So why Libya?

I heard a story about after his take over in 69-70. Nasser the well known Arabic leader in 1970 held a conference of Arabic states and the new Kaddafi came to it. During the conference Khadafi was said to have launched into some rambling diatribe. After which Nasser introduced a recess in the conference and asked for a doctor in the house as he noted Khadafi was looking to be mad (crazy). This from one of the more well respected Arabic leaders in history.,

So if the revolt in Libya fails Khadafi and his equally deranged sons will get more emboldened and will wreak havoc on to his people that they have likely not seen in long time if at all.

It's not the same anymore as it is/was in Egypt, Tunisia, Bahrain etc. have been (and yes we in the west are fuuking hypocrites looking all too often at our own selfish interests) but Libya as of now must not fail in its revolt as Khadafi is said to suffer from multiple mental disorders and it's now time after 40+ years that he and his dipsh*t sons goes away. dead or alive.

OBTW, Canada and its 6 CF-18's are better than nothing.

Edited by Les / Creative Edge Photo

I lived in Libya for 9 years and we were kicked out by Ghaddafi in 1981. My father worked for Halliburton in the desert and was a roughneck.

Ghaddafi doesn't give a toss. He won't leave until he is thrown out physically.

I can absolutely guarantee to you that he will stay to the last possible second. If the coalition want him out then I am afraid that means boots on the ground!

Operation Oddessy Dawn? THats an odd one

The last U.S. operation in Libya was "Operation El Dorado Canyon" in April '86. Few of these operation titles make sense. They're just names.

Nevermind. I see there is already a thread about the MiG-23 shootdown. I ask though, if the rebels HAVE MiGs, where would they be based?

Use Google Earth and look at Banghazi.....east of the city is an airport...zooming in on the airport shows military aircraft (hardened?) shelters. I'm not sure if there are other airbases in rebel territory.

Few videos of the air forces preparing for this mission:

http://www.deredactie.be/permalink/1.985277

http://www.deredactie.be/permalink/1.985365

(And on a lighter note, carefully listen to the comment of the cameraman in the first video at 00:13, :salute: )

Cool videos....

1) What did the guy say at the 13 second mark?.....I heard it but didn't understand it.

2) The F-18's in the second video.....were those Canadian planes?

Cool videos....

1) What did the guy say at the 13 second mark?.....I heard it but didn't understand it.

2) THe F-18's in the second video.....were those Canadian planes?

Hey Steve!

1) The moment the sound of a approaching motorbike can be heard, he says "Tom Cruise" (Seems T.C. alas Maverick was getting a bit late for his sortie, lol...)

2) Those were Spanish Hornets.

Edited by RedIndian
Hey Steve!

1) The moment the sound of a approaching motorbike can be heard, he says "Tom Cruise" (Seems T.C. alas Maverick was getting a bit late for his sortie, lol...)

Tom Cruise.....that's funny. :rofl: I've got to listen to the video again. :salute:

Is Spain also involved in this? I haven't heard Spain mentioned on the news.

Gents,

Reports of RAF fast jets being involved in combat sorties already are slightly premature. RAF Typhoon's have not even deployed yet. I've just spent the day up at RAF Coningsby hoping that they would go but besides a couple of transfers down from Leuchars - QRA swapovers by the looks of things - no Typhoon movements as yet although with the amount of activity in and around the HAS areas it looks like the deployment is imminent.

The first wave of Tornado GR4's and accompanying VC-10's departed from Marham and Brize Norton only a hour or so ago. At least one flight of Lakenheath F-15's has also been overheard departing to the South this evening. Good luck all.

Gary

Hey Steve!

Who's Super Hornet is that at the beginning of the first posted link ? :salute:

I'm sure it's US Navy but what's it doing there ?

Gregg

Who's Super Hornet is that at the beginning of the first posted link ? :salute:

I'm sure it's US Navy but what's it doing there ?

It is American. It's an EA-18G flying support for the European aircraft.

Does anyone have any perspective on Tomahawk attacks on SA-5? I was led to believe Tomahawk is a sub-sonic weapon. Do SA-5s or similar SAM systems have difficulty detecting these nonetheless-slow missiles? Is this due to their small size? or low altitude?

I would have to say, the small size, and low altitude are factors.

Curt

Those Growlers are at Aviano AB-Italy, but I'd like to know where they come from too.

Yeah, does this also mark the Growlers first conflict involvement ? Or has it been used in OEF already ?

The Enterprise is in the Red sea, but CVW-1 is still using the EA-6B with VAQ-137. So must be another unit at Aviano/Sigonella

Edited by THX1138