I intend to build at a later date for skill comparison. I know my grandfather, with his machinist tendencies, always wanted to rig the Typhoon with a motor to spin the propeller and a means to illuminate the lights. With today's technology in micro-motors and LEDs, I intend to do just that.

Edited by Horrido

I couldn't say with certainty, but it would have been probably 1973-74 making me about 6. In the runnung for first is the Hawk Spirit of St Louis, T-6 Texan or the AMT Star Trek Enterprise. One of my first on my own was an A-26 in silver plastic (maybe Airfix?), and I remember a chrome plated P-47 razor back.

Mine was a Monogram snap tight Space Shuttle that my moms co-worker gave to me as a present for my 4th birthday. I remember staring at the box and looking at what seemed like a million pieces for hours waiting to build it with my dad. Then, sitting at the kitchen table with my dad while he was cussing up a storm because he couldn't get it go together.

Good times.

Mine was a Monogram snap tight Space Shuttle that my moms co-worker gave to me as a present for my 4th birthday. I remember staring at the box and looking at what seemed like a million pieces for hours waiting to build it with my dad. Then, sitting at the kitchen table with my dad while he was cussing up a storm because he couldn't get it to go together.

Good times.

oops double post.

Edited by xavi84

1/48 Monogram F-20 Tigershark. My father came home from work one day with a kit for myself and one for my brother. I never knew if he stopped at the hobby shop on his way home or if the kits were from a coworker, but we spent the next several evenings at the dining room table gluing pieces together over newspaper. No paint or decals.

Aaron

Edited by jester292

During eve of New Year in 1980 (i'm was 7) parents presented to me GDR-made VEB-Plastikart 1/20 Vostok-1 Gagarin spaceship model, it was included glue and allumium enamel, i'm not went to bed untill non-finishing model, i'm work up to sunrise of 1'st January.

My first kit was a Japan Airlines 777 jet which I received as a birthday gift when I was just 7. But I was still alien to this hobby then so my dad did the whole assembly for me. ;)

The first one was some (most probably) 1/72 jet aircraft, possibly from Matchbox. I don't know why I think it was a Matchbox kit since I really can't remember any other details. I just have a hunch.

Slapped it together, didn't bother painting it (I didn't even have any paints) but I remember mentioning to my little brother about the decals and why the heck they have to be water slide decals and not just ordinary stickers. No wonder I hated the decaling process for years. Now I actually like it.

The first ones I built with certain degree of devotion were 1/144 Revell jets that I had bought from a local grocery store. After that, I was hooked.

Slapped it together, didn't bother painting it (I didn't even have any paints) but I remember mentioning to my little brother about the decals and why the heck they have to be water slide decals and not just ordinary stickers. No wonder I hated the decaling process for years. Now I actually like it.

Ha, for me it was opposite.

I remember being fascinated about "water-stickers" as i called them. And i really like to decal a model. :jaw-dropping:

My first model was a Mir space station from Heller. Bought it myself when it was on discount at Toys'R'Us. It is still alive, although in bad shape and needs a repair.

Can't remember the company, the old mand bought it for me. But it was a royal navy 1/48 Harrier. I built it with white glue in a few hours, and painted it up that same night, with a brush and humbrol navy blue. It's long since been in the trash. In fact, I only have one of my old models left, that being my TORCAN 1989 winning F-4D.

I would say an Aurora airliner (I'm thinking the PSA 737 or Hughes Airwest DC-9) or glow-in-the-dark Godzilla, and first military I recall is the Monogram A-7 Corsair II. Weren't those days fun? I used to go to Toys R Us and they'd have stacks of those Aurora kits; wish I'd kept those monster kits, that's for sure!

I got the A-7 for Christmas and started building right away; back then it was how fast can I build it and how many bombs can I hang on it? Funnily, I've found myself picking-up those Aurora airliners when I find 'em; 35 years later!

Bob

Mine was a big Stuka and from what i know now it must have been a 21st century 1/24 got it in venezuela while i was traveling on the family sail boat. I left it green and made jap logos with red pinkish nail polish!! i was about 10 back then!

After that when i turned 20 i build a revell p-51D in tuskegee paint scheme and ive been building various models ever since

Man this hobby is adictive

I know my first kit was Revell's 1/100 snaptite F-15C Eagle. My dad bought one each for me and my brother at the PX at Aberdeen proving ground way back in the day.

Edited by Quailane