Started a new build.... While I was working on the Voodoo

Voodoo is still on but not as fast as I would like, I`m still rescribing...

No Pics yet as I was at the bench all day and my Mojo was flowing. Started my Esci/Revell/Italeri 1/72nd CF-116D and I'm really ahead.... the only aftermarket I will use is the Leading Edge Aluminum Finish sheet. I've got all the Fuel tanks prepped fuselage has been assembled Cockpit installed but not painted, all the seams have been sanded just need to prep it for paint.

I kinda got the inspiration after talking to a good friend about the CF-5 and how the was just really awesome looking birds and how he enjoyed flying them.

Now my options for markings are AETE/Cold Lake/434/and 419. I'm kinda into deciding between the Cold Lake Markings or AETE. Unfortunately I don't have any marking for 433 which would have been a contender.

As for load it will have the tip tanks and three other fuel tanks CL and inboard wing stations this will leave the outer stations for something else which I'm not sure about. Suggestions welcome.

I'm back to work for 4 starting tomorrow.....then maybe some more bench time next week, Not looking forward to the March break dash home....... one of the busiest times at YYZ.

I'll try to get some shots next week as to how far I got so far.... till then.

:worship:

Emil

Edited by Emvar
As for load it will have the tip tanks and three other fuel tanks CL and inboard wing stations this will leave the outer stations for something else which I'm not sure about. Suggestions welcome.

:thumbsup:

Emil

This is from the "other" CF116 thread ;

QUOTE (ALF18 @ Jan 7 2011, 06:48 PM)

Duals carried quite a range of external stores. Here are some ideas:

Air to air combat training:

- Wingtip missile rails (not tip tanks) with a single AIM-9M CATM (blue missile body, active green seeker head forebody).

- Centreline fuel tank, nothing under the wings

Practice bombing (academic range):

- Wingtip tanks

- Station 85 (inboard under wing) fuel tanks

- SUU practice bomb dispenser on the centreline (upside down tub with 6 blue practice bombs, white dispenser)

- One 4 or 6-tube rocket 2.75" rocket dispenser carried on one outboard wing station

Heavy weapons drop (live or inert bombs):

- Wingtip fuel tanks

- Station 85 fuel tanks

- One Mk 82 500 lb bomb on each outboard wing station

Cross country and conversion training:

- Centreline fuel tank

- Wingtip fuel tanks

Emil

Looking forward to seeing how this kit gets built properly... It will set the bar for my own attempt!

If I were you, I wouldn't install 3 big fuel tanks (centreline and underwing station 85s) - I've never seen the CF-5 with that load. If centreline fuel tank is installed, then underwing tanks weren't, and vice versa.

Sorry I don't have any 433 decals for you. In the natural metal scheme, I don't remember if the squadron markings for 433 were painted on the intakes or not. 419 had the blue moose tail flash, and AETE the big X on the tail, but 433? Maybe...

So where are the pics? Your fans are waiting...

ALF

433 tended to have the markings on the intake, port side only. Sometimes on the nose but I think that was only for two seaters. Elmo, couple weeks ago I noticed AV world still had a copy of the 433 squadron book. That might hold your answers.

Uhhhhh yes.... the kit well uhhhh.... I'm having a couple of beers.

Dan, I think I'll keep the station 85s off I'll attach CL tank as it is a dual I'll also have wing tip tanks. Pics tomorrow.

The kit is pretty much Shake and bake...... with minor stuff to be fixed. I also have a single you might want...... I'll post it this week..... Tell Francine that Charlene is happy that I'm getting rid of some Airplane toys... :lol:

Shawn, Doh....... I've got the book.

:thumbsup:

Emil

Here it is so far....

2180548080034470781S500x500Q85.jpg

2184434910034470781S500x500Q85.jpg

2019581510034470781S500x500Q85.jpg

2211078530034470781S500x500Q85.jpg

2556644710034470781S500x500Q85.jpg

2051682310034470781S500x500Q85.jpg

I've added my previous build next to it...... right now I am sanding it all smooth for the Aluminum finish it will have. Looks like I'll have to seal those notches for the under wing stores as this will have only a CL tank. I have also found a 433 crest for the nose.

;)

Emil

• 4 weeks later...

Emil,

I'm no expert but I have some photos of the CF-5 from the Canada Aviation Museum with a couple of indirect shots of the inside of the canopy and it's grey. Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you the photos.

Play safely.

Mike

I know the Cockpit is Light grey, but was the inside of the Canopy grey or Black?

Anyone know?

Working on the kit this weekend.

:cheers:

Emil

My pics from the flightline in MJ, show the actuating mechanism in black, and only the horizontal framing and canopy bow interior; grey(if that makes any sense)

PM me your Email and I can send pics.

Tony