I'm a figure modeler 90% of the time, however I have the Tamiya 1/72 P-47 Razorback on my table...I'm a closet airplane modeler! Anyhow, decals are going on and I was wondering...do you cut through the decal where the panels lines run, let them lie on top, or keep putting solution (I like Micro Scale Set and Sol...) on until they settle in?

This is my first plane in a long time. Maybe I will get brave enough to post a pic when I am finished.

Thanks for the input!

Tom

If you've used setting solution they should eventually bed in, but sometimes it takes awhile for the solution to act fully. Leave the model overnight, then next day if they still don't appear to have settled into the panel lines give them a repeat dose.

peebeep

Hi!

After a clear gloss coat I use Micro Sol on the decals. In most cases (not too thick decal carrier fim) 1 or 2 layers of Micro sol and soft pressure with a brush should be enough to get the decals in the panel lines.

One really important thing: don´t move the decals after the application of Micro Sol :thumbsup:

You didn't say whether you are going to use the kit decals. If so, use hot, hot water to dissolve the glue. Apply decal and press decal into place with a hot, wet cloth. If you must use solvent use either Mr Mark Softer or Tamiya's Decalfix. Usually the heat treatment works well with Tamiya decals.

Actually, they only appear thick. This is due to a thick layer of glue. You need to melt that glue, hence the hot, hot water. This also makes the decal softer and more pliable.

canopy-24.jpg

This is a Tamiya decal that was applied in the manner I mentioned earlier. It looks pretty thin on the model, no? No special technique or solutions required, just used really hot water to remove the decal from the paper backing and pressed it into place with a hot cloth.

Only after you have the decals as well as any softeners (MircoSol, etc) and all have dried thoroughly, then if the decal still has not settled into the panel line, you can go over the decal with a scapel blade or new Xacto blade (and reapply the softener).