I've been told that it's out of stock pretty much everywhere. That Ambroid is either not producing it, or only producing a very small amount.

Does anyone have a clue as to when there will be regular stocks back on the market?

PH

I've been told that it's out of stock pretty much everywhere. That Ambroid is either not producing it, or only producing a very small amount.

Does anyone have a clue as to when there will be regular stocks back on the market?

PH

Checkout www.SprueBrothers.com they had 50 bottles in stock.

I was in Cherry Hill N.J. this past weekend and stopped in at D & K Hobbies, http://www.dkhobbys.com/, in the Barclay Shopping Center. they had a stock of Ambroid Pro and picked up three bottles. the owner said she just got them in. she also said she had a hard time getting this product.

HTH

Edited by gharlane

If it is available up there, go to Wal-Mart, Meijer's, TSC, any auto parts store, etc. Check and see if they have a quart (or gallon) of Methyl Ethyl Ketone (M.E.K.). That is the main ingredient in most of the liquid cements like Ambroid ProWeld, Tenax, Tamiya Thin, etc. I bought a quart a while back. I can see that it will last me a very long time. I have an old bottle Tenax bottle. I fill the Tenax bottle with the M.E.K., and use it out of the smaller bottle instead of a quart can. Just make sure that the lid(s) are on tight, or it will evaporate before you can say "Methyl Ethyl Ketone!" Good Luck!!

M.E.K. has a low flash point hence it fast evaporation rate, if you're handling it in quantity it might be a good idea to wear rubber gloves, goggles and a respirator. I used to have to handle it in quantity in the Navy. It, like acetone, builds up in your system in time and can have very adverse effects on your health. Prolonged exposure can cause headaches, dizziness blurred vision and fainting. This is serious HAZMAT guys, and not to be taken lightly.

M.E.K. has a low flash point hence it fast evaporation rate, if you're handling it in quantity it might be a good idea to wear rubber gloves, goggles and a respirator. I used to have to handle it in quantity in the Navy. It, like acetone, builds up in your system in time and can have very adverse effects on your health. Prolonged exposure can cause headaches, dizziness blurred vision and fainting. This is serious HAZMAT guys, and not to be taken lightly.

//pedantic mode:: ON

Not exactly the correct terminology. Flash point doesn't mean evaporates fast. What you should say is "high vapor pressure". A non-flammable liquid could also have a high vapor pressure (example: trichloroethane - a freon solvent) and a low flash-point substance could have a low vapor pressure (JP4 has a low flash point but not a very high vapor pressure).

//pedantic mode:: OFF

Edited by Grey Ghost 531

Just trying to convey that M.E.K. is bad Ju-Ju. It's flammable, evaporates really fast, and it is really bad for you. Most of us who use it, do so in very small quantities. However, handling it in larger quantities can be both problematic and dangerous if not done properly. Truth be told this stuff should be kept in a Flam cabinet.

Just trying to convey that M.E.K. is bad Ju-Ju. It's flammable, evaporates really fast, and it is really bad for you. Most of us who use it, do so in very small quantities. However, handling it in larger quantities can be both problematic and dangerous if not done properly. Truth be told this stuff should be kept in a Flam cabinet.

I agree with you there, once back in the day... the shop chief sent a bunch of us out into the hanger with rags and a can of MEK to clean paint spots off the hanger floor. They had to send us all back to the barracks after about a half hour. It probably explains my current mental state.

I'm just too uptight about word usage.

From what I hear, the manufacturer makes a batch to last "a while" when it suits.

Flex-I-File, who are now owned by Alpha Abrasives & make the "Touch-N-Flow" used to recommend Ambroid, but now produce there own adhesive called Plast-I-Weld, which to all intents & purposes is the same as Ambroid Pro Weld. Another alternative is Micro Marks "Same Stuff", although I don't know how it compares to Pro Weld.