Also, the kit's nose gear needs some serious upgrading. The spotlight is beyond lame - it's just a blob of plastic. When I built mine, I had to replace it with one from a Tamiya F-16. I may not have that many spare Tamiya F-16 kits lying around for future builds LOL.

I detailed the gear legs with some one-off parts. I think I might have trouble replicating them in future builds, it'd be nice to have a detail set. Here's what I mean:

tomcatnosegear1.jpg

Thank you,

Terry

I'd guess that it might not only correct the angles at the opening of the intake (fixing the side-walls and lower panel so that they are parallel and perpendicular to the top), but might also correct the shape of the exterior (corner radii, and overall contours),...

Just getting started so there are changes to come.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Front:

Intake_1.jpg

A little more obvious looking straight down each intake:

Intake_2.jpg

Intake_3.jpg

Intake_4.jpg

Intake_5.jpg

Intake_6.jpg

Please don't ask about release date or price. I have no clue but will try to be fast and fair.

:cheers:

Chris,

I don't have my DACO book with me at the moment, but I believe the variable intake ramps are usually set to up when the jet is on the ground of flying at subsonic. This means the inner intake walls need to be taller in order to accommodate the lifted ramps.

Whatever you do with them, I'm sold. Where do I sign? :)

Terry

I believe the variable intake ramps are usually set to up when the jet is on the ground of flying at subsonic. This means the inner intake walls need to be taller in order to accommodate the lifted ramps.
I found >>>this thread<<< had some good info:

"During my time and in the squadrons I was in, the ramps were typically left up at shut down. We would try to drop them before shut down if we knew the bird was going into the barn, but ended up dropping the ramps in the hangar alot of the time. "

I will be offering both up (stowed) and down (supersonic position) in the set.

Is there anything that you can do in the process to make copying of your parts more difficult than the Flanker intake sets were?
I'm thinking I'll add a giant raised "Z" on the outside of the lower panels just behind the intake lip. :P

Honestly, I'm not sure there's much I can do.

Decal makers often hide an intentional flaw somewhere on their sheets so they can prove that they were copied.

My Su-27 intakes had an unintentional flawed panel line that they copied but there was still nothing I could have done, not being able to afford the cost of lawyers and an international copyright battle.

I can only hope that if they are inspired to re-tool the Tomcat kits that they do the honorable thing and approach me with an offer of co-operation...

I can only hope that if they are inspired to re-tool the Tomcat kits that they do the honorable thing and approach me with an offer of co-operation...

For the Flanker, I figure they probably decided to use the 2-seater project to do two things: tool new parts for the UB and Su-30, and correct the common mis-shapened parts. With the Tomcat, they've already gone to market with all the possible versions. I think it makes less sense for them to correct any existing parts now. Just my 2 cents.

Terry

Chris, this is great news!! I knew I didn't buy 4 of the Trumpy F-14's for nothing! So where do I send the blank check?

Put me down for 4 sets.

Question: Would you ever consider later, doing and early boat tail for the Trumpy F-14?

Great work on those intakes and I cannot wait to see the finished product, but you are going to be very busy casting these and getting them out the door!

Great work on those intakes and I cannot wait to see the finished product, but you are going to be very busy casting these and getting them out the door!
That's the idea!
Question: Would you ever consider later, doing and early boat tail for the Trumpy F-14?
I was just thinking about that earlier today!

We'll see how well the intakes do first.

I mentioned that some cutting would be involved.

The pre-ramp area on the Trump kit is way too short (more than 1/4") plus it has a twist molded in to match up to their twisted bypass doors.

This area will need to be cut away from the lower fuselage part.

I've incorporated the new pre-ramp section into the intake part:

Intake_7.jpg

Insides are coming along:

Intake_8.jpg

Those intakes are coming along nicely, Chris.

It really irked me when I found out the kit's inside walls didn't reach the roof of the intakes. Hence I'm glad to your intakes have those heightened inside walls.

