For the non-perfectionists

For the non-perfectionists I offer up the following; I don't like to mix paint.

There are dozens of shades of any colour you want, right off the shelf. Green? You want green? Let's see, we'll just look at Model Master m'kay? There's...

Field Drab

Dark Green

Olive Green

Field Green

Medium Green

Forest Green

Interior Green

RAF Interior Green

Pale Green

Green Zinc Chromate

European Green

Medium Field Green (which I'm guessing is Field green & Medium green mixed together?... just kidding)

Green Drab

SAC Bomber Green

Olive Drab Green

British Green Metallic

Sublime Green

Chrysler Citrus Yellow (which is Green)

Sublime Green Dodge

Daytona Yellow (Which I would argue is also green)

Green Go Dodge

Grabber Green Ford

Emerald Green Metallic Chevy (which doesn't count 'cause it's really blue)

Fathom Green Metallic Chevy

Artiesian Turquoise metallic Chevy

Diamond Green Ford

Lime Pearl

Dark Green Pearl

Bright Green Pearl

I'm sure I missed a few... and this is just one manufacturer!

Of course I don't expect anyone to stock all the colours, I'm just saying that colour is SUCH a subjective item dependent on sooooo many factors that I personally believe if you're going to agonize over something, your focus as a modeler is better spent elsewhere.

If the kit calls for a green you have to mix, there is a green so close I defy anyone to tell the difference. Not only that, by the time I weather, chip, and dirty-up the thing the shade is somewhat moot. Add in the old arguments of sunlight, defused light, carbon light, sodium light, florescent light, incandescent and candle light and well, any colour is right!

I believe I have garnered a reputation as a pretty good model builder, and let me tell you this, honestly; I always do or add something wrong on every kit I build. Unless it is for your own personal satisfaction (which I truly admire and respect), don't get caught up in the colour thing. Just have fun building and move on. No one will notice you used the wrong shade of interior green.

Edited by Miccara

As a color-blind modeler, I salute you. My painting is largely "color-by-number" because I can't mix paints and as long as it passes the "Does it look ok?" test with family members I'm comfortable with the results.

I do mix paints frequently, and yet agree with you entirely: at some point, color is subjective, and not worth fretting over. I freely use Polly Scale railroad colors and Tamiya's range, mixing as I need to for projects, despite their "big" drawback, that they are not organized into U.S. Federal Standard colors. (With a little mixed in from other colors, Polly Scale's Great Northern/Empire Builder Green is an awesome basis for various military drabs). The "looks good to me" principle is my only rule.

I'll have to see if I can find the pics of it again, but I shot a pic of a diorama of some Iraq armor a guy did several years ago (Gulf Storm era) that the whole thing was painted to look like it was being viewed through night vision goggles. It was one of the coolest and yet totally wrong colorwise dioramas I'd ever seen. I've always thought about trying to reproduce that but I wasn't sure which shade of green he used... :sunrevolves:

Bill

I'll have to see if I can find the pics of it again, but I shot a pic of a diorama of some Iraq armor a guy did several years ago (Gulf Storm era) that the whole thing was painted to look like it was being viewed through night vision goggles. It was one of the coolest and yet totally wrong colorwise dioramas I'd ever seen. I've always thought about trying to reproduce that but I wasn't sure which shade of green he used... :sunrevolves:

Bill

Obviously "Night Vision Green". I'm sure someone makes it! (If not, I bet some paint guy is reading this post and writing down in his notebook... "New idea for a green colour, re-brand Lime Green as Night Vision Green" Sales will double!)

Larry, I fixed your last line to read:

No one whose opinion matters in the slightest (except you, the builder) will notice you used the wrong shade of interior green. :lol:

Cheers, Mitch

:cheers:

HEY! WHERE IS DUCK EGG GREEN? We can't exist without Duck Egg Green! C'mon people! :cheers: Not to mention Metallic Blue Green! *SHOCK* *HORROR* Without that colour, we can't complete our F-15 cockpit!!! :lol: :lol:

I'll have to see if I can find the pics of it again, but I shot a pic of a diorama of some Iraq armor a guy did several years ago (Gulf Storm era) that the whole thing was painted to look like it was being viewed through night vision goggles. It was one of the coolest and yet totally wrong colorwise dioramas I'd ever seen. I've always thought about trying to reproduce that but I wasn't sure which shade of green he used... :)

Bill

Does anyone have a picture of this? It sounds amazing

Does anyone have a picture of this? It sounds amazing

Unfortunately I lost just about all of my old 35mm photographs when our house flooded so I seriously doubt I still have a shot of it. I'll see if I can contact some friends that where at the contest to see if they have any. I BELEIVE it was in early '91 and I think the show was in Dallas? Perhaps one of our Dallas members might recall? It was pretty well done and caught a lot of attention since at that time there were so many news shots of bomb drops and IR footage of the war it was very fresh in people minds.

Bill

first I better say "everyone should build his own way, to please himself first",,,,,just so it's said beforehand

but, one thing has sort of puzzled me about any of these "accurate vs fun" deals

don't people need to know some of the "accurate" before they can go and deviate to "do it their own way"?

even if you decide to just do your Tomcat in "just any grays laying around",,,,,don't you need to know that they were grays in the first place?

