Cheap source for gold foil

Hey guys! I found a cheap source of gold foil that can be used as multilayer insulation (MLI). That's gold colored foil you see around satellites and the Apollo LEM for example. It's costs only a lunch. Our local Chipotle restaurants are using foil that is gold on one side and silver on the other. I haven't tried it yet, but next time I am in a Chipotle, I will ask for a few extra sheets for my stash.

I would think chocolate bar wrappers would be a great source for this - most are silver, but some are gold colored. And it gives you an excuse for buying chocolate. One thing to watch for is paper-backed foil, which is stiffer and probably won't make those nice crinkles you are looking for.

Edited by spejic

Indeed those are both good sources of foil (I've used gold foil from Rolos candies myself). You can also alter the shade of the foil by airbrushing them with clear tints. For a model of Apollo 9 LM Spider I was working on (never finished, but it should be one day) I used Tamiya clear orange over the gold foil to get a nice darker orange kapton foil shade. It shows promise anyway.

I would think chocolate bar wrappers would be a great source for this - most are silver, but some are gold colored. And it gives you an excuse for buying chocolate. One thing to watch for is paper-backed foil, which is stiffer and probably won't make those nice crinkles you are looking for.

That's what I've always used. I think the trick is not to wrinkle it too much; the real thing just had the normal wrinkles you would expect on a sheet of foil that was not stretched taut over a surface.

Deke

I'm not a spacecraft modeller, but I just saw this and had a thought.

I just happened to buy some gold wrapping paper to wrap my sons birthday present in, and looking at it, it is very metallic, extremely thin (its actually transparent when held up to a light), very flexible and it cost me £1 for a 3m x 75cm roll.

Might work?

Looks like this (not my pic)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/155/3454383...b9fffdf.jpg?v=0