AJ37 Viggen "Attackviggen"

Those are "Sprängbomb" m/69, that is pretty much ordinary general purpous 120 kg iron bombs

What color are those bombs, deep bronze green like the British bombs or a different shade of green? In the photos that I've seen, they appeared to be slightly lighter and greener than deep bronze green.

OK then. I see what you say about chipping on some specific areas. I didn,t noticed previosly... You are authorized now to go with that.

About what I said on my post about the yellowish tone on specific areas, what do you thinks about? do you think that it could be due to any kind of primer aplied to the airframe?

RGDS

Juan

Looking at pics of worn Viggens it seems like there´s a yellow-beige primer underneath but also the medium green has lots of yellow in it and when really worn by weather and wind it takes on a yellowish tint..Tho this kind of wear is not applicable on an operational machine but on like this museum piece that´s outdoors year round.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Sweden---Air/Saab-AJS37-Viggen/2086468/L/&sid=e1e3497ed36e70c018339b77fe640383

Talking about museum planes...check out the colors on this one! If you ever try to use this picture as a paint guide I´ll spank you!

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Sweden---Air/Saab-AJSH37-Viggen/1855364/&sid=e1e3497ed36e70c018339b77fe640383

???

Not to be alarmed, that was just Moritz dropping by and being happy things are moving along with the build :D/>

What color are those bombs, deep bronze green like the British bombs or a different shade of green? In the photos that I've seen, they appeared to be slightly lighter and greener than deep bronze green.

I´m not sure of the exact color but I´d go with a dark olive green/dark green color

07.jpg

Don't you want to use FS30117 since FS30219 is too beige and doesn't have enough red tint to it?

The hue varies a great deal...some are almost german redbrown/NATO brown while others have a very bleak grey-tan, check the refs of the particular aircraft you´re modelling.

Right then!

The upper side is finally painted and it turned out alright :D

First I masked off the dark green (XF-13)

IMG_0308_zpsaee05489.jpg

Then I shot the final color, XF-69 NATO black.

IMG_0309_zpsd07d253d.jpg

And it was time to unmask! Mmmm...neat :D

IMG_0311_zpsf6b7007d.jpg

Well I had some paint letting go at the foreplanes, Primer and all :/ Didn´t stick as well to the resin as I wanted.

Oh well such is life, just got to better those areas...perhaps bare metal that´s showing? :P

IMG_0312_zpsb255ad67.jpg

Talking about metal, you remeber I painted it all in Alclad white aluminum before I started painting, well this is how some careful chipping will be done:

Lightly rubbing with tweezers and the metal coat underneath will show :D

IMG_0313_zpsb79bd158.jpg

Now I´ll give it a rest for tonight and then I start chipping it before I mask and paint the under side and details.

Cheers!

Edited by Aigore

I love that color and pattern scheme - those and the aircraft are a perfect match really.

Shame about the canard but I'm sure you will fix it quickly and thoroughly to the point where you'd never known it had happened :)

Look forward to seeing this completed!

MH

I love that color and pattern scheme - those and the aircraft are a perfect match really.

Shame about the canard but I'm sure you will fix it quickly and thoroughly to the point where you'd never known it had happened :)/>

Look forward to seeing this completed!

MH

THan mate :D

I´ve been through worse mishaps :D

The splinter cammo turned out great Aigore. :thumbsup:/>

Thanks for sharing the step-by-step. I'd always wondered how to make a good job of something so complicated. You make it look easy! ;)/>

Cheers.

Thanx geedubelyer :D

Good thing my idle ramblings made sense to someone :D

:jaw-dropping:/> :jaw-dropping:/> Holy s***, Janne! :jaw-dropping:/> :jaw-dropping:/>

A real beauty you have got here :wub:/>

Greetings

Diego

Thanx Diego :D

Viggen was a gorgeous machine in it´s day!

Been messing some with the Viggen again :P

Repaired the foreplane paintjob, madse quick mask from a post it note... shot some primer...

IMG_0314_zpscfe8d8de.jpg

And then some dark green...I can live with that.

IMG_0315_zps7d0910ad.jpg

Next I masked and painted the belly with FS63473.

