French Rafale over Libya

This image is from the AP which is supposedly a French Rafale over Libya. According to the Revell 1/48 instructions it says that the Rafale cannot carry the under fuselage missiles if you use the wing tanks. In this image you can clearly see the under fuselage missiles with wing tanks. I am guessing that Revell was wrong? Also, what is the pod under the centerline attachment point?

french-386az03192011.jpg

This is the link to the article I got the picture from. It seems they changed the picture already. Good thing I saved it.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/03/19/french-f...military-inter/

Edited by twong
This image is from the AP which is supposedly a French Rafale over Libya. According to the Revell 1/48 instructions it says that the Rafale cannot carry the under fuselage missiles if you use the wing tanks. In this image you can clearly see the under fuselage missiles with wing tanks. I am guessing that Revell was wrong? Also, what is the pod under the centerline attachment point?

french-386az03192011.jpg

This is the link to the article I got the picture from. It seems they changed the picture already. Good thing I saved it.

I am not a Rafale expert by any stretch of the imagination, but maybe Revell was giving data for the F1 and this is an F2?

french-386az03192011.jpg

I'm no expert, but if that's over Libya ... doesn't it look like the gear bay doors are open?

Rafales are flying recce over Libya.The centreline store is a RecoNG pod.The pic was probably taken when taking off from St Dizier.

Stephen

News here has been running video of Mirage 2000's, Rafales and Tornado's taking off for points south, so if it is a current shot it would likely be from the same time.

Unaccountably I am sure I saw a CG Tomahawk launch as part of the feed (including real Tomahawk launches) as well.

The Rueters bit I saw had the Rafales taking off from Orlean. The ones I saw on CNN had three gas bags (I think) and standard AAM (Mica and Magic)--picture was a bit fuzzy.

Keeping in mind they are on a no fly mission, and the Mica can also be used on surface targets, the all AAM loadout makes sense. Besides, you gotta figure those 110 Tomahawks did a number on the IADS.

Edited by MarkW
Unaccountably I am sure I saw a CG Tomahawk launch as part of the feed (including real Tomahawk launches) as well.

I read that and thought, of course they launched from cruisers as well as submarines. Then I figured out you meant "Computer Graphics", not "Guided Missile Cruiser". Actually, it seems they lauched from DDGs but not CGs! ;)