Thanks for the encouragement guys! :cheers:

Progress has been slow lately but I'm still moving along. I'll post pics when I have more to show.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but "no" I don't want any more references for the intakes.

I have several books including Danny Coreman's "Uncovering the Tomcat", loads of photos I've downloaded from various walkarounds AND

Dave Fassett (Bulldog 09), who is helping to restore the F-14D "Christine", is sending me all the photos and measurements I could possibly need!!! :yahoo:

Any additional intake reference would just bog me down...

I am looking for good reference on the early beavertail though.

If anybody happens to have good photos I'd be very interested!

:cheers:

Hey Chris, I sent you an email to your zactoman addy. Hope you got it ok ?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new here... I'm new... but cant wait for these parts to come out... I hope the master craftsman zactoman can also make corrections of the missile racks and include it with the set of correct intakes... I guess trumpy got the shape and size wrong -- of the missile rack headers located right after the front landing gear...

166dkk.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• 2 weeks later...
Are there any updates on the intakes you can share with us?
I wish I had a big update but I've been keeping pretty busy since releasing the upgraded MiG-29 intakes and MiG-29UB set.

In addition to molding and casting parts for orders, I've been molding some new parts for Alexander's the OH-58D upgrade set.

And... I've raked and bagged over 1,000 pounds of leaves! Ouch, my back!

I have managed to work on the intakes a little here and there.

I continued refining the first intake and poured a test mold to check shrinkage and fit. I then made some adjustments, poured a second mold and cast a clean copy that I will turn into the final pattern.

Satisfied with the shape and size I started the second side which should be ready for primer soon.

Intake_11.jpg

hello Chris

Is it the only part that you are going to work on with the trumpy kit ?

I am thinking about the canopy that is pushed way too far back :bandhead2:

this will make the zacto-trump a highly accurate model.

:woot.gif:

Ps / I am thinking about a bit of resin on the rear and a new canopy to solve the issue

Wow Chris, just noticed that your are rescuing 1/32 Tomcat fans the world over with this intake correction set. Woo-hoo!!

Your intakes look so much better than the kit intakes... well, they actualy look like the real thing.

Any chance you can have a look at the nose while you're at it?

Marcel

Also, the kit's nose gear needs some serious upgrading. The spotlight is beyond lame - it's just a blob of plastic.
Early beavertail sounds good, too. Wing flexible seal would also be appreciated.
I hope ... zactoman can also make corrections of the missile racks... I guess trumpy got the shape and size wrong -- of the missile rack headers located right after the front landing gear...
I am thinking about the canopy that is pushed way too far back...I am thinking about a bit of resin on the rear and a new canopy to solve the issue
Any chance you can have a look at the nose while you're at it?

I'm keeping all options on the table but at this time I'm just concentrating on the intakes.

I'm still hoping to get some good references for the early model beavertail/boat tail but have been striking out.

Oh man, I don't know how I missed this. The intakes were the sole reason why I didn't buy a Trumpy Cat but I can see that I won't have much choice. I'll definitely be getting one of them now!

Thanks for working on these, Chris!

Rob

Edited by TOPGUN

Got my first Tomcat kit today. The intakes definitely need fixing and the forward Phoenix pallets are waaaay off, the bulge in the front being way too shallow and misshapen to boot. #2 on the list for this kit needs to be the Phoenix pallets. Some G-factor gear would be welcome also. I think the rest of the kit is serviceable, but the intakes and missile pallets definitely need fixing.

Edited by Dave Williams

I just got the G-factor gear. Tough to say if it will work without trying it. The main issue is the attachments to the wells are different, so the top of the metal gear leg and/or the plug in the gear well will have to be modified. Just comparing the size of the G-factor nose gear to the kit plastic nose gear, they look to be the same size, so if the attachment issue can be worked out, they should sit the same.

Also looked at the bulge at the front of the forward Phoenix pallets. Except for the bulge, the rest of the pallet is almost the same dimensions as the Tamiya parts. Unless there is a fix coming, my thought would be to either use the Tamiya forward pallets, or cut the nose off the Tamiya pallet and attach it to the Trumpeter pallet if you want to preserve the side detail of the Trumpeter parts. It looks like you need to make the cut at where the pallet side detail starts, not at the scribed line that goes around the bulge on both parts. The reason is that I think you need to get all of the curve from where it begins from the flat part of the pallet, and cutting at the scribed line around the bulge misses some of the curve you want to keep.

Edited by Dave Williams