Cocaine Found At Kennedy Space Center

And you wondered why our space program was stalled:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/nasa...Z2BnreakOXVff4K

No I never wondered, it lack of funds. pretty simple actually. No buck, no buck rogers

Despite it, NASA is still WINNING. Im a Sarturn V, bro I will discharge my stages in the air and deploy my LEM to the moon.

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

They were using the shuttle for smuggling ...

Russia brings 'goods' up and we bring 'goods' back down ...

Gregg (Joking, people ...)

Edited by GreyGhost

I don't like what you are insinuating dude. I don't like it one bit.

Problems with Discovery's last mission being a few months late were NOT due to a worker high on drugs. The reason why the stringers on the ET cracked is they were made of a slightly different alloy than previous batches. In some ways it was stronger, but it was stiffer and more prone to cracking. It took a lot of detective work to find it. It wasn't a problem once it was fixed.

While we might stick space hardware workers on some invisible pedestal as being better than the rest of us, they are people too. In fact, the guys that tend to work on the ground floor with the vehicles, unless they are engineers, managers or computer technicians tend to be blue collar and some technicians only have a high school education. Many of them are in a bind right now as they wonder what will happen to them after STS-135 as there are very few job offers out there. Look at where they work and except for the fact that the vehicle is going to fly in space, it looks about like any other machine shop or aviation hangar (the clean room conditions are for the interior of the orbiter, not the exterior). How many other blue collar work spaces have had similar drug problems from a tiny percentage of the workforce (be it aircraft repair, ship building, car building or construction)?

Drug use and space hardware is nothing new. I read a book where the author (who worked at NASA at the time in the 1980s) was in California to look over Atlantis while it was still under construction at Rockwell and discovered a part of the wing wasn't made right. Turns out a worker had sabotaged the work, apparently so it would have to be fixed and he (or she, they never found out who) would be employed for another week or two. This is because at the time, Atlantis was to be the last orbiter built and many of the workers would be getting their pink slips after that. There were rumors of drug use being a contributor as testing wasn't being done yet (this was still the early 80s and random drug testing had only just started) and it makes sense when you think about it as if somebody has to get their fix, they will do bad things to make sure the money keeps flowing.

But at the same time, the vast majority of space workers are drug free and there are enough checks, balances and inspections to make sure the work is good. The shuttle doesn't fly until after these checks are signed off on. As such, the vehicle is as safe as it can be. Drugs sure as hell are NOT the reason for the program delays.

NASA? You'd really single out NASA amidst the widespread stalemate in anti-drug enforcement? You're kidding, right? Welcome to the United States of America. You could find more searching the lockers at most of our elite, well-to-do suburban high schools.

Of course, there, local governments keep it under wraps to protect property values.

Edited by Fishwelding

If you ask me if one wanted to look for any signs of drug use being the reason for the space program being stalled they should investigate those that keep cutting it's funding and blurring it's focus for possible drug use.

I'd say for what their job is and how much danger is actually envolved in their undertaking, the space program has a REMARKABLE safety record and a high degree of success. I'm sure there are those that have drug /drinking problems but I wouldn't say THAT is what is staggering the program.

Also, this was in the New York Post??? not much more needs to be said about that now is there?

Bill

NASA? You'd really single out NASA amidst the widespread stalemate in anti-drug enforcement? You're kidding, right? Welcome to the United States of America. You could find more searching the lockers at most of our elite, well-to-do suburban high schools.

I know. It could have a been a janitor too, or some plumber brought in to fix the toilets. god knows the government drug tests CONSTANTLY. speaking of which I bet the employees there get to "fill the cup" about every other week for the next half year now. YAY!! Drugs have become so common place, that cocaine or heroine are the only ones that even surprise us anymore. As the baby boomers get older you are going to have more people on drugs: prescription, over the counter and illegal "self medicating" drug than not. In other words "drug free" people will be a nearly microscopic group in the next few years. You have no idea how many folks are on some kind of meds until you start working near a medical field even a basic physical form can open up a flood of medications all being used to help a single person. its truly mind boggling. Try finding anyone over the age of about 50 who isn't using at least one drug daily. I bet its fewer than 1 in 20. And I am not even talking about alcoholism in all this which is even worse.

Im not advocating legalization or anything all I am saying is that this is like reporting on a single drop of water in the Mississippi river. For some reason NASA was supposed to be our incorruptible sacred cow i guess. Right now working at NASA is probably like working at the IRS. Lots of papers are shifting around so thats a kind of progress...

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Not to put NASA on a pedestal or drop them in a dung heap...., but after the tragedies with the shuttle programs, I'm of a mind that NASA isn't leaving anything to chance and are making sure as much as possible that they are eliminating any and all risks that may contribute to that happening again and any personnel doing drugs would be a major risk. Though shuttle launches have become commonplace, each time one goes up the spotlight and microscope go into action. From launch to recovery many scrutinizing eyes are on them. I've not seen anything published, but I'd bet the farm that anyone employed by NASA found using drugs, would suffer a Zero-tolerance evaluation. If it's proved the used illicit drugs; their career would come to an abrupt end; be they janitor or flight director.

if you were watching how james may was driving that lunar rover on top gear you might just wonder... :worship:

Think about it, he's been in Miami...

episodearchive_090301.jpg

We've seen his drive-by skills...

article-1340596-0C8EB1BC000005DC-804_634x336.jpg

It was his coke they found!

tumblr_lh74600nGs1qhwycho1_400.jpg

Edited by Trigger
I know. It could have a been a janitor too, or some plumber brought in to fix the toilets. god knows the government drug tests CONSTANTLY.

Exactly, too big of a deal is being made out of this....it's not like they found it in the shuttle after a return flight or something.....

I worked at a gov research facility almost 20 years ago as an intern. They turned up cocaine in one of the restrooms, huge deal was made of it on base....turned out one of the janitors hid his stash, and it was discovered by an employee before he could recover it.

I'd guess that a fairly high percentage of workplaces have some drugs or at least something illicit hidden in them somewhere, its just that most work places aren't checked as regularly or as intensively.

Chances are that in the factory that built my van, someone had a stash in their locker, but what are the chances of a locker in a van factory ever being dusted down for drugs? Probably zip.

Fact is, probably 10% of people have a regular drug habit, maybe recreational, just at weekends, its a broad spectrum, I'd lay odds on someone reading this thread who has had a joint or a sniff of coke in the last month.

As a 23 year Air Force SNCO, I get a little insulted when I have to pee in a cup. I swore an oath, know the regs, know the consequences so why on earth would I do drugs. Yet every month they find some moron who does exactly that. From Airman Basic to upper officer corps. (although not as much above O-6 but not immune either) So I continue to pee in a bottle for random drug testing. NASA is no different. The guys I knew when stationed at Edwards were a bunch of good guys that I still consider close friends all these years later and they do care and do a good job day after day. Some moron had to freak it all up with cocaine. The most amazing part of those drug users are how many times does drug use actually make things better for their lives and family? (OK, maybe Keith Richards but that is it!) I have no time for losers. decisions are made and prices are paid for those decisions on every level. Self responsibility is the only excuse I will accept. I could go on about this subject but am starting to hijack the thread. Now back to my 1/48 scale Modelcraft P-82E....I could sure use something to calm me down. I know, another cup of coffee!

I didn't read all the post in the thread, but come on. 20, 30,000 workers at the Cape, you tell me. Somebody had some blow. Guess what, somebody had some weed. Hey, got another one, somebody had a pint in their locker, that he hits a couple time a day. Here's another one, somebody had a couple beers at lunch, maybe in his car. Happens at your job too dude. People are human. Happens on Wall Street, at banks, at schools, all of our State Houses, Washington, and Military bases. It's the way it is. Name a business that people are not marched to the door or the gate for **** like that? Gee, it'd never happen in a car plant, or an aircraft assembly plant, no way. Yeah right. Very small % of idiots that do it, but they're there.

Chuck

Edited by otis252
sniff of coke in the last month.

How can people do that? I tried it and the bubbles made me sneeze, even diet coke was bad, but straight coke has far to much sugar in it for me and still suffered from being to fizzy..... :D

Some moron had to freak it all up with cocaine. The most amazing part of those drug users are how many times does drug use actually make things better for their lives and family?

Hmm, the thing is, if the same guy had been caught with 15 bottles of vodka in his locker, would you have the same degree of vitriol in relation to it?

I personally don't think illegal drugs are a lot worse than legal ones.

A guy goes home after a hard day, chugs an 8 pack, yells at his wife, goes to the pub, has a fight, stumbles home, throws up on the carpet.

He's a good guy.

Another guy goes home after a hard day, rolls a joint, eats a bag of crisps (chips?), and talks nonsense for a bit before falling asleep on the couch.

He's a bad guy.

??