IMG_0317_zps0b2f19cd.jpg

IMG_0318_zps83c0ab70.jpg

Some more masking...

IMG_0319_zps6eead272.jpg

Painted gloss black (I use alclad glossblack, it dries instantly and is wonderfully gloss.) and why the intake is black well...

IMG_0320_zps8d8eacdd.jpg

It´s going to be unpainted aluminium, the individual I´m making had an intake replaced and it was unpainted for some time...thought it´s look interesting :D

IMG_0322_zpsd42d8372.jpg

Lastly I went over the model with sharp tweezers and the steel brush wheel with The Dremel and well rubbed it here and there :P

IMG_0324_zpscf1b009c.jpg

Cheers!

at the risk of sounding negative, I agree with Kasatka. I really like the subtle chipping around the panels on the main body, but I'm personally not too sure about that tail section.

OK, I haven't seen what photo's your referencing off, and I also know absolutely nothing about the subject matter at hand, but I just can't imagine that area being that hard-worn enough to get that kind of weathering. But as I hinted, I am most likely very wrong here. I just have never seen it before now on any of the pictures I've seen of the Viggen

However, I'm sure you know what your doing, so please don't be offended by the above. I feel it kinda detracts a little for my tastes from the really nice splinter camo work you've done.

Cheers

MH

Thanx Sergey and MH :D

Oh, I'm not the least bit offended :D but perhapsI should explain myself.

It's due to the reversation, the area infront of the slits are cleaned very very often and can be worn to the metal before it's due repaint. The are aft of the slits are subject to heat and boiling off. These effects are time specific to individuals during their lifetime... All viggen has been worn this way within a very few years. What I'm modelling is a specific individual at a specific time during it'd lifetime when it looked like this. The picture lies a bit as well since there's actually less metal showing through than you might think because of the reflections from the polished surface. :D

Aigore impressive work. :D

AIRFIX(Esci) A kit only for the brave. I love Viggen birds and this splinter scheme.

Excelent plane. But forgotten for the kits makers

I wait for a Tarangus kit 1/48, I hope a good kit and not so expensive. :whistle:/

I still your work with attention.

Greetings

Fede

Edited by FEDE

Yup, the very one :D

It´s an AJ from the mid 80´s according to Jan Jörgensen "Swedish Viggens"

It looks very interesting with the unpainted leading edges and wing probes as well as the unpainted intakes (I´ve come to the conclusion that both intakes were unpainted).

Edited by Aigore

Double updatates today, got kinda late yesterday so I never posted yesterdays upate...more today tho :P

Oki, this is a very peculiar Viggen it seems. All the leading edges are stripped of paint as are the forward parts of the intakes. At first I thought only ine intake was unpainted but I´ve deduced that both must be unpainted.

A bit of masking to do then...

IMG_0325_zpsfa655da0.jpg

Ah, that turned out well, first I shot alcad gloss black and then Alclad white aluminium.

IMG_0328_zps93b1ff9c.jpg

Now on to something fun, ordonance!

After priming I painted the bombs in yellow...

IMG_0330_zps79bf6868.jpg

masked the stripes...

IMG_0331_zps7ca85b71.jpg

and shot Tamyia XF-61 dark green on top,

IMG_0334_zps0c214507.jpg

And unmasked...the trigger was brush painted in flat black.

IMG_0335_zpsb0140408.jpg

A family picture :D

IMG_0336_zpsd1f7e130.jpg

Time to move on to the undercarriage....

Wasn´t too thrilled about this bit but it´s got to be done :P Never been a fan of working in white metal.

Anyways..

I begun by drilling a 0.6mm hole in the protruding detail to fit a 0.5mm piano wire length through it, the pianowire is cut to 13.5 mm.

The guide specified 13mm but I gave it another 0.5mm to stick into the base of the wheel supports.

IMG_0340_zpse6cde7f9.jpg

Then I drilled a 1mm hole at the base of the gear leg to fit the base of the strut support. Glued the bases with CA glue.

IMG_0342_zps96bc87b1.jpg

And fitted the strut support arms as well as the scissor links, the scissorlinks has 4 3 1mm holes and one 1.5mm hole drilled in each scissorlink.

IMG_0343_zpsda5eba48.jpg

End of part 1