AJ37 Viggen "Attackviggen"

• 1 month later...

Resurection...

Time to breathe some life into a dormant project....Viggen, awaken!

It´s butchering time!

I have to make room for the Two Mikes belly insert... marking the plastic to be removed..

IMG_4390.jpg

Then I brought fourth The Dremel with a cutting disc and sliced off the offending plastic!

IMG_4391.jpg

I came up with a clever idea as well, when you buy the Draken pitot tube set from Maestro you get two sets of three pitot tubes; one long for the nosecone and one long and one short for the vertical stab.

Now it happens that the long one for the vertical stab is perfect for the nose pitot tube for the Viggen! Clever eh?

SO I glued it on to the Pisco nosecone...looks smashing!

IMG_4392.jpg

I then painted the fan front with Alclad White Aluminium...

IMG_4393.jpg

And glued the Maestro PE IP to the Neomega IP shroud...

IMG_4394.jpg

ANd finally I glued in the fanfront and the new resin nose wheel well into one of the fuselage halfs.

IMG_4395.jpg

Next I´ll start work on the RAT my friend Juan designed...gonne look so great! When the RAT is doen I can glue in the cockpit and close the fuselage :D

CHeers!

You´re in luck, today I have two updates for you!

The first one is all about RAT....

We have RAT...

I started with priming the innards in Alclad grey primer/microfiller.

IMG_4396.jpg

Then I shot my usual Alclad white aluminium...

IMG_4397.jpg

Now some detail painting...I åainted the drums with Tamyia clear yellow to get the gren yellow metallic look they seem to have according to refs (great work on the details Juan!)

IMG_4398.jpg

Juan who made this set told me that you have to add additional details yourself because of casting technique issues, he has made holes where aditional pipes should go.

It´s no big deal to add these pipes, some lead wire, or in my case, thin cable will take care of this easily! Just be sure to check the refs when you´re at it.

SHould look something like this:

IMG_4399.jpg

The pipes are then painted in aluminium and some details are added with clear blue and clear red, to the bottom right there´s some dials, the faces are white and there´s a black frame around each face.

IMG_4401.jpg

A bit of clear coat and then a wash to grime it up a bit... when the wash is dry I´kk flat coat it and install it into the fuselage.

IMG_4403.jpg

Now for the second update...

Trim that body!

I glued in the cockpit into one of the fuslage halfs...starting to amass quite a bit of resin here :P

IMG_4402.jpg

I drybrushed the IP coaming and added a HUD lens of a drop of Tamyia clear yellow.(doesn´t look that yellow on a black background tho )

IMG_4404.jpg

Yup I will have to cut off the assend of the matter :P

IMG_4406.jpg

Like so...

IMG_4407.jpg

The Airframe is looking quite short right now :P

IMG_4408.jpg

I used CA-glue for glueing the cockpit and IP coaming in place then I just taped the fuselage halfs together for now.

IMG_4409.jpg

IMG_4412.jpg

As you can see there is a slight fit issue here....My fault tho since I didn´r dry fit the fuselage halfs before I glued the wheel well in place....we´ll see how I´ll sort this :/

IMG_4411.jpg

That´s all for today !

Cheers!

Edited by Aigore

A master craftsman at work, step back, get your popcorn, grab a seat and enjoy the show. See Janne this is why guys like you rain on my parade :crying2: . I love this plane, but no kit maker makes it decent enough to go at it without using a ton of AM, and you are doing a very masterful job on this build. I'm taking notes on techniques, I can use on other projects.

Aigore! This is one fine thread to discover by chance on a Saturday morning- cheers! Beautiful work here- and glad to see you'll be posting more soon.

chuk

Yup, I thought some hack and slash modelling would be up your alley, Chuk :D

By The Power of The Dremel!!

Todays update begins with the RAT innards finding their spot...Looks nice eh?

IMG_4413.jpg

I then glued the fuselage halves together, it took some convincing....glue...tape...glue...tape and so on :P

IMG_4414.jpg

And the big gap at the wheel well? Well I used the old proven method of violence and superglue to force it to obey!...and some tweaking with a knife :D

Over all this resin the new belly piece has to fit!

IMG_4417.jpg

Here we have this Two Mikes belly piece, and guess what? I don´t think MIke had the mastro resin fanfront nor the Neomega cockpit in mind when he designed this piece!

All this goods has to go!

IMG_4415.jpg

SO I brought fourth the power of the Dremel again and a hot tip for you out there... if you´re considering the madness of building a vIggen with all the goodies and don´t have a power tool, don´t get the fantfront! You´d be spending etermnity sanding it by hand!

Quite alot had to come out!

IMG_4418.jpg

IMG_4420.jpg

But I got it glued in place..sure there´ll be gaps but nothing I can´t overcome with a bit of putty!

IMG_4421.jpg

Ands it does wonders for the sillouette of the Viggen! Great work Mike!

IMG_4422.jpg

Well then, I believe I have a bit of puttying ahead of me and then I´ll begin scribing the panellines!

CHeers!

Edited by Aigore

Wow Aigore, not much styrene left on the airframe after your done with it... I can see why you delayed this project for so long, but you sure make quick work of the fuselage :salute: As usual the details look totally excellent. Good luck sanding :coolio:

/Jesse

Putty putty putty...

The airframe is sanded and scribed...so far so good :D

IMG_4423.jpg

Now for the intakes...

I begun with puttying the around the fanfront and then sanded it smooth....

IMG_4425.jpg

Then a coat of White aluminium....

IMG_4428.jpg

OK I´m almost ready to install the air intakes now, just gonna fiddle a bit more here...there´s a bar crossing the notch in the intake lip, made it from some 0.4mm piano wire.

IMG_4427.jpg

The Two mIkes intakes are in place..... we have some gaps here :P

IMG_4430.jpg

IMG_4431.jpg

First some plasticars strips to deal with the level differense and the bigger gaps...

IMG_4432.jpg

IMG_4433.jpg

Then a thick slab of putty on that!

IMG_4434.jpg

IMG_4435.jpg

I guess there´ll be more sanding tomorrow......

Cheers!