I've read that "several Arab nations" were going to take part.

How soon is this no-fly zone coming to fruition? Pretty sure Getoffme is going to kill all the rebels before all these countries get their aircraft in Libyan airspace.

?...any thoughts of downed nato pilots later on...?

No, but there is lots of talk about how much of a joke Libyan air defenses are.

The most interesting thing I've come across regarding this is that the F-22 is slated to see its first combat action.

Edited by Quailane

One thing I have noticed is it will be interesting to see several aircraft types make their operational debut if they are deployed. For example the UAEAF Blk 60's I don't believe have yet seen action outside of exercises. And also Typhoons? I am not 100% sure but this may be there first deployment operationally as well

And several news sites are citing General Schwartz saying the F-22 may be used... veeery interesting, but I'd take that with a grain of salt though.

Tom

Edited by blackhawk7

I live near RAF Conningsby in Lincolnshire UK which is a Typhoon base. Usualy we have plenty of planes going over the house at pretty low level but nothing so far today so I'm assuming they are gearing up for deployment. My son works at RAF Akrotiri in cypress and he's told me that the existing nimrod aew planes have already arrived there from RAF Waddington.

We also have a SeaKing ready todeploy from our frigate. That should smarten them up!!

Paul

Good point... Falling parts and leaking oil from on high can certainly be deadly!

:bandhead2:

(This is meant in jest, for those who might believe that I am dissing the brave crews that will actually have to fly these antique aircraft in an active zone of hostilities - I wish them all the best)

ALF

Could be an opportunity to bring the F-22s in for its first real world operation. Though I believe it would be the Spangdahlem or Aviano Vipers or even the Lakenheath Eagles to enforce it.

Could be an opportunity to bring the F-22s in for its first real world operation. Though I believe it would be the Spangdahlem or Aviano Vipers or even the Lakenheath Eagles to enforce it.

I'd imagine that in addition to A2A assets, they will need a pretty strong SEAD capability. I think the only Air Force assets in Europe that are SEAD oriented are the F-16's at Spangdahlem. Unless they plan on also using carrier based F-18's / EA-6B's as HARM shooters.

I've read a few articles making light of Libya's air defense capability, mentioning that the most modern SAM they have are old SA-6's. I would still treat them with respect, SA-6's are the same missile that shot down Scott O'Grady's F-16 and that F-117 during the Kosovo conflict. They still have some decent ability.

So, since the Spanish are on board, this is a great thing! Hats off to Spain! Moamar, needs to go, plain and simple.

If they were truly on-board, they would be offering more than just base access to the other nations who will do the fighting (and possibly) dying. This token gesture doesn't exactly qualify them for the "Humanitarian of the Year" Award.

@11bee

To quote the BBC

1552: One by one countries are making their positions on the crisis clearer. Spain's Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero says he has asked his parliament to authorise Spanish armed forces to help enforce a no-fly zone over Libya. He called the UN resolution a "truly historic step"."

They feel they need parliamentary authority, fair enough in my book...

Cheers

Jamie

Edited by Flying Penguin
If they were truly on-board, they would be offering more than just base access to the other nations who will do the fighting (and possibly) dying. This token gesture doesn't exactly qualify them for the "Humanitarian of the Year" Award.

The Spanish are going to support the no fly zone, but they haven't announced exactly how just yet. IIRC it has to go through their parliment. So you, my friend, may well need to take your words back.

Vince

I'd imagine that in addition to A2A assets, they will need a pretty strong SEAD capability. I think the only Air Force assets in Europe that are SEAD oriented are the F-16's at Spangdahlem. Unless they plan on also using carrier based F-18's / EA-6B's as HARM shooters.

There is talk of the Tornado GR.4's deploying with ALARM for this reason.

Julien

Edited by Julien (UK)
I'd imagine that in addition to A2A assets, they will need a pretty strong SEAD capability. I think the only Air Force assets in Europe that are SEAD oriented are the F-16's at Spangdahlem.

There are also italian Tornado ECR.

I think the only Air Force assets in Europe that are SEAD oriented are the F-16's at Spangdahlem.

not only both Italy and Germany have specially oriented Squadrons equipped with Tornado ECR and HARMs, Italian ones will be on the fron line.

not only both Italy and Germany have specially oriented Squadrons equipped with Tornado ECR and HARMs, Italian ones will be on the fron line.

I think you will find the Germans are not taking part in this one.

I also think the original poster was talking about the only US SEAD being the German based F-16's.

Might also be USN EA-6B's if they put the carrier into play.

Julien

Last report I heard was that 2 squadrons of Tornado GR4s were getting ready to leave RAF Marham, equipped with alarm anti radiation missiles and storm shadow and brimstone stand off weapons. If true the brimstone would be interesting, its predominantly an anti armour missile !!!