Hi all.

Just been reading up on the proposal of a new Top Gun movie and reading some statements from Tony Scott.

To be honest, as fan of the movie and having been to the real Topgun (one word, not two), I am really not sure about this.

According to the statements from Tony Scott, he doesn't want it to be a remake or a reinvention but more about unmanned US Air Force aircraft. What on earth is he thinking.

I my opinion, Top Gun was a Navy movie therefore it should be kept as a so. Now we know that at the end of Top Gun, Maverick considers being an instructor. So why not give Top Gun 2 that baseline of making the new movie. Obviously the Tomcats aren't around anymore in US Navy service so substitute them for the Super Hornet. yes I now the two don't compare thats what there is to work with. Then instead of it being about air to air combat, you find Mavericks character an instructor at the NSAWC base at Fallon and he is an instructor in the air to ground roll and you see more live actual cockpit footage (not from mockups and rear screen projection) of him and other characters. I think that is far more interesting than the potential of watching guys staring at video screens.

Thoughts please.

Andrew

So the finale of the movie will be Maverick's retirement party?

Totally agree.

So in the first half we see Maverick's character join NSAWC but like the first movie, the night carrier landing started the movie. We hows about we see Maverick bombing targets in a generic conflict and end up being shot at my ground artilery before heading to Fallon. The we see him flourish as an air to ground instructor who takes on a cockey minded youth and mellows him/her into a top Hornet ace. Second half of movie, Mavericks visits his own instructor, Viper in hospital as he is in a critical condition due to age and therefore puts Maverick in yet another emotional situation. Maverick is then chosen to be the Hornet display pilot prior to his retirement and is then presented by a lavish ceremony charting his career and is reunited with his Top Gun class of 1985 when the original movie was made (minus Goose of course).

What you recon?

Andrew

According to the statements from Tony Scott, he doesn't want it to be a remake or a reinvention but more about unmanned US Air Force aircraft. What on earth is he thinking.

That would be hilarious I hope he does it like that. It would be a movie without a protagonist, or character arch. Might be the worst movie ever at connecting with the audience, Like the star wars prequels but with a UAV acting slightly less robotic than George Lucas characters. The fact that transformers has already covered so much flying robot stuff might make it even worse. I cant wait.

Got to have a montage or two with oiled up volleyball players and the occasional locker room/ shower scene.... Wait a second, what the f@#^ were they thinking? :taunt:

I have said it before and i will say it again Top Gun did not age well. The only reason they are talking about making a sequel is brand recognition.

Got to have a montage or two with oiled up volleyball players and the occasional locker room/ shower scene.... Wait a second, what the f@#^ were they thinking? :rolleyes:

I guess in those days, male bonding/ male competitiveness/testosterone scenes didn't really have any negative connotations to them. And we wonder why we have so many mixed up emo kids? ANY form of masculinity in the media is seen as a no-no these days. I watched Top Gun as a boy and the volleyball/locker-room scenes didn't even register as anything taboo to me or my friends. All we saw were a group of cool-as-ice fighter pilots whom we wanted to emulate.

I agree that on the eighties when I started watching Top Gun, that slimmy muscle baring men playing vollyball was nothing and the idea of them doing that as a side line as fighter pilots was just boyhood dream stuff.

But yes the idea of using UAVs is nuts and as has been said "Stealth" tried that and although I have not seen that movie, I have terrible images in my head.

Top Gun as it was, should have been kept there and Tony Scott I think is just looking for that same vibe around a movie I think to make a whole heap of cash. And whats wrong with making some good money, but to bring back a movie title that was so succesful and then deviate from the original story and not continue the theme, then he has his marbles in the wrong place.

But yes the idea of using UAVs is nuts and as has been said "Stealth" tried that and although I have not seen that movie, I have terrible images in my head.

its pretty cringe; only the very best movies get 13% at rottentomatoes.com! :D

Got to have a montage or two with oiled up volleyball players and the occasional locker room/ shower scene.... Wait a second, what the f@#^ were they thinking? :D

Probably the most male-male shower scenes in a non-Xrated movie. I am sure they are extended in the director's cut

That would be hilarious I hope he does it like that. It would be a movie without a protagonist, or character arch. Might be the worst movie ever at connecting with the audience, Like the star wars prequels but with a UAV acting slightly less robotic than George Lucas characters. The fact that transformers has already covered so much flying robot stuff might make it even worse. I cant wait.

Aw, geez, didn't they cover that in Stealth?? They should leave that movie well enough alone instead of trying to cash in on a sequel.

Aw, geez, didn't they cover that in Stealth?? They should leave that movie well enough alone instead of trying to cash in on a sequel.

