OH-58D Kiowa Warrior. 1/35 scale MRC Kit

Alex, the KW looks like the real deal, are you sure its a model? If you put a real backround, it will be hardly to notice that is a model.

Well, wish i had that model in my stash, along with an Apache, BH, Chinook and Huey, all U.S. Army ones.

Btw, what color did you paint the bird? Helo Drab?

All the external and internal parts must be casted, please...

Congratulations.

Rod.

I've been following your build for quite a while and every post is better that the last one! just another awesome build, another reminder there's a LOT to learn, I mean a whole LOT!

Congrats! it does look like the real deal!

What a nice build, If I want to get depressed I just look at these threads and then just go to the basement and shake the helicopter model boxes I have because I could never build to your caliper of expertize

greg

Hi Grag,

Don't blame yourself. I was not born being a skilled modeler. We all live and learn. I'm sure you'll build your models to look like a real thing one day.

And thank you for your appreciation of my Kiowa. I'm happy you are much inspired by my build.

Happy modeling!

Alexander.

Alex, the KW looks like the real deal, are you sure its a model? If you put a real backround, it will be hardly to notice that is a model.

Well, wish i had that model in my stash, along with an Apache, BH, Chinook and Huey, all U.S. Army ones.

Btw, what color did you paint the bird? Helo Drab?

All the external and internal parts must be casted, please...

Congratulations.

Rod.

Hi Rod,

Nice to hear from you. Thank you for your input.

As for the color I used... Well, I never use in-can color as is. I always mix various colors. As for the Kiowa, I used Tamiya Olive Drab as base color and added some khaki drab, some light gray, some blue. I actually can't name the proportion. I just mix them, then try what I have obtained, compare the shade with different images of the real aircraft and so on untill the color suits me.

After the final color obtained I airbrushed the parts with that 'base color' and then used in-can olive drab to slightly airbrush some spots here and there. After that I apply black gouache all over the fuselage this the use of soft paint brush. I let the gouache to dry copletely and then wash it away with warmish water. Gouashe penetrates into the ingraves and gives nice effect. The final touche is using of natural cement dust. I apply the dust onto the surface with soft paint brush and slightly rub it over the surface. That's it.

As for more parts to be casted, I'm not sure there will be more. I can't say if Zactoman really up to resin cast the interior parts to retail them despite he made some copies just for me.

I hope you, guys, could convince him to do so.

Cheers!

Alexander

As for more parts to be casted, I'm not sure there will be more. I can't say if Zactoman really up to resin cast the interior parts to retail them despite he made some copies just for me.

I hope you, guys, could convince him to do so.

If he isn't up for it I certainly am. Any and everything you've made for this model is first rate and impressive. I love the tail rotor and the weapons pylons.

I love the entire model. It is great work.

Floyd

Edited by Floyd S. Werner, Jr.
  • 11 months later...

Alex, are you ever going to release the interior set for the Kiowa? I am really interested in building one but i need first the interior set. The exterior is just amazing.

BTW, have you done any updates? Is the model done? We want to see it!

Thanks.

Rod.

Edited by salvador001

Alex, are you ever going to release the interior set for the Kiowa? I am really interested in building one but i need first the interior set. The exterior is just amazing.

BTW, have you done any updates? Is the model done? We want to see it!

Thanks.

Rod.

Hi Rod,

Nice to hear from you.

You managed to dig the thread out despite it was entombed in the haze of time? LOL

All those interior parts I mastered so far are in hands of Zactoman. He resin cast the parts just for me

but I hope he's still keeping in mind to drop them into the market one day.

As for the updates, I'm tinkering with the main rotor blades folding kit. I actually set my Kiowa build aside for my Mig-29 project.

But I think I'll try to complete the kit between my Mig-29 sessions.

Hi Ernest,

Thnx much for your comment.

Cheers!

Alexander

• 8 months later...

Hi guys,

Eventually I completed my Kiowa build.

I mastered the blade folding kit and Zactoman resin cast it. Later on I will post how to put all tose resin parts together but now some teasing pics.

51947-ff637-97560563--ub444f.jpg

51947-90118-97560583-m750x740-u7a9c8.jpg

51947-75433-97560570-m750x740-u2193d.jpg

51947-c4076-97560560-m750x740-u67d10.jpg

51947-04916-97560576--u5487e.jpg

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander

Well Eastern,

Your build on the Kiowa has been daily required reading over the past few years. I will use it, on my current and future builds, as a standard which I aspire to build too. I guess the big question now is what is your next build going to be? Rotary wing? Fixed wing? Or are you going rogue and do Sci-Fi? 

Once again thanks for sharing, in detail, your build on this OH-58.

Jager

6 hours ago, jager said:

Well Eastern,

Your build on the Kiowa has been daily required reading over the past few years. I will use it, on my current and future builds, as a standard which I aspire to build too. I guess the big question now is what is your next build going to be? Rotary wing? Fixed wing? Or are you going rogue and do Sci-Fi? 

Once again thanks for sharing, in detail, your build on this OH-58.

Jager

OK Jager,

Going rouge? Out of my usual path? :) Definately no Sci-Fi. Though...going rouge? Maybe...cheating on plastic? :)

Well, very soon I'm gonna post some pics of my current build.  ;)

Cheers!

Alexander

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys,

Now I think I have to post images of that resin stuff Zactoman resin cast for the blades folding kit.

I hope he will bring all those parts to the market soon.

So, into the pics:

51947-a85c5-98054291-m549x500-u0f461.jpg

51947-3cb8e-98054294-m750x740-uc8672.jpg

51947-1b116-98054297-m750x740-u2beb3.jpg

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander