Chematic/Gomix F-84 Thunderjet Kit Info

Just got the "new" release Chematic/Gomix F-84 Thunderjet 48th scale. It is from Poland, Polish instructions. But, and here is the fun part ... TaDa ... it is tagged "The Testors Corporation" on the internal bag. Yup, it is the Hawk/Testors F-84D all over again, but with decals for F-84G-16-RE 51-10460 FS-460. I suspect this must be one of the kits from a batch Testors apparently produced and bulk-packed, some of which showed up on eBay recently as a box of (if I remember correctly) 40 kits. Excellent box art* and, though minimal, the decals are well printed. Amazingly, considering how ancient the mold is, there is little flash. So, Chematic/Gomix must have arranged with Testors to mfr the kits then did their own instructions, box art, and packaging. Kinda sorta reverse of Italeri snagging the Kinetic 'Streak kit. So, caveat emptor ... it looks similar to a Thunderjet ... accuracy wanting ... it's a "B" not a "G" ... etc. Best I can say is in its favor is that it is an easy build for a beginning modeler who would like to test a single-pulse-jet firecracker engine ... or not.

f-84g-16-re-51-10460-e2436.jpg

*The box art is dated 2003. Hmmm. When did this kit hit the market? I first saw it only three or four weeks ago. Am I behind the times, or did they take seven or so years to get from box art to kit release?

Edited by Plankwing
Just got the "new" release Chematic/Gomix F-84 Thunderjet 48th scale. It is from Poland, Polish instructions. But, and here is the fun part ... TaDa ... it is tagged "The Testors Corporation" on the internal bag. Yup, it is the Hawk/Testors F-84D all over again, but with decals for F-84G-16-RE 51-10460 FS-460. I suspect this must be one of the kits from a batch Testors apparently produced and bulk-packed, some of which showed up on eBay recently as a box of (if I remember correctly) 40 kits. Excellent box art* and, though minimal, the decals are well printed. Amazingly, considering how ancient the mold is, there is little flash. So, Chematic/Gomix must have arranged with Testors to mfr the kits then did their own instructions, box art, and packaging. Kinda sorta reverse of Italeri snagging the Kinetic 'Streak kit. So, caveat emptor ... it looks similar to a Thunderjet ... accuracy wanting ... it's a "B" not a "G" ... etc. Best I can say is in its favor is that it is an easy build for a beginning modeler who would like to test a single-pulse-jet firecracker engine ... or not.

f-84g-16-re-51-10460-e2436.jpg

*The box art is dated 2003. Hmmm. When did this kit hit the market? I first saw it only three or four weeks ago. Am I behind the times, or did they take seven or so years to get from box art to kit release?

Oh boy...great box art for an oldeee.