Hasegawa 1/48th RF-4C Phantom II 'Starize'

Apolgies to anyone that's seen this build before but thought I'd post it on here as it's been a while since I contributed anything meaningful to the forum.

This is my take on the Hasegawa RF-4C, decorated in the 'Boss Bird' markings of Col. Otto K Habedank when he was the Commander of the 10th TRW RAF Alconbury UK. This base was a short trip from where I grew up and still live and I have wanted to build this plane for many years, have had the decals for about 20 years but only picked the kit up last year (have since got another 3, so more 10th TRW builds to follow). Having moved to the town of Huntingdon in 1969 aged 8 and a bit and then finding that it had planes flying over it all day from Alconbury or RAF Wyton (equi-distant in opposite direction), I was hooked for life on aviation from that day on and especially the 'Smokie' J-79 powered Phantom II, still my favourite plane 42 years on. I have no excuse for not having committed these decals to plastic a long time ago, other than life got in the way and took me out of modelling for quite a few years. Anyway, enough waffle, on with the build.

I added the following to the kit: -

Aires - RF-4B Cockpit (converted to 'C' spec with some scratch built extras)

Aires - Exhausts (without a doubt the best resin extra I've ever used, they look the business)

DMold - Seamless Intakes (very good as well, easy to fit and enhance a poor area of Hasegawa F-4's)

Xtradecal - RF-4C 'Starize' decals (behaved superbly but do need to reprint canopy names as supplied ones are wrong colour)

Not much to say about the build, it went together pretty well, just needs a bit of care around front end to avoid lots of sanding. The instructions are wrong in a few places though, especially the camera fitment (shows 3 camera's fitted in the low altitude station in a combination that didn't happen). All painting was done using Xtracrylix or Alclad II and then sealed in with Future / Klear. The decals were then applied and again sealed in with Future / Klear. I then weathered it all up with an oily black wash on the exhausts and Pro-Modelllers dark dirt everwhere else. Final coat was Xtracrylic Matt before the last little bits were attached.

Hope you like it and comments and critique welcome.

Pete.

x3q30U2.jpg

BcQ3Kdg.jpg

2iYTZGP.jpg

dE0itjB.jpg

4TElNm1.jpg

yk5EhUA.jpg

DypBtJS.jpg

MSyeABg.jpg

irXM9ea.jpg

ABrzewy.jpg

6FwbmLq.jpg

Edited by Pete W

Your model looks really nice. I really like the natural metal area around the exhausts. If you're interested, I photographed 68-0567 a couple of times, and my friend Kevin Foy later photographed it in the same markings your model has.

Here is the first photo I took of 567, on April 13, 1984 when it stopped in at Ramstein AB where I was stationed:

68-0567Apr1384ScottWilson.jpg

68-0567 stopped in at Ramstein again on April 12, 1986. She was wearing the Starize markings, but the tail wasn't yet the same as your decals. Here's two photos I took that day, which was unfortunately overcast:

68-0567Apr1286ScottWilson.jpg

68-0567closeupScottWilson.jpg

My friend Kevin Foy shot 567 on March 26, 1986 and again on July 13, 1986. Here are his photos:

68-0567March2686KevinFoy.jpg

68-0567July1386KevinFoy.jpg

Edited by Scott R Wilson

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Scott - Those photo's are great to see, really appreiciate you posting them. I have 3 more RF-4 kits, one of which will end up in the SEA wrap around scheme and it would be cool to do this same plane in it's earlier guise. I'm sure that I've seen some of Kevin's photo's during my research of this jet.

This build really seems to have stirred some good memories up for a few people and I'm extra glad that I made this jet now.

Pete

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Pete W wrote:

I added the following to the kit: -

Aires - RF-4B Cockpit (converted to 'C' spec with some scratch built extras)

Aires - Exhausts (without a doubt the best resin extra I've ever used, they look the business)

DMold - Seamless Intakes (very good as well, easy to fit and enhance a poor area of Hasegawa F-4's)

Xtradecal - RF-4C 'Starize' decals (behaved superbly but do need to reprint canopy names as supplied ones are wrong colour)

Not much to say about the build, it went together pretty well, just needs a bit of care around front end to avoid lots of sanding. The instructions are wrong in a few places though, especially the camera fitment (shows 3 camera's fitted in the low altitude station in a combination that didn't happen). All painting was done using Xtracrylix or Alclad II and then sealed in with Future / Klear. The decals were then applied and again sealed in with Future / Klear. I then weathered it all up with an oily black wash on the exhausts and Pro-Modelllers dark dirt everwhere else. Final coat was Xtracrylic Matt before the last little bits were attached.

Pete,

I'm a huge "Phantom Phan," became passionate about the aircraft back in the 70's. You

did a very nice job with this model. Really like the build, especially the paint application.

Looks like a well-maintained, but utilized operational "Spook." The only gripe I have with

the thread are the, Photobucket photos ruined by the jerks at PB. Would be great if you

could replace those for our sake!

On 4/26/2020 at 9:07 PM, The Underdog said:

Pete,

I'm a huge "Phantom Phan," became passionate about the aircraft back in the 70's. You

did a very nice job with this model. Really like the build, especially the paint application.

Looks like a well-maintained, but utilized operational "Spook." The only gripe I have with

the thread are the, Photobucket photos ruined by the jerks at PB. Would be great if you

could replace those for our sake!

Hi Underdog,

This one's a real trip down memory lane. I can't believe how long ago this build was. I couldn't find the original photo's so took some more, a little bit of dust after 9 years but surprisingly not too bad. Dragging this one out of the cabinet has made me want to build another Alconbury RF-4C now.

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete W said:

Hi Underdog,

This one's a real trip down memory lane. I can't believe how long ago this build was. I couldn't find the original photo's so took some more, a little bit of dust after 9 years but surprisingly not too bad. Dragging this one out of the cabinet has made me want to build another Alconbury RF-4C now.

Pete

Hello Pete,

I'm sure it was somewhat of an effort, but thank you so much for the newly updated

photos of this "Phabulous Phantom!" I can't stand what PB has done to their clients,

by applying that ridiculous Banner across the photos. Anyway, once again thanks for

replacing the photos - I can understand why you'd get "The Bug" for wanting to build

another Alconbury Spook... we'll be waiting and watching!