Massive 9.0 quake in Japan

Hey-

Really scary. My son is in Japan, fortunately in Kyoto, far enough away not to be affected. Facebook my be silly sometimes, but with the phones lines jammed, it was the best way to have a chat with him to make sure he was OK.

Hoping for the best for those that were affected.

Phil

Man, this is absolutely devastating!!! And I was just talking about Japan with someone from here last night. My prayers to the many, many, affected. A cousin of my wife's is in Japan (Osaka) and she reported all is well there. I feel terrible for those who have and continue to suffer through this nightmare...

Rob

My best wishes for Japan and all those affected. I don't really know what to say or how to say it....the videos of devastation are just mind boggling. No matter what we do nature is a force against which we are over matched.

West coast of Vancouver Island, Canada experienced 2 foot high tidal surges.......and that is 6,500 km from the epicentre of the Japanese quake.

Anyone know how high the tidal surges were in Hawaii?

U.S. Navy mobilizing. No Surprise there, and only the beginning, I imagine. Other countries' armed services are probably mobilizing as well.

The naval resources are critical as many people get swept out to sea....and the possibilty of rescue at sea is always present. I think the people in the coastal area by Shendai got very little warning about the tsunami.

Damnit. Looks like my trip to Japan is definitely off now.... I'd been invited to go along with a friend who has family over there, was going to stay for most of April. The area they live in wasn't in the Tsunami zone, but it's definitely close enough to have been affected by both the offshore and Tokyo quakes. I haven't been able to get a hold of my friend to ask him, so I don't know if his family is safe either...

SP

Reports indicate that at Matsushima 18 F-2B fighters 'and some other aircraft' have been damaged by the tsunami, some are reported to be beyond repair. Apparently no loss of life on the base itself.

I think that, in a few moments from now when dawn breaks in Japan we are able to witness the full extent of the damage.

West coast of Vancouver Island, Canada experienced 2 foot high tidal surges.......and that is 6,500 km from the epicentre of the Japanese quake.

Anyone know how high the tidal surges were in Hawaii?

Talked to my son this morning- - he's on the 20th floor of a hotel on Waikiki(SP??). He said about a 3 ft surge, got to the seawall but not over it.He said PH got about an 18" surge. Hope he doesn't get recalled to his ship, he's been out about 7 1/2 months and looking forward to getting home to his boys. His wife flew out yesterday so, she's with him. They're fine and hope to be home next week.

Cheers, Terry

I'm OK here in Yokosuka. No damage that I'm aware of here, but we're feeling the impact. Power was out for about 12 hours, the trains are just starting run again so a lot of people were stranded at the train stations overnight (my girlfriend included).

The expressways were also shut down so getting north of the base by car was out of the question as well, couple of my friends at work ended up crashing at my place. I had no idea how bad things were until the power came back on and I turned on CNN-J. My prayers go out to everyone here who was impacted by this event.

I got a call at 0200 from my dad telling me Japan was hit and it broke my heart and left me in awe watching the destruction. I have family in Ofuna and although I haven't heard from them I know they're out of the affected area. It's been a long day!

It's been a long day!

It's been a long tiring day for all of us. I got very little sleep last night and I've been following the TV news reports all day.

I'm thankful the death toll isn't as high as I originally feared. The area hit by the Tsunami looks like it was a very peaceful part of the countryside. I think the people in that aera got little warning, but the local airport didn't seem to have any airliners on the ground, indicating they had some warning.

My son is heading to Hawaii tomorrow for a school trip and rugby tournament, so this has had us on the edge of our seats all day. Spoke to the guys at Air Canada cargo here in Toronto an hour ago (had to go and drop off a parcel) and they said that Vancouver, where they land first, only got a wave about a foot high and that's it. The tour organizer has heard from others in Honolulu and apparently the airport has not suffered at all. Looks as if it's a 'go', the only thing that might cause a snag is if a lot of emergency services are staging through there for points west, but since they're a hell of a lot more important than a rugby tournament we'll understand. And while we're on the subject let's give a big shout out to all those who are there now, heading there, and will be going there soon. I only wish I was young enough and in good enough shape to go myself and lend a hand. They have a long slog ahead of them, I wish them well.

We had tsunami warnings all over the news here on the central coast of California, but in my neck of the woods, aside from some odd tide and wave behavior (high tides and low tides every 10-15 minutes), nothing of any consequence. About an hour north of me there was some minor damage, and somewhere around Santa Cruz (I believe it was) somebody decided it would be a good idea to go stand on a sandbar and try to shoot pictures of the incoming wave. He found out the hard way that it wasn't such a good idea to do that...it's presumed by USCG that he's unfortunately no longer with us.

Thoughts and prayers to everybody in Japan...this is a monumental tragedy :(.