Massive 9.0 quake in Japan

Well Ladies and Gentlemen here is where we can help, if you only give a small amount say $5 to the Red Cross then it will be a step forward in aiding those who have suffered so much in Japan. I know most of us are spending a lot more than that on kits these days so why not pass on that new kit, for now, you've got a stash, eh, and send some of the cost to the Red Cross. Push your Gov'ts to aid or at least match what the people donate! I sincerely hope Canada has cranked up our Military Disaster Assistance team to head over and at least set up the water purifying system!! So step up to the plate, I plan to send some $$ to the Red Cross to aid in Japan.

I couldn't agree more with both of you.

It's very painful to watch the videos of the Japanese tsunami. Breaks my heart. My thoughts & prayers go out to the Japanese people. They are a strong people and will band together in the face of adversity. They've proven this before. Within a few short years after the devastation of WW2, they became an economic superpower and an industrial giant. After the Kobe earthquake, they rebuilt that city with incredible speed. They have an inner strength & resolve inside of them.

I think the concern was the thought that people were callously lamenting over ruined fighter planes when the real tragedy is, of course, the human loss. Honestly, I don't think that's what's going on; no one is seriously crying over spilled jets. But on the other hand, people might be a bit more irritable and combative than usual.

Either way, folks, spend your efforts in support of the Japanese people in better places than internet arguments.

Oh, maybe I had missed some posts or something, I went back and looked but didn't see anything ... Removed ? :(

Gregg

My wife posted a video on her facebook of the water rushing in. You can follow the water with the timer on your video viewer. Within 6 minutes, the person filming went from the bare asphalt to water rushing past the earth embankment almost three stores up.

I asked my wife where she picked up the video, sent from a friend of a friend, so unfortunately I cannot link to it. I can send it to you Steve if you know of a way to host it

http://bit.ly/hZZ2YE

I think that is the video you've seen, it fits the description. Filmed at ground level, it shows very clearly how fast the water rises and how it would be very difficult to stay alive if caught on ground level. There is so much debris hurled around at high speed, anyone trying to swim or float would be knocked out in seconds.

And this is a bit inland - its not the massive wave hitting the shores that we've seen on video a few times, it shows how the water continue to rush inland and rise.

I'm not sure those jets were caught on the ground due to lack of warning. There was some warning but it wasn't much. But ponder this......it appears no airliners were caught on the ground at the Shendai airport......this could have been luck or maybe the warning was enough to get the jets in the air. My rough guess is the warning was much less than 30 minutes.......I'm guessing it was 5 to 15 http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/style_...list.gifminutes.

I suspect those Japanese fighter jets that were caught on the ground....could have been lame ducks unable to fly due to repairs that were underway.

Sendai is a relatively small airport with few flights a day. Most flights take place during 'rush hour', early in the morning and late afternoon. I guess it was sheer luck there were no airliners at the gate.

There are some maintenance companies and light aviation hangars on the south side of the airport, and a number of aircraft and helicopters were washed away.

Having been to Matushima airbase three times, I can tell you that at the time the tsunami hit, roughly 15.00 in the afternoon, the F-2Bs were just inbetween missions. They normally fly three waves a day, with crews preparing for the third one when the earthquake hit. Normally there are between 6 to 10 jets out on the flightline in front of the hangars, with the others inside.

I was at Hyakuri once when an earthquake hit just as a few F-15s were landing. It was just a minor one (they happen in Japan almost every day), but all flying was stopped to check the runway and taxiways for damage. This took about ten minutes, after which the Eagle that had just landed was allowed to continue taxiing and his buddies which had overshot were allowed to land.

With about ten minutes warning time before the tsunami hit, they barely had time to check the runway and taxiways.

Normally Matsushima has 19 F-2Bs IIRC (it is a training base, so they only have twoseat F-2Bs). I read reports of 18 being damaged or destroyed, which probably means one was away at Komaki for maintenance. Some T-4s of the unit were also damaged.

The Blue Impulse display team and almost all of its T-4 aircraft were away at the time of the tsunami. The Air Rescue Service unit at the base also didn't have time to react and a number of their aircraft (2 U-125A and a at least one UH-60J were also damaged or destroyed).

Inbetween Sendai airport and Matsushima airbase there is the small army airbase of Kasuminome (roughly 5 km north of Sendai airport). The base houses OH-6 and UH-1 helicopters, but I haven heard anything about damage or loss of life there. Given the fact that it is located pretty close to the sea also, I believe it didn't escape unscathed.....

Edit: I just realised it happened on a friday. I was at Matsushima on a friday once, and they only flew two waves. So it could have been they had just finished flying and were preparing the jets to be towed back into the hangar when the earthquake and subsequent tsunami struck.

Edited by pollie

For those interested, here's a reality check for what's going on with the nuclear reactors and how they work.

http://bravenewclimate.com/2011/03/13/fuku...le-explanation/

Note that almost all of the news reports show generic diagrams of a PWR (Pressurized Water Reactor) and it's containiment, while the affected plants are BWRs (Boiling Water Reactors).

For those interested, here's a reality check for what's going on with the nuclear reactors and how they work.

Note that almost all of the news reports show generic diagrams of a PWR (Pressurized Water Reactor) and it's containiment, while the affected plants are BWRs (Boiling Water Reactors).

Good article, but long, I had seen that link posted on another website too.

Regards,

Murph

http://bit.ly/hZZ2YE

I think that is the video you've seen, it fits the description. Filmed at ground level, it shows very clearly how fast the water rises and how it would be very difficult to stay alive if caught on ground level. There is so much debris hurled around at high speed, anyone trying to swim or float would be knocked out in seconds.

And this is a bit inland - its not the massive wave hitting the shores that we've seen on video a few times, it shows how the water continue to rush inland and rise.

Yes that is the one.

Most interesting link, Dave.

I'm having a real hard time wrapping my head around whats going on over there. It is hard to imagine such devastation and such a constantly evolving situation with aftershocks and the reactor troubles. I cant imagine what any Japanese person is thinking right now, even if they weren't directly affected by the quake. Best to all our Japanese friends, sorry I cant really do much more than to donate funds.

As for the post on the F-2 that was removed I don't think there is anything wrong with posting pictures of the devastation, how else can we understand what is going on. It was bad wording though equating the destruction of a piece of machinery as "another Japanese casualty." Imagine if someone said the same for 9/11 equating the 767s and 757 as a casualty, it would **** some people off. Im sure there was no ill intent, just bad wording that could have been corrected instead of taken down.

Edited by camaroz06

Words can not express my feelings for the folks in Japan. Seeing the images of the devastation there reminded me of the damage hurricane Katrina inflicted on New Orleans and Mississippi, but on a much much larger scale. The Japanese people are an example to us all on how to handle a crissis. My prayers are with them.

Yeah, I've seen some right out poor things the media has been doing such as countdown to meltdown type coverage.

Reasonable and responsible journalism died long ago.

YOU SAID IT!

Edward R. Muro spins in his grave nowadays.

Most said to be journalists are just entertainers at best to loud mouth puppets of their corporate handlers/employers at worst today. Very few in any part of the world are true, professional and informed journalists nowadays.

Edward R. Muro spins in his grave nowadays.

"The tsunami was more worse here than in other places"

Soledad O'Brien

3/14/11

Truly, Mr. Muro is spinning in his grave, while the rest of us who speak English cringe. This is a "big name" mainstream so-called "reporter" who can't even use basic English grammar on worldwide television. I'd be so ashamed of myself I'd resign and get a job at McDonalds.

"The tsunami was more worse here than in other places"

Soledad O'Brien

3/14/11

Truly, Mr. Muro is spinning in his grave, while the rest of us who speak English cringe. This is a "big name" mainstream so-called "reporter" who can't even use basic English grammar on worldwide television. I'd be so ashamed of myself I'd resign and get a job at McDonalds.

In all fairness......she was referring to the worstest hit area and I believe by using the word "more" she was trying to convey the highest worstestness description she could conjure. B)

Do you want to supersize that?