Thanks for all the encouraging comments! This looks to be a popular product.

Rivets!

I recall reading comments about how Trumpeter went way overboard with the rivets and how they shouldn't be present on the intakes.

Trumpeter may not have done a good job with their rivets but they are present and sometimes very prominent on the real thing.

Like the Tamiya Mustang wings, you can easily hide them with a coat of Mr. Surfacer or similar primer if you don't want them there.

The rivets on the actual plane are flush and painted over but often show and gather dirt. In certain areas the rivets tend to be hidden more (i.e. the forward sides) but I have included them for the modeler to decide what to do with.

For those who have seen Tomcats up close at air museums, keep in mind that they have been heavily repainted and haven't been used and abused.

Intake_16.jpg

Notice that Trumpter located the rear intersection of the intake part is too far back. This resulted in the engine access panel being way too narrow.

I moved the intersection forward, closer to where it belongs. This means that the intersection between the resin part will need to be eliminated and some re-scribing will be necessary.

Intake_17.jpg

Here is a good picture showing the engine access panel and the rivets on the intake: http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle_f-14d/f-14d_159600_christine_parts/images/f-14d_159600_christine_parts_265_of_354.jpg

:cheers:

Hi Chris,

I've got to say, your work is remarkable. I've just been studying these new intakes and I'm sat here gaping at the delicacy of your work. When I think how tough it is to scribe a single straight line I'm in awe of the accuracy and crispness of these intakes. Every line, curve and rivet is beautifully rendered.

Another thing that impresses me is the varying depth of the panel lines compared to the rivet detail within each panel. That must take alot of effort.

I hope they are as popular as they appear to be. :pray:

Bravo dude, these look tremendous. :worship:

:thumbsup:

I have been lurking on this one for a while now and those intakes look Awesome! :thumbsup: Glad I am not the only one that noticed that the daily doors were too narrow on the Trumpeter kit. I am curious if you will be producing them with the P&W engine differences for the "A" model Tomcats as well? Or will we just need to make the changes, which wouldn't be too difficult anyway?

KiowaFixer

Thanks again for the nice comments guys! :cheers:

I've been making good progress and am currently scribing the second intake.

I was wondering if the new Quickboost intake cover fit in your intake. Did you modifyed the area where the cover is normaly located?

No, my intakes are not even close to the same size or shape as the kit parts.

I'm hoping that when you see them you won't want to put covers on them!

:cheers:

Edited by Zactoman
  • 3 weeks later...

Any updates on these Chris? I too am eagerly awaiting a set for my pooched Trumpeter F-14A. Just as soon as the resin is cured, there are dozens, if not hundreds, of us with cash ready to throw at you in exhange for at least one set of these beauties. Doo tell.

• 3 weeks later...