No they didnt, because unlike Stealth, transformers, Star Wars, or even Wally, all of the robots in movies have come kind of "personality" to them.... A freaking UAV can't thats the best part! Stealth will look like a highly developed character plot after a movie about a human controlled RC plane... you might as well have a movie about an inanimate carbon rod

Of course there will be characters around the RC aircraft and at computer consoles (think of the sexual tension there!) But in the end you will cast a bunch of teeny boppers who are popular that very moment throw them into what will be a soap opera plot (cuz there aint no acshun!) and throw in five minutes for tom cruise to say hello to the young hotshot UAV driver and you got a movie!!! Will it suck? Oh yes... hugely. but I can bet you a bunch of nostalgia fan morons will pack that theater the first week until word gets out.

They would be better off re releasing Top Gun on the big screen or IMAX or even 3D!

drone.jpg

"Volleyball will have to wait until I can get all oiled up first"

launching_a_raven_uav.png

Volley ball pays off -- Nice Serve Mav!!

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
its pretty cringe; only the very best movies get 13% at rottentomatoes.com! :D

13% favorable on Stealth is pretty generaous. That film was awful! At least I got to look at Jessical Biel for the price of admission.

IMHO, Stealth was only outdone by Battlefield Earth as one of the worst movies ever!

Edited by toadwbg
Ugly things tend not to do well on screen.

Well, I've always liked Ron Perlman.

(Ron Perlman all oiled up and playing volleyball while gazing longingly at Val Kilmer might be another matter, though.)

Cheers,

Andre

Excellent idea!

Regards,

Murph

Excellent idea!

Such a waste. Why does the USAF need commissioned officers to fly these things again?

That's why Firebirds failed! (among other things....)

LOL you mean that doesn't have the same pull with Army Aviation that it does with Navy?

a lot of folks have said, that the star of top gun is the F-14. And it works, because the F-14s looks good. You can make a movie where the "star" is based on looks (god knows there are tons of them) The looks can be so good that its all the movie is remembered for, like Top Gun with the F-14 or that movie with Bo Derrick where she has the braids, you know the one i mean. I cant think of the title but yeah Bo Derrick. Have some fun, put on top gun and fast forward past all the parts with the tomcats and you have top gun 2. Box office poison!

In conclusion, bo derrick

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

TOPGUN II should be very simple to make. First and foremost, kill the Maverick character (and I mean that literally). They should make sure that at the beginning of the movie they tell the audience that Maverick died in some sort of crash, making sure he died as a hero, saving someone or something. Then, bring back Kelly McGillis briefly (with some nice makeup on, of course) as the mom of Tom Cruise's - now grown-up - son, himself now a fighter pilot having followed in Dad's footsteps. The only references to Maverick should be that he was a legend both as an Naval Aviator and as an instructor...His son, as mentioned, now a fighter pilot himself, will go through all the ordeals trying to live up to his Dad's 'flying by the seats of his pants' reputation. Of course, they can add some spice here and there but I think I'd watch something like that as opposed to someone flying UAVs, etc.

Oh, and yes, because this will be a new character, he can definitely fly Super Hornets. :thumbsup:

Rob

According to the statements from Tony Scott, he doesn't want it to be a remake or a reinvention but more about unmanned US Air Force aircraft.
Yawn. Why not just make it about the guys that paint the lines on the taxiway?

Why the heck call it "Topgun" then, if it's not about Topgun? Call it "UAVland" or whatever.

Edited by dmk0210
TOPGUN II should be very simple to make. First and foremost, kill the Maverick character (and I mean that literally). They should make sure that at the beginning of the movie they tell the audience that Maverick died in some sort of crash, making sure he died as a hero, saving someone or something. Then, bring back Kelly McGillis briefly (with some nice makeup on, of course) as the mom of Tom Cruise's - now grown-up - son, himself now a fighter pilot having followed in Dad's footsteps. The only references to Maverick should be that he was a legend both as an Naval Aviator and as an instructor...His son, as mentioned, now a fighter pilot himself, will go through all the ordeals trying to live up to his Dad's 'flying by the seats of his pants' reputation.

Yeah thats the exact plot of the first top Gun:

"your family name aint the best in the navy"

"when you fly up there its like your flying against a ghost" (Foreshadowing)

"What I am about to tell you is classified..." -- The story of his fathers heroism

you could have at least made it his DAUGHTER, to make it slightly different.

Maybe Maverick could get shot down and his son and band of renegade nerds can steal some aircraft and free him with a combat veteran who knew him Chappie Iceman

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
Yeah thats the exact plot of the first top Gun.

Maybe Maverick could get shot down and his son and band of renegade nerds can steal some aircraft and free him with a combat veteran who knew him Chappie Iceman

Topgun's plot explained -