Thanks again for the enthusiasm for this project! :cheers:

I have been making progress! (But have been very busy filling orders for previous products (which is a good thing!))

The second intake is almost caught up to the first with just a few more rivets to add.

I still need to detail the inside a bit, make the bypass ramps and the details visible above the bypass ramps through the upper fuselage vents.

I also need to make new fuel tank pylons that will put the tanks in the correct position (the kit provided ones have the tank sticking out in front of the intake lip about 1/4†where it should be even with the lip!).

I'll post some new pictures as soon as I have something new to show.

:cheers:

other issues that I can think of;

1. the canopy rear is too slanted in the area where it mates with the fuselage

2. the phoenix forward pallets are much too flat

3. the crew boarding stpes are too square

Lastly, I could be wrong, but the hobbyboss radome appears better than the trumpeter?

other issues that I can think of;

1. the canopy rear is too slanted in the area where it mates with the fuselage

2. the phoenix forward pallets are much too flat

3. the crew boarding stpes are too square

Lastly, I could be wrong, but the hobbyboss radome appears better than the trumpeter?

I did not know that Hobby Boss also made a 1/32 F-14?

Actually i disagree with the slope of the canopy.

I think Trump nailed the Omega shape which Tamiya messed up quite badly.

Just curious, are you and dryguy talking about the same thing?

I believe dryguy means this error:

FF7C7619-E024-4EFB-BB04-64904724066F-611-000000E3B8941F22.jpg

This is the HB 48th scale kit with Hasegawa canopy dry-fitted, but it shows where the HB (and Trumpeter) canopy has a different shape.

Edited by Anders_Isaksson

Thanks Anders, you understood exactly what I meant :thumbsup: Other than that I like the canopy dehowie, I think trumpeter goot it mostly right (perhaps not enough curve on the lower frame line of the side portion on the windhield....)

I have never built either of the 1/32 cats but from what I can see, I agree with dehowie that the shape of the forward fuselage is on the whole pretty good. A pitty about the forward phoenix palletes..its funny how some things are acceptable to some but bug others. I know this is a small mistake in reality but it is still annoying to me.

Honestly, in my opinion, with zactoman's reworked intakes, the only glaring error is the phoenix pallets to my eye. With Zacotman's correction this kit will be a real winner. I just wish he could be convinced to work in 1/48, then I really would be able to say get lost to the hasegawa cat!!!

Honestly, in my opinion, with zactoman's reworked intakes, the only glaring error is the phoenix pallets to my eye. With Zacotman's correction this kit will be a real winner. I just wish he could be convinced to work in 1/48, then I really would be able to say get lost to the hasegawa cat!!!

About the pallets, would it be sufficient to increase their thickness by adding a strip of styrene to the pallet, between the pallet and the bottom fuselage?

I must confess I have not looked into this yet, but for a possible Trumpeter F-14D I think it would need correcting.

Surely some rescribing of surface detail on the pallets might be needed too if going that route.

BTW Anders, how are your 'cats, both 1/32 and 1/48th coming on? hint hint, nudge nudge....

Hey, stop doing that or you'll risk waking up those shelfqueens! :lol: ;)

Actually, thanks for asking, good to know someone remember them. :)

Acutally the HB Tomcat is still on the go (inbetween other projects) but I am stuck sanding some nasty seams on the rear fuselage.

Someone didn't pay enough attention when applying filler and now there is a lot of redundant sanding and cleanup to do.

But then it's on to the painting - finally!

The Tamiya Tomcat is stuck in the cockpit, I never seem to get out of it and so that build is on pause - for now at least.

Edited by Anders_Isaksson
Chris, are there other issues with the kit other than the intakes. I can think of the tails...or are they ok?
I was hoping to mark up some pictures to illustrate my findings but I just haven't had the time so I'll try to write some of my observations.

Glaring errors (IMHO):

1. Intakes - Totally hosed. I'm working on it...

1a. - Fuel tank location. Trump has the fuel tanks way too far forward. They stick out about 1/4" in front of the intake where they should be close to flush. My correction will fix this...

