With the Chipmunk canopy plug curing and the computer down for a full overhaul, I had time to beat my head against a brick wall once more with the 1/48 scale Aeroclub Tiger Moth kit. Overall it is not too bad..for a limited run kit but in need of work to Canadianize it. It is a multi media kit with injected plastic, white metal and vacuformed parts..Just like the Chipmunk.

The very limited drawing sheet gives the impression that the CDN Moths were all powered by the American Menasco engine when in fact only a small number of the DH Canada built Moths had that engine installed. Fortunately the manufacturer added both the Menasco and Gipsey cowling fronts.

This model will be a reproduction of the Tiger that I flew more than half a century ago but in its full military markings...as s/n 5888. I made up new instrument panels as per the Chipmunk project, added seat belts and closed up the fuselage...and as you can see, it took alot of Tamiya putty.

The model is on its gear with the lower wings and tail attached and ready for paint. My big catch-22 will be trying to ad the tiny control horns...only time will tell

Barney

002.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

Hey Barney thats going to look great!

Would you be able to take a photo of the lower wings in place under the fuselage? It would be a great help to my build as I have the 1/48 Aeroclub fuselage but some SMER wings...

Trying to figure out if these are to large for the aeroclub parts or not.

Will be watching your build with interest.

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys..better than Sean B's suggestion..I've very quickly assembled and painted the model and did I say that I really like the Iwata Eclipse CS? It is now gloss coated with Polly Scale Clear and some of the decals going on right now.

Triple EightBall will be completely painted and decalled before the struts and upper wing go on and then the riggingfun begins. I'll have some photos shortly.

Barney

The wee Tiger Moth has now been painted and decalled but still in need of some touch-ups around the cockpits and landing gear. I've also added a pic of the bottom centre section for Phat Trev although with the filler putty and paint, you can't see too much detail. The decals are a mix of Aeroclub and Leading Edge

Both the upper and lower wings have been pre-drilled to take the monofilament rigging

Barney

DHC-82TigerMoth009.jpg

DHC-82TigerMoth010.jpg

DHC-82TigerMoth011.jpg

DHC-82TigerMoth012.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

With the upper wing and struts in place it was time to :woot.gif: so....I had pre-drilled all of the rigging holes in anticipation of using monofilament line but the best layed plans of mice and men....The line would not straighten out so that was scrapped and plan "B" was instituted..use very fine SS music wire available in straight lengths.

Measuring and cutting and fitting and cutting again many times over, I finally got all of the wires in place and help there with tiny drops of CA glue.

The canopy is being painted and I'm trying to figure out a way of installing control horns and cables on the rudder and elevators. I know that there are numerous very small items missing but I can't see that small

Barney

DHC-82TigerMoth015.jpg

DHC-82TigerMoth018.jpg

The Tiger is 99% finished. I'm attempting to make the elevator and rudder control horns and if I can do a reasonable job of it I'll finish that final detail

I believe it was Mark who made a remark about the ugly canopy...Mark, if you are watching..you were right! This kit looks away out of proportion in the cockpit area as compared to the real thing. And I appologize for my comments .

Barney

DHC82TigerMoth021.jpg

DHC82TigerMoth022.jpg

And this is where it really looks bad. You would think that a Brit model producer could get it right

DHC82TigerMoth024.jpg