I fully understand that the "color police" shouldn't come around and pick apart your finished model,,,,,but, I don't understand why there is a perceived resistance to the "correct colors" people talking to each other

I've always given color answers based on 1/1 scale colors, knowing that anyone is free to use or not use the info, hit it with some scale effect or weather it until you can't tell the colors anymore, etc

any article that is aimed at accuracy does NOT have a negative impact on a modeler,,,,no matter what style he uses,,,,,,,,,,but, if those articles stop, that would impact the guys that do want accuracy

I'm probably not saying this right

Rex

No, I think you've said it just right. There are those that care about accuracy in all aspects including color and there are those that don't. As long as neither side of that spectrum snub their noses at the other and criticize them for "not caring" or "caring too much" then the whole world can keep spinning in happiness. It all goes back to build it how you want to build it. That should include if you want to paint it purple with pink polkadots OR if you want to research the heck out of it and bring color swatches down to the military paint depot and run scientific color analysis on the paint before you decide it's right, it's all ok. Nobody is injured when a Corsair is painted fusia and nobody will be harmed if it's painted to mil spec. BUT having said that, there IS a correct color for a specific subject (relative to time) regardless if the modeler chooses to search for it or not. While the photographs of the subject will vary and even the appearance will vary depending on lighting, there is a "correct" color of that subject.

Bill

funny you mention Corsair

I've used that model as my attempts to explain the difference in "how I look at models" and "what I like to build" ever since I stood and stared at a Magenta/Maroon Corsair up on the second floor at Columbus

Anne asked why I was spending so much time looking at the "fantasy models",,,she said something to the effect of "I thought you didn't like the fake ones?",,,,,,I told her "no, I don't like to build them, but, I can look at a good model all day no matter if it's a Whiff or not"

My only real opinion is that we need the baseline info,,,,,no matter what each person does with the info,,,,use it, critique it towards "better", or jump off into "Luft 47" with it

otherwise, we end up will all the sites being Silly Week for 52 weeks of the year

I'd like to see a "grays" article like the "greens" one, myself

Rex

edit: I think I've got the bottom line I'm after,,,,,,,,,,seeing articles on Magenta Corsairs doesn't have a negative affect on any modelers at all,,,,,,,but, having them replace the color discussions as being "non PC",,,,,,would affect a bunch of modelers

Edited by Rex

I stopped obsessing about colors when I fell in love with Tamiya paint and realized they don't have off-the-shelf colors to satisfy my needs. Now I really enjoy the mixing process and creating the "right" color.

first I better say "everyone should build his own way, to please himself first",,,,,just so it's said beforehand

but, one thing has sort of puzzled me about any of these "accurate vs fun" deals

don't people need to know some of the "accurate" before they can go and deviate to "do it their own way"?

even if you decide to just do your Tomcat in "just any grays laying around",,,,,don't you need to know that they were grays in the first place?

I fully understand that the "color police" shouldn't come around and pick apart your finished model,,,,,but, I don't understand why there is a perceived resistance to the "correct colors" people talking to each other

I've always given color answers based on 1/1 scale colors, knowing that anyone is free to use or not use the info, hit it with some scale effect or weather it until you can't tell the colors anymore, etc

any article that is aimed at accuracy does NOT have a negative impact on a modeler,,,,no matter what style he uses,,,,,,,,,,but, if those articles stop, that would impact the guys that do want accuracy

I'm probably not saying this right

Rex

I think you're absolutely right! It's like what I used to say when I was in a band (in my younger days), first learn to play the song correctly, then play it anyway you like. I just came across the article yesterday... http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/tnt1...-Rapasi/00.shtm and although I truly do admire the man and his quest to get things right, I had to admit that I rolled my eyes while reading all three of his articles. I feel bad that I did, but I just can't help but think that other than personal satisfaction, there is no practical reason to go through this kind of detail for a paint colour. It is a too imprecise science subject to too many variables.

...but I do admire the effort.

just to be honest, I did get a laugh out of your Green post

on the other hand,,,,I have gone to extremes to get a color pallet that looks good to my eye for my own models,,,,,,I have the hundreds of bottles of paint to show for it, too,,,,,,,with more on the way

David is taking it farther than I want to go here on my bench,,,,,,,I use "good matches" for 1/1 colors,,,,,but, his effort should help out the Scale Effect and then Weather guys, I'd think,,,,,,,,,and I'm the first to admit that most guys would laugh at my paint searches, also

oh,,,,and everyone knows that "medium field green" is the correct color for alfalfa in patches of between 15 and 25 acres,,,,,field green is for the "normal" sized 40 acres and above,,,,,,,,although, 3 times a year in Wis,,,,your medium field green needs to have some purple flecks in it, though, to be completely accurate

true, but Citadel makes a nice Vomit Brown...perhaps you could just remove or add a few chunks and end up with the perfect Puke Green. ;)

Bill

Doesn't Vomit Brown work well for the radar bag over the RIO's station in an F-14?

Edited by The_Animal