2. Phoenix pallets - I've only glanced at them but the big problem is the area in front of the forward missile. Trumpeter has the ridge (from the front point of the pallet to the point of the missile) almost straight. It needs to have a compound curved profile when viewed from the side. The other problem area is the curve between the missile nosecone and the pallet. The curve should match the contour of the missile nosecone but Trump has a sharper curve resulting in a gap between the two. The pallets could be re-worked by an experienced modeler or you could wait for an eventual aftermarket replacement.

Not so glaring errors (again, IMHO):

1. Canopy - Trumpeter did a better job than Tamiya here, especially on the overall clarity of the clear part, but there are a few problems.

As mentioned, the rear edge of the canopy is at the wrong angle. This could be fixed by cutting a wedge from the canopy and integrating it into the fuselage. The rear frame (where it meets the glass) will need to be changed to match this new angle.

On the windscreen Trump got the center pane closer to correct than Tamiya. They also have a nice sharp transition between the center and side panes where Tamiya is very soft. As mentioned, the side panes do not have enough curve where they meet the fuselage but there is no good way to fix this. Also the front of the side frames extend too far forward and come to too much of a point. This can be fixed by adding a little material over the glass portion at the front of the side panes, being sure to get the correct angle and radii in the corners.

2. Forward fuselage/nosecone shape - Tamiya is much closer here, especially near the radome. Trump put much more emphasis on having the lower corners of the fwd-fus making it look 'bottom-heavy'. Yes, it should be sharper/heavier towards the rear of the fwd-fus but it should transition into a much rounder shape towards the front. If you look closely at real pics of the radome you will see that it is almost round where Trump has it very wide towards the bottom edge and not at all round.

One of the results of this is that the cannon muzzle (and other details) are located too low...

As mentioned, the steps are too square. Some of the other panels are off in shape and location. Just the fact that all the panels are separate pieces (that don't fit well) is a turn off too me. I'd have preferred that they either had it all closed up or included a separate, closed fuselage half in the kit.

I'm calling the fwd-fus issues 'not as glaring' because there's not much you could do other than replace the entire forward fuselage, and it isn't as noticeable as the other 'glaring' issues. The nose can be left as-is and it still builds up into a nice model.

3. Other shapes - Neither Trump or Tamiya got all the shapes right but overall Tamiya has some better lines. Other areas of the Trump kit that caught my eye include the engine trunking behind the intakes (I made mine to fit the kit.). Trump has the trunking too full and round and Tamiya has it too elliptical. It should be somewhere in between.

The outer fuselage edges from the main gear doors and back - Trump has a constant shape with a sharp radius on the lower edge. This edge should vary from sharp towards the front to soft at the rear gear doors to sharp again towards the rear. This can probably be filed and sanded to be more accurate.

The rear parts that the exhausts mount to - Trump is a little heavy and sharper on the corners. The shapes/transition between bare metal and painted areas need some rework.

The raised step on top of the fuselage between the outer intake edge and fixed delta wing part/lex. Trump made this step shallower than Tamiya. Tamiya looks a little better here.

I haven't really studied the entire kit but I'm sure there would be minor issues from front to rear. Overall though (with corrected intakes), it is a really nice kit and could be built to be a total show-stopper.

I just wish he could be convinced to work in 1/48, then I really would be able to say get lost to the hasegawa cat!!!
If only I had more hands or could alter time (I've been thinking about this a lot and have some ideas I'm contemplating) ...

Oh and just a small update, the second intake is now completely riveted and caught up to the first. I still have some lines and rivets to add to the insides. Bypass doors, bypass detail area and fuel tank stub pylons still need to be done as well as some other minor detail.

Unfortunately I haven't had much time to work on it lately. I've been busy filling orders and pouring fresh molds of previous product. I'm also busy doing a little home improvement re-modeling our kitchen. I'll be working on the intakes in-between things as much as I can but customers and Zactowoman come first...

I was hoping to mark up some pictures to illustrate my findings but I just haven't had the time so I'll try to write some of my observations.