I was a bit worried that the requirement to cut the kit intakes' pre-ramp would be a lot of work. But then I think those pre-ramps would actually add structural rigidity - they offer more glueing surfaces than just the pointy tips of the vertical walls do. With resin pre-ramps, you won't have to worry about flexing the fuselage while handling the model and breaking the resin-plastic bond (something I had troubles with when using the Flanker intakes).

Now that the shape of the intake is a proper rectangle when viewed from the front, will that throw the fit between it and the fuselage bottom out of whack? I know it's an earlier prototype, but the second pic in post #29 kind of shows a gap.

Cheers,

Terry

Edited by loftycomfort
It really irked me when I found out the kit's inside walls didn't reach the roof of the intakes. Hence I'm glad to your intakes have those heightened inside walls.
I really had no choice but to re-do the inside walls as I wanted to accurately show all the detail in the bypass area and allow the intake ramps to be posed in their full up (stowed) position.
Now that the shape of the intake is a proper rectangle when viewed from the front, will that throw the fit between it and the fuselage bottom out of whack? I know it's an earlier prototype, but the second pic in post #29 kind of shows a gap.
Since taking the early pics I further modified the part so that it fits better:

Intake_9.jpg

I'll be making some final adjustments to get the finished part to fit as best I can.

I was a bit worried that the requirement to cut the kit intakes' pre-ramp would be a lot of work. But then I think those pre-ramps would actually add structural rigidity - they offer more glueing surfaces than just the pointy tips of the vertical walls do. With resin pre-ramps, you won't have to worry about flexing the fuselage while handling the model and breaking the resin-plastic bond (something I had troubles with when using the Flanker intakes).
I was hoping to not require any cutting but as I studied the kit it became obvious that it was required.

I was worried that the cuts might be difficult for the builder and the resulting chopped part might be too fragile and break.

Fortunately the cut turned out to be quite easy and despite lots of man-handling I haven't even come close to breaking the chopped kit part:

Intake_10.jpg

It turns out that having the pre-ramp attached to the intake really simplifies things.

For one, you don't have those long thin points (in resin no less!) sticking out waiting to be broken off before assembly.

It eliminates the need for the builder to get those points precisely aligned.

It eliminates the need to fill the seams between the pre-ramps and the forward intake walls.

It is structurally very strong.

Edited by Zactoman

Chris, they are coming along beautifully! I agree that it is better the way you have designed it with the forward preramp as part of the intake. It will at least keep everything square. I think the cut you have to make is not that difficult.

I have an idea about that boattail and will drop you a line offboard if that ok?

Really great job on those intakes!

How soon before the A-7 part are available once more?

I have an idea about that boattail and will drop you a line offboard if that ok?

How soon before the A-7 part are available once more?

Looking forward to the PM...

A-7 canopies have been shipped from my vendor and are in the mail. I'd guess it should be available again in about a week.

ohhhhhhhhh another strike from Chris

this looks awesome !

can not wait for the final version !

Will have to buy a trumpeter tomcat later

:woot.gif:

I am sure some other points can be improved too

if you need some photos as references I can send you some nice scans !

just let me know unless you have a good book

:rolleyes:

Edited by Ghostkiller

Thanks for the encouragement guys! :cheers:

Progress has been slow lately but I'm still moving along. I'll post pics when I have more to show.

I am sure some other points can be improved too

if you need some photos as references I can send you some nice scans !

just let me know unless you have a good book

I can't believe I'm saying this, but "no" I don't want any more references for the intakes.

I have several books including Danny Coreman's "Uncovering the Tomcat", loads of photos I've downloaded from various walkarounds AND

Dave Fassett (Bulldog 09), who is helping to restore the F-14D "Christine", is sending me all the photos and measurements I could possibly need!!! :yahoo:

Any additional intake reference would just bog me down...

I am looking for good reference on the early beavertail though.

If anybody happens to have good photos I'd be very interested!

Chris,

This is a very nice effort you are undertaking since the intakes are horrible. I am not building them (yes I have 2 Tomcats) until I have your intakes. Speaking of which: the A-7 still needs to take off on my workbench with your set :)

TIM