F/A-18D Hornet ATARS VMFA(AW)-533

I am trying to get out my builders block that I have, which is one of the reason why I haven't I finished my VF-101 build. I have been wanting to build an ATARS bird. Of course I am using the Hasegawa "D" Hornet that I got a good buddy Craig Sargent...Thanks Man.

Hasegawa F/A-18D

Aires Exhaust

Black Box Multi-purpose set

Eduard placards

MAW Decals 48-MAW014 MAW Hornets Part 3

Wolfpack ATARS

Wolfpack AN/AAQ-28 LITENING

Wolfpack Maverick Rail

IMGP0362.jpg

IMGP0363.jpg

IMGP0365.jpg

I am using the kit tub as the bases for my pit, with Black Box Multipurpose set for the front IP and rear coaming with the Wolfpack rear IP. The Wolfpack rear coaming is too me not well detailed plus the WP IP doesn't fit right with each other.

IMGP0367.jpg

I've got all the pylons with the sway brackets already mounted to the Wolfpack pylons, are just resin copies of the Hasegawa pylons. Well I need to start laying down some paint in the pit. Look in the few days for updates, got firehouse duty tomorrow at the volly house.

Thanks

Stanton

Here is the tub about half way finished. I gotta wait till the black dries real well it is "Flouquil Grimmy Black" before I can do any drybrushing the MFD's buttons, and the edges of the cockpit. Off too airbrush the seats I think I am going to go with the Black Box seats. Here are some pics:

IMGP0371.jpg

IMGP0372.jpg

IMGP0373.jpg

IMGP0376.jpg

Here is some pics of the ATARS from Wolfpack.

IMGP0377.jpg

IMGP0378.jpg

IMGP0379.jpg

Thanks

Stanton

WOW, what a really cool kit. So this is a whole bunch of SH*T that is thrown together to make a bird huh? I like that. So what is the ATARS?? Is that some type of recon tool? I can't wait to see more of this, will follow dilligently! Thanks for showing!

Jeremy

WOW, what a really cool kit. So this is a whole bunch of SH*T that is thrown together to make a bird huh? I like that. So what is the ATARS?? Is that some type of recon tool? I can't wait to see more of this, will follow dilligently! Thanks for showing!

Jeremy

Advanced Tactical Airborne Reconnaissance System

Well guys here is some pics of the rear IP glued in but the front IP is just sitting in there with the bottom half of the fuselage just popped in there to see how it looked. Also I dry fitted the nose section on the model, and I was hoping all the rumors of the Wolfpack stuff strinking..... :soapbox::bandhead2::bandhead2: I mean it isnt that bad but when you look down the nose of the model you can see almost the whole width of the side walls of the lower fuselage. But I was able to do some fairing the ends to where it looks smooth but I've seemed to lost some of the detail on the sides. Sorry I didnt get a picture it was kind of hard. Well here is some pics of the pit dry fitted in her.

IMAG0027.jpg

IMAG0028.jpg

Hopefully I can get some more work done tonight before I have firehouse duty at my vollie house in Falmouth.

Thanks

Stanton

Thanks Guys for all the comments... :blink: I have pics of the aftermath of the nose attached too the Hasegawa airframe. Production is going to stop for a few days since tomorrow is the firehouse and thursday I am going to celebrate my Irish heritage, friday I will be at her since I know I will not be hungover from the Irish Festivies.. :D

The fix isnt that bad I think in my mind but for some people it maybe the end of the world...(plz dont take the wrong if I affend anyone). If just took some careful sanding with different grits of sandpaper to get the same contour of the jet. Grant it you lose some lines but I have a Hasegawa Hornets sitting around to where I can look at them to see where the ECM blisters go. Anyway here are some pictures for you guys.

IMAG0030.jpg

IMAG0029.jpg

IMAG0032.jpg

IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0029.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

IMAG0034.jpg

Thanks for looking Guys

Stanton

Hey Guys, here is some update on the ATARS bird I am working on, I started to add some of the Eduard to the wheel wells, just add little more detail to the wells.

Main Gear Wells

IMAG0046-1.jpg

IMAG0047.jpg

Nose Gear Well

IMAG0044-1.jpg

IMAG0045-1.jpg

Also you can see on the pictures of the I have installed the Dual C/F buckets they could be little more contour to the shape of the intake trunks, but what can you say for Wolfpack.

Next I started to work on the Aires Exhaust tubes, burners, and compressor. I sprayed the insides with Burnt Umber and Raw Umber on the compressor(just a hint on the compressor). But for some reason I sprayed the turkey feathers with Burnt Umber when it should of been Raw Umber...:headslapbig: just got to repaint no big deal. Also I dry fitted the one of the exhaust tubes/feathers on her and from my two eyes they fit very nice...:bounceygrinbig:.

IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0039.jpg

IMAG0042-1.jpg

IMAG0043.jpg

Well back to the paint barn, and some more subassembly to do. May or may not update today, but stay tune for more.

Thanks

Stanton

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys here is some photos of the painting I have done for her. I preshaded her with Grimmy Black in all the panel lines and wheel wells. Also I masked the wells and of the gears and the inflight refueling bay. I went ahead an dry fitted the exhaust in the rear of the bird. Also I painted the white areas on the 4 and 6 check stations of the hornet. Well I am off to work on some painting in the paint barn.

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

IMAG0067.jpg

IMAG0068-1.jpg

Time to paint the legs, clear coat it and let them dry for the stencils in the morning.

Thanks

Stanton

Looking good Stanton. The WP nose does not look all that bad to me. Even the Hasegawa nose itself is too skinny, and the MAW noses I used were about the same as those. Truthfully, that is one of the reasons I don't build Hasegawa Hornets...I can't for the life of me get the noses to fit without ruining everything around them.

Aaron

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys here is a little update of her so far. I have all but the slime lights on her plus the seats need to be worked on. Also all the pitot tubes and VHF antennas an Nav lights need to be added, then she will be done. Hopefully it will be tomorrow..maybe. Here is some pics of her:

IMAG0148.jpg

IMAG0145.jpg

IMAG0146.jpg

IMAG0147.jpg

and yes I just notice the fuel tank is not sitting right on the pylon.

Thanks

Stanton

Well guys I think this will be the last update as an "in progress" photos since I all I need to do is the nav lights, seats, tail hook, pitot tubes, and canopy. When I do another Hornet with the Wolfpack Shrinkage I will close the inflight refueling probe area, One reason is that area is lack of detail, Two the instructions are too vaig on how the probe/door sits on there. I gotta say the Hornet pylons are off the chart, they are basically resin copies of the Hase Hornet ones as one piece.

Here is some pics from outside as it is beauitful day.

DSC_0573.jpg

DSC_0574.jpg

DSC_0575.jpg

DSC_0581.jpg

Thanks Guys

Stanton