Glaring errors (IMHO):

If only I had more hands or could alter time (I've been thinking about this a lot and have some ideas I'm contemplating) ...

I have both kits build and totally see what you're saying. Nose kinda reminded me of the Academy 1/48 kit. Both kits were a "challenge" to build, the Trumpeter less so. Conundrum....which to build, which to flog.....The Trumpeter Phoenix pylons, i guess we could try adapting the Tamiya front parts? Or if the aftermarket could do the front curved parts in resin we could use the Trumpy flat parts. They do have nice engraved details. The tails i can't say which are more accurate, but the rudders on the Trumpy offering are shorter and narrower, aftermarket decals don't fit right. Ask me how i know...

Don

With you now Dr Guy! Yep our right on that front the slope is out!

I am thinking this error should be less apparent if posing the canopy open. Perhaps it is enough to reshape the rear end of the canopy as the shape of the spine may be hidden by the canopy overhang?

Gotta try this on my HB Tomcat...

Anders you are right about posing the canopy open, can't hardly notice the issue.

Nose kinda reminded me of the Academy 1/48 kit

I think it's a bit unfair comparing it to the academy kit, in my opinion you have to really study the kit once built to se that the nose is off, unlike the academy kit which, is it really even an f14?!

Edited by dryguy

Anders you are right about posing the canopy open, can't hardly notice the issue.

I think it's a bit unfair comparing it to the academy kit, in my opinion you have to really study the kit once built to se that the nose is off, unlike the academy kit which, is it really even an f14?!

Agree the Trumpeter and HB Cats are so far from Academy's debacle of an F-14 as to be not in the same solar system let alone ballpark..

Well... OK, the Academy is bad in its own class of bad. I don't think you have to really study the kit to see it is off, granted i'm just going by eyeball. Comparing it to pics and having both Trumpeter and Tamiya kits built side by side you can easily see there is something "off" about the Trumpy nose. Not enough to discourage me from shelving my Tamiya kits and going with the Trumpeter offering, but still off. Guess i'll need a couple of intake sets, too.

Don

Well... OK, the Academy is bad in its own class of bad. I don't think you have to really study the kit to see it is off, granted i'm just going by eyeball. Comparing it to pics and having both Trumpeter and Tamiya kits built side by side you can easily see there is something "off" about the Trumpy nose. Not enough to discourage me from shelving my Tamiya kits and going with the Trumpeter offering, but still off. Guess i'll need a couple of intake sets, too.

Don

Yes, I totally agree with all comments. I have 12 tamyis and 8 trump tomcats. I can say that I waited for ever to get the trump tomcat thinking I wouldn't have to scratch build, describe, rivet and do new side intakes, (12 months to work on a tamiya to get the above to comp standard. Looking back was worth the time as I one first place,how ever anyone how has done the above to a tamiya and then has or is building a trump tomcat will agree that there is just as much work to do on the trump tomcat just in different areas, describe, filling in rivets, cockpit wheel wells changing rear engine housing to make the tomcat look like an A variant. NOT TO MENTION THE AIRINTAKes which looks like crapppppppp. Front left wall compartments are a total nightmare if wanting them closed. And the wings. And the nose being the important look of the hole plane is totally shocking and does not come close to looking as good as the tamiya. Chris you air intakes are hands down fantastic work, it will help the look of the kit, please consider making all the corrections for the rest of the plane thought, trump has dropped the ball on this kit and I love them as I have all their other kits in 1-32 scale. Look I love to scratch build and I can say that I am good at what I do, however it sucks that we need so much resin ad dons to make the kit look really good. Love your work and thank god for all your work, please don't stop at the AIRINTAKes.

Thanks mike

Wolfpack Design just released the new Bombcat update set in 1/32. But it looks like, that they don´t fixed the forward pylone :bandhead2: What do you think guys? This flat pallet looks so stupid... Chris, can you PLEASE fix this error?

wp32052-3_zps776e07c2.jpg

Edited by Tomcatfreak