At work, I'm just about to start painting a 1/5 scale Beechcraft C-45 in the Navy two tone blue and white scheme, and while looking at the pictures I'm working from, I wondered if there's any aeroplane that scheme doesn't suit. It then only took a few seconds to wonder what a Fort would look like painted like that.

Here's the result. Has anyone done this before, I really like it!

navy_b17.jpg

The Navy thinks everything looks good in blue.

In your case, Stephen, I agree, with you.

Wonder WHAT, they would have called it- certanly not a B-17.

So, PB17B ???? (per the 1922 United States Navy aircraft designation system-used during WWII) = Patrol Bomber 17 Boeing HUMMMM file033.jpg

The navy did use them, as stephen said they were PB-1's. I've got pics in a book or two that show them in either NMF or overall sea blue, usually they have a radome either on top of the turtle deck or haning below the bomb bay. And if I remember right paraon has a conversion kit for the PB-1W.

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&sug...131&bih=640

I was chatting with a friend the other day about what planes might not suit this colour scheme. He suggested the Lancaster, but think even the Lanc would look good in blue, blue and white. Anyone want to do a photoshop job on a Lanc 3-view?

I would love to see the scheme done on a model. If you do, be sure to post some pictures.

Who's got a 144th 17 they're willing to part with.

That combined with some 144th Navy WWII decals and you could have a winner.

• 2 months later...

The Beechcraft that the Navy B-17 drawing was inspired by, is almost finished, so I thought I'd share a few pictures. I REALLY do like this scheme.

If that's R/C, what did you do for gear door mechanism? That's where my Top Flite Corsair build is stuck.

Ken

these guys are out of their mind running engines on a partly scavenged bird!!

Huh?

Considering that they took Texas Raiders completely apart in it's 7+ year overhaul, I don't blame them for wanting to run up the engines before it was fully assembled.

All that's missing are some access panels, three of the four cowlings, the outer wing panels, and the chin turret, none of which stand in the way of running her up.

BTW she's all back together now: http://www.gulfcoastwing.org/

:cheers:

Edited by rcaf_100

Huh?

Considering that they took Texas Raiders completely apart in it's 7+ year overhaul, I don't blame them for wanting to run up the engines before it was fully assembled.

All that's missing are some access panels, three of the four cowlings, the outer wing panels, and the chin turret, none of which stand in the way of running her up.

BTW she's all back together now: http://www.gulfcoastwing.org/

:cheers:

Well its kinda missing the wings !! isent the fuel stored into the wings ?