Hrmmmm.. if Karl and I are still on the same thought process....

I looked again this morning, and what lept out at me is the stunning precision and fine details. Such as the plackards inside. What did you use for those (on top of the various components and bottles?)

Cheers,

Mark.

Hrmmmm.. if Karl and I are still on the same thought process....

I looked again this morning, and what lept out at me is the stunning precision and fine details. Such as the plackards inside. What did you use for those (on top of the various components and bottles?)

Cheers,

Mark.

Thanks for the compliments!

I have a good selection of placard and decals squirreled away. The old set from Reheat Vintage Cockpit Details supplied most of the ones you see, including the details on the cockpit pedestal. I used some included in Mike Grant's Cockpit gauges and data plates on the fire extinguishers because they have more chrome-like silver and provide a good contrast on the brass paint. The instrument panel decal is from the ProModeler instrument panel set for their bombers. Some of the other various gauges throughout the aircraft are from the Airscale set. All these sets go a long way to adding that little extra detail that is usually overlooked. Look closely at your research material and search the internet for the various components. They will reveal good views of where the actual data plates were installed and their relative size.

As far as the precision and fine details, that is the most enjoyable part of a the build. ...For me at least!

Chris

Thanks for the compliments on yesterday's update. I have been paying extra attention to the seats on all my builds for the past few years. Since you like them so much, I will have to post a tutorial on my next build.

I will leave the bomb bay closed up on this build, so moving to the rear of the aircraft, the radio room is the next compartment to receive attention. Except the PE seat belts, everything here is scratch built. The most interesting part of this compartment was accurately reproducing the various radio components. The Radio Museum site was a great help in determining the dimensions of the various boxes.

2113340320106145938S600x600Q85.jpg

2132313460106145938S600x600Q85.jpg

2349840130106145938S600x600Q85.jpg

2642225130106145938S600x600Q85.jpg

2357243410106145938S600x600Q85.jpg

The portable oxygen bottles used throughout the aircraft.

2398015850106145938S600x600Q85.jpg

Since most US bombers used the same radio equipment, I wish some aftermarket resin company would produce sets of the various individual components. Better yet, the entire suite for each bomber type. Various companies already produce the German radios sets, so why not do the same for the other countries. Sets of the various fixed and portable oxygen bottles and regulators would be useful too.

Thanks for looking.

Chris

:punk::worship:

And yes, I agree about the radio equipment and o2 bottles. It would be nice to not have to scratch build all of that, every time. Not bad when you have one fort at a time, fut really sucks when you have 4 going at the same time. I'm not getting anywhere near as detailed as you are though.

Awesome work, really. I'd like to see a tutorial on how you did the radio sets as well.

Yeah, I'll take 20 sets!

Hey crystoffer, I dont know what you plan to do for the windows, but you might want to check the fit. I'had to rip out some of the ribbing I did in mine.

Deja vu.....was just telling rightwinger about that.

Yeah, I'll take 20 sets!

Hey crystoffer, I dont know what you plan to do for the windows, but you might want to check the fit. I'had to rip out some of the ribbing I did in mine.

Deja vu.....was just telling rightwinger about that.

I will be replacing the windows with something thinner than the 3" thick armored glass supplied in the kit. Gotta do something to make all the detail as visible as possible.

Looks complicated, but really, it's very simple. WORKS great. Best part, you can do it at any time you want really... anyway, ya, use whatever can help! Tis why I post!

Cheers,

Mark.

ps. Looking at your F... makes me really want to do it again... I say this, and yet, LMM is a long way from done...

I've been AWOL for a while, but just stopped by to see how things are going...And this one is really nice. Shows what can be done without spending a bunch on aftermarket. Great talent there Chris.

Thank you everyone for you kind comments. This was supposed to be quick build with just a few enhancements! Oh well... to late to turn back now! ;)

This update we'll do a little waist watching. The details here were fun to make, but frustrating to research. Most clear pictures are of B-17G models. The earlier versions tend to be at extreme angles and a lot of the detail is hidden by the large ammo boxes. Or the shot sis too high and doesn't show anything below window level. To complicate matters more, the equipment locations appear to have moved between the E and F models. The locations possibly even differed between manufacturers. So I decided to place the various components in their most common locations based on all the early model photos I could find.

Left waist

2508121100106145938S600x600Q85.jpg

Right waist

2929493460106145938S600x600Q85.jpg

Radio room bulkhead rear

2735209890106145938S600x600Q85.jpg

The beginnings of the ball turret mount

2117297860106145938S600x600Q85.jpg

The Sperry K-3 computing Gunsight. One each for the top and ball turrets

2757524270106145938S600x600Q85.jpg

Gotta run. I'll be back with more picture tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.

Chris

Got all the side windows in the nose and radio room cut and fitted last night. It wasn't as difficult as I thought. Thanks for the hints and bits of wisdom, they made te process much easier. I used .015 clear styrene, and the new windows really allow the detail to be seen with little to no distortion. Now for a quick dip in Future and I can have them installed this weekend.

Does anyone know of an accurate early Sperry top turret dome? The framing on the one included in the kit is not accurate. It is simplified when compared to pictures of the real thing. If I can't find a replacement, I guess I will either sand off the framing and redo it, or just live with it. :unsure:

Chris

Edited by crystoffer

There's the Squadron vac canopies that has the top turret but Idk if it's any different then the kit included piece. The F kit's turret is different though and Idk if the Squadron replicates an F or G turret. That's probably all there is out there unless Koster included a turret in any of his conversions.

I've done a little work on the ball and top turrets. The ball turret mount is finished except for the electrical and oxygen umbilicals.

2633445180106145938S600x600Q85.jpg

I was unsatisfied withe the sides of the ball turret. I'm not sure what the raised ares are supposed to represent, but the turret sides didn't resemble the real thing in any way. I temporarily glued the turret together and tried sanding them off, but that made the plastic too thin and only highlighted the roughness of the inside of the walls. After much gnashing of teeth, I finally decided to break out the trusty Dremel and grind the sides away. I cleaned up the mess with sandpaper wrapped around a 1/2" diameter brass tube. Luckily I didn't slip with either the Dremel or sandpaper. :pray: The new side pieces were fashioned from an old CD case. They were cut out using a compass with a sharpened needle. I then attached them into a cutting wheel mandrel and chucked them into the Dremel. Using a very slow speed and various grade sanding stick I carefully sanded their diameter down until they fit into the new openings.

2091420830106145938S600x600Q85.jpg

2394999360106145938S600x600Q85.jpg

The finished result was well worth the effort.

2097445420106145938S600x600Q85.jpg

Inspired by the new turret walls, I felt that the interior needs a little detail. Included are the ammo boxes, the K-3 gun sight, turret control handles, and some of the drive details. This sub assembly, the guns, and the gunners seat should provide all the visible details when looking through the circular window and side windows.

2659839640106145938S600x600Q85.jpg

2839428760106145938S600x600Q85.jpg

The top turret is up next. The entire turret is scratch built except for the Aries resin .50 cal guns. I still have mount the guns and sight. Plus add some wiring, intercom boxes, and the oxygen system. But the major assembly is done.

2683823330106145938S600x600Q85.jpg

2486630920106145938S600x600Q85.jpg

I hope you like it so far. I'll have more soon.

Chris