Okay it seems that starting a topic like this inevitably gets Zactoman going so here goes:

How long do we have to wait for correctly shaped INTAKES for the Trumpeter 1/32 F-14?

Hey, it worked for Rafael Winter with the Flanker.

Seriously, I'll buy you the donor kit plus guarantee at least my order plus pay whatever else you want if you'll take this one on.

Edited by titan

I was one of the first builders of the kit, and I spread the message that the Trumpeter F-14 intake ramps are completely jacked. Now thinking back, there's a possibility that I might have reversed the left and right ramps (by following the instructions) which resulted in the incorrect angles. I can't verify this short of starting another F-14 kit.

If the ramp angles can be fixed by simply swapping left-right, then there's no need for a resin remedy.

if the ramps are indeed molded wrongly by Trumpeter, then the modeler (an adventurous one) can try correcting them by heating in hot water. Preferrably a resin fix can be supplied by Chris.

The upper and lower intake lips are also molded slightly unparallel when viewed from the front. IMHO this is minor flaw that would be extremely difficult for anyone to fix, resin or plastic. I'd just let it slide.

Terry

If the ramp angles can be fixed by simply swapping left-right, then there's no need for a resin remedy

Terry

Yes, they do work better swapped around. If i remember right i still had to twist and tweak them a bit. Pic below isn't a Tomcat Mistel, it shows (i hope) a comparison between the Tamiya cat on top and the Trumpeter cat with swapped ramps on the bottom. The intake angles and lips still look off, but the i think to fix these might be a huge undertaking.

IMG_0465.jpg

Don

• 4 weeks later...
How long do we have to wait for correctly shaped INTAKES for the Trumpeter 1/32 F-14?
Ahhh,,, The ever-growing list...

They look like they would be a fun project to correct.

Too many other projects in the queue...

"How long have we wait..."

Okay it seems that starting a topic like this inevitably gets Zactoman going so here goes:

Hey, it worked for Rafael Winter with the Flanker.

:rofl:

Nice try!

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Those ARE seriously F@€#'&D up!! Not only are the intake ramps ill fitting, but the outer lip is too squared off. And I'll second David's comment, it definately looks more like a MIG 25 than my "Anytime Baby". Zacto, I know you have a load on your plate, but unless you tackle this, I won't be buying the Trumpycat.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
You know really, while I have no doubt that intake replacements from Zacto would be magnificently done, it's not all that hard to do the correction yourself.
While I commend you on the beautiful build you did (http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=236271) ( :worship: ) and the modifications you made to the intakes (see post #43), I would guess that a full intake correction would be much more comprehensive.

I'd guess that it might not only correct the angles at the opening of the intake (fixing the side-walls and lower panel so that they are parallel and perpendicular to the top), but might also correct the shape of the exterior (corner radii, and overall contours), over-done surface detail, the interior ducting and wall thicknesses, as well as correct and detail the bypass doors and associated mechanisms.

Such a correction set might require a little cutting of plastic to install, but would be much less difficult than chopping and modifying the intakes yourself.

:moai:

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure if you are seriously contemplating doing this intake correction, but I would be in for a set as well. I'm planning on starting Trumpeter's D version next. You know, it just doesn't seem like a true Trumpeter build without at least ONE Zacto set included! ;)

Thanks,

John