Thanks guys :cheers:

I have been making progress but have no new pics to show. Been too busy shoveling snow and updating my website. :bandhead2:

Chris, I think what you accomplished is just incredible. Those parts we can see on the above pic, I suppose they are magnified at least four times.

I can imagine their actual size. Absolutely amazing! Being so tiny they look so crisp and flawless!

Your craftsmanship is of top notch level!

Bravo my friend! Bravo!

Alexander

:salute:

While I'm happy with what I've done here, it pales in comparison to some of the detail work you've produced! (No, you da man!!!)

Besides, after making the 1/144 F-15 details this stuff seems big!

Size_1_zps3099a092.jpg

:cheers:

p.s. Chris: almost nearing production?

I'm getting closer but still a ways to go.

I have one intake about complete and ready to mold. I'll do a test mold then finish off the second intake (which is almost caught up) once I'm sure the parts are up to snuff.

I then need to make new pylons for the fuel tanks before calling it finished.

Recent delays have included a bunch of orders that came in all at once (which is good because it was getting scary!) and too much snow to shovel.

I finished finished casting and shipped the orders today.

Sunday I shoveled about a foot of snow off my 120+ foot driveway, walkways and doggie paths in the back yard only to have another 6" dumped the next day (as well as about another 2" per day since.).

My arms (and whole body) were so jello that I was barely able to cast parts. There was no way for me to do any precision work on the intakes!

I'm still a little rubbery but will be working on them tonight.

Are there other areas than the tails Chris should tackle!??

Tim

p.s. Chris: almost nearing production? :thumbsup:/>

How a bout a new cast left front fuselage half with all the panels closed up? I know shrinkage maybe a problem but I think Chris has this sorted with his other pieces he offers for sale. I think it would sell well for those that do not want to go through the hassels of closing them up and have it look really nice.

I have one intake about complete and ready to mold. I'll do a test mold then finish off the second intake (which is almost caught up) once I'm sure the parts are up to snuff.
And then disaster struck :bandhead2:

I broke the finished intake pattern while opening the test mold :bandhead2:

After the panic, sickness, depression and hang-over had subsided, I began trying to salvage the project.

I'm relieved to say that I'm back on track. While the pattern was ruined, the mold did come out good and I managed make a casting in a much more durable resin that I will use to make the production molds from. This may have an impact on the final fit of the resin parts but I'm confident that they'll still work.

Some of the final exterior details I added. The main gear strut connector, finished NACA vent and raised intake drain panels:

Intake_26_zps9eec1fcc.jpg

Interior surface detail added (some Tomcats have additional internal raised strengthening panels added. I decided to leave them off):

Intake_27_zpsc4c3fa6b.jpg

I won't be providing new engine fans with the intake set.

Intake_28_zpscd7c8f4b.jpg

I need to add a few more small details on the bypass area before making a test mold of those parts. Then I'll finish up the other intake and details. And finally do the fuel tank pylons.

When this kit will be ready ?

Sorry but I don't have a date. I will release it when it is ready, as soon as I can...

Fantastic work! Amazing detail. As has been said, too bad the rest of the kit isn't up to these standards.

I am very sorry to hear about the issues with the break, but you did figure out a out a way to fix the issue.

Really looking forward to these.

Edited by Av8fan
  • 2 weeks later...
Are they kit compressor faces? I assume the intakes are sized for kit parts?

Those pictured above are the stock kit parts and yes I sized the rear of the intake to fit them.

I decided to clean one up to see how much nicer it could look:

Intake_30_zps93fce04e.jpg

That was a lot of work!

So, I decided I'll mold and cast the cleaned up part and include a pair. :thumbsup: