AJ37 Viggen "Attackviggen"

Been sanding a bit again :P

IMG_0269_zps1adde44c.jpg

To take my mind off sanding I decided to do a finjob :P

The top ov the vertical stab looks horrible, it´s too low and the pod for the pitottube looks terrible.

IMG_0270_zpsf294dbe8.jpg

SO first a bit of sanding....

IMG_0272_zpsa1889e08.jpg

Then a bit of plasticard on top...

IMG_0273_zpsef1e36d3.jpg

Cut it to shape..

IMG_0274_zpse60579de.jpg

Drilled a hole and stuck in the pitot tuube made from piano wire.

IMG_0276_zps95dace9e.jpg

and to top it off with some filler :P

IMG_0277_zps08af131c.jpg

Cheers!

I'm happy you resumed this build mate!

And a lot of sanding...I'm also engaged in this step on my Phantom,but for the majority of the filling job I used melting plastic:this help me a lot for rescribing panel,especially 'cause I use the Dymo tape as ruler.

Will follow your build.

:cheers: Gianni

There....

I´ve been sanding and scribing and thought of one last ting to do..position lights!

I made a cut out where I wanted them and then I superglued a couple of pieces of clear sprue in the spots.

IMG_0278_zps5722503b.jpg

Then I brought fourth The Dremel and made a rough sanding...

IMG_0279_zps5213f948.jpg

Followed by some finersanding...

IMG_0280_zps2a2cacd3.jpg

And lastly they were masked.

IMG_0281_zps45528202.jpg

And now I´ve primed it again and I´m ready to start preshading followed by paining :D

IMG_0283_zpse6db64e0.jpg

Cheers!

Great job so far. Regarding Two Mikes intakes, I merely cut off the alignment pins and moved the intakes all the way back to avoid the gaps. Worked great.

Edited by RichardL

Is there really a need for preshading on a splintered camo? I was a big fan of this technique until recently. But it doesn't work always and I rather complement my work with oil colours these days.

Naw, I've had limited success with preshade under a splinter scheme, the belly however will benefit from it greatly :D

Sorry, just another little teaser, still haven´t had an oportunity to go an buy som paint that I need...

Instead I made this lil´thingy

I glued on a little square of dymo tape on both sides of the tail fin.

IMG_0284_zpsb4b46bd2.jpg

Then I drilled a 0.8mm hole in them...

IMG_0285_zps39175571.jpg

And stuck a couple of pieces of bent 0.7mm lead wire into them.

IMG_0286_zpsc2f30309.jpg

I have no idea what the tubes are good for but since they´re there on the real aircraft I should add them on my model as well :P

Cheers!

Ok, Tomorrow I promise I´ll buy some paint :P

This is what I´ve done so far today tho....

First I went over the model with 4000 grit micro mesh to smooth the surface.

IMG_0290_zps67936827.jpg

Then I preshaded the bottom..

IMG_0292_zps27ee66b5.jpg

And then I shot a clear coat on top it all ...you´ll see why later.

IMG_0293_zpsb87e8cbd.jpg

BY the way this is what the beastie will carry: 16 120kg bombs...a full load :D

IMG_0296_zps20c28039.jpg

I prepared other stuff for primer as well while I was at it :D

IMG_0297_zpsd3c3bf0d.jpg

Cheers!

Well done, friend! You are almost there with that kit. I,m really intrigued about gloss varnish on the upper fuselage...

Juan

Thanx Juan :D

Ya shall see shortly ....

Cool job, I been following your progress closely, I have two of these, one already rescribed. What bombs are those?

cheers

Thanx DGP :D

Those are "Sprängbomb" m/69, that is pretty much ordinary general purpous 120 kg iron bombs, about similar in size to american Mk81 slicks fitted with "daisy cutter" trigger.

Four are carried on a M/71 launcher and AJ can be fitted with 4 launchers, two under the wings and two under the fuselage pylons.

A little link to where to get them

Here we go!

Well the reason for the clear coat was that I´m putting down a coat of Alclad white alumnium!

This will be the base for some chipping to come later :D

IMG_0298_zpsf1032ee7.jpg

And on top of that I shot spots of FS30219 representing the tan color and also the smallest color! When doing a Viggen splinter scheme I start with the smallest colors first.

IMG_0300_zps61244598.jpg

MAsk it off....

IMG_0301_zps4350e06d.jpg

Next I went for the medium green, it´s a mix of 6 parts tamyia XF-5 green and 1 part XF-2 white and 1 part XF-3 yellow.

IMG_0302_zps9da4c30d.jpg

Later today I´ll mask it off and put down the dark green...

Cheers!

Hi mate!

Been thinking about your intention of doing some chipping on your kit...I don,t intend to bug your work, but honestly, I think that chipping the paint to show the bare metal on this aircraft could be slightly overdone. I have never seen an AJ in this guise, did you? what I have seen on some well weathered aircrafts is the colours toning down a lot and even you can see a yellowish tone under the brown and light green mainly. Take a look over the internet and on the Airdoc book. This is mainly evident on some SK examples! Could this be possible due to some kind of yellow primer?

On the other hand, of course, I think that the chipping way is good but only on the leading edges, but not on the main part of the airframe or wings. Again, I don,t intent to bug your work, friend, just trying to help. What do you think about this considerations?

;)/>

RGDS

Juan

No probs, Juan :D

You're right about chipping on the leading edges, I'm not going to over do it however chipping shows pretty well on the splinter viggen. Mainly the chipping is around service hatches, air intake lips, rear of the reversation slits, around the cockpit and upper side of the main wings close to the fuselage. Even pretty newly painted aircrafts were quite chipped after a short while. Of course individuals show different amounts of chipping...just got to eyeball the refs :D

OK then. I see what you say about chipping on some specific areas. I didn,t noticed previosly... You are authorized now to go with that.

About what I said on my post about the yellowish tone on specific areas, what do you thinks about? do you think that it could be due to any kind of primer aplied to the airframe?

RGDS

Juan