OH-58D Kiowa Warrior. 1/35 scale MRC Kit

Ok.... i have to improve my skills....what i do cant be named scale modeling.... :crying2:

All the best

Shep

Hey Shep, are you kidding me? "...what i do cant be named scale modeling..." :taunt:

Your Mi-4 is an absolute stunner! And how about your Kamov? That tiny brilliant gem? :coolio:

As for improving skills, well we all are to do that. We all live and learn. So do I. ;)

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander

Your work is really, really inspiring...

I have one of these on the shelf and I think certainly have to put him on the bench soon...

Cheers

Shep

Hi Shep,

Thanks for cheering me up. No time for building, though.

Wish you luck when you're up to your Kiowa build.

Eager to see your starting her. :)

Alexander

Here's the link Alexander. There will be another Kiowa on display at the JBLM Air Expo next month, so if you can't find a certain pic, or need better ones, let me know specifically what you want/need, and I'll get it for you then. The weather will be clearer then, so the pics will be brighter and better composed.

Aaron

That KW is in desperate need of re-painting. I think that is the worst looking OH-58D I've ever seen but it serves as a great example of how these helo's weather. I hope it's ok if I re-post a couple of your great pictures to illustrate. If this is a problem, just let me know and I'll delete them.

IMG_6990.jpg

IMG_6973.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

That KW is in desperate need of re-painting. I think that is the worst looking OH-58D I've ever seen but it serves as a great example of how these helo's weather. I hope it's ok if I re-post a couple of your great pictures to illustrate. If this is a problem, just let me know and I'll delete them.

IMG_6990.jpg

IMG_6973.jpg

The funny thing about these photos is: if you were to paint an exact replica of this Kiowa and enter it in a model show people would not think it looks realistic.

Oliver

Hi guys,

Just thinking is there going to be an update soon on this build as I'm fixing up my 1/72 Kiowa at the same time as this.

Brian

Hi Brian,

No soon updates promising, sorry. My Kiowa build took a back seat for my home improvements that I got stuck into up to my top.

So my Kiowa is collecting dust...till I get back to her. Some day... But Got only knows when.

Alexander

Hi Brian,

No soon updates promising, sorry. My Kiowa build took a back seat for my home improvements that I got stuck into up to my top.

So my Kiowa is collecting dust...till I get back to her. Some day... But Got only knows when.

Alexander

Thanks Alexander for replying. I'm enjoying this build as I said trying to build my 1/72. Hope you can't get back to her soon as she is a thing of beauty to watch.

Hey there! So how do I go about purchasing the detail sets for the Kiowa? I saw the MMS, but what about the other stuff? Is that available already?? I posted over to the Zactomodels forum as well, I figure casting a couple rods in different directions will get a quicker response! And a bump of course!! ;)

Can anyone tell me what type of antenna is this round 3d antenna that modern Army birds have? satcomm or something?

Yes, it is the SATCOM. I've seen them installed on just about everything now. Kiowas, Apaches, Blackhawks...Even USCG Jayhawks. I've got some more ref pics that may help, but I've taken more than 2500 pics since the last batch, so it may take me a while to edit them.

Aaron

Nope. No problem at all. That is what they are there for...To help everyone out. If anyone does enter a KW into a contest, feel free to use them as proof that Army helos really DO get dirty and end up looking like Navy airplanes. ;) I've got a couple of Chinook pics taken last year that show more touch-ups than original paint on them. These were quite a contrast to the Blackhawk they had at the American Heroes airshow they had a Boeing Field two weeks ago. It had JUST come out of the paint barn and looked brand-spanking new.

Aaron

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just caught up to your last build update,Alexander.

It is coming along fine.Good work...neat... :clap2: :clap2:

Happy remodeling your new home.

Have you gotten a HUGE airbrush for all that painting.... :tease:

Hi HOLMES,

Thank you for keeping my thread afloat. :)

A huge airbrush?? :whistle: No, I prefer a paint roller.

Still a wonderful build!

A procrastinated one.

Cheers!

Alexander

• 1 year later...

Hello guys,

This thread is still alive and here I go again after my more than two years break.

I have been much busy with my home remodeling (kinda 1:1 scale modeling :)/>/> )

Haven't finished with my home project yet but managed to come back to my bench again. Sorta a short respite.

In spite of so long break I seem to never lost my dexterity at plastic modeling so far. :)/>/>

So just a small update.

The harness was finally introduced to the pilots' seats and now they are seem to be completed.

Yet the cockpit now is equipped with the cyclics.

This is how the cockpit looks for now.

51947-634c6-77052701-m750x740-ueb03d.jpg

51947-ef462-77052700-m750x740-u18cea.jpg

I hope to show more before late...but God only knows when. :)/>/>

Alexander

Alex, wow, your kiowa is building pretty nice, the pit is looking like the real deal. Congratulations, cant wait to see it done.

BTW, what happened with the zactomodel conversion??

Greetings.

Rod.

Hi Rod. Nice to hear from you.

Thanks for the comment.

As for the Zactoman's conversion,as far as I'm aware, it's underway. Chris is about to complete the instruction sheet.

All the parts have been test resin cast and looked pretty good.

BTW, those cyclics and the central part of the harness (I mean the roundel, don't know how you call it)are what Chris resin cast.

I hope he will finish the Kiowa resin set soon that to retail it.

Cheers!

Alexander

Hi Alexander

outstanding job. I realy love the fabric effect on the seats, it is pot on.

You are sure the central part of the harness (the roundel) is not too big ?

again, love your work